PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Non-Square/Enix/Squenix RPG series

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2014, 05:22 AM
What it says on the tin, ignoring the works of Enix, Square, or Square-Enix, what are your top five RPG series?

The Man
08-18-2014, 05:40 AM
1. Suikoden
2. Mother/EarthBound
3. Shadow Hearts
4. uhh... maybe Lufia? idk.

I need to play more non-Squenix RPG series apparently

Skyblade
08-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Series? Including or excluding single title IPs? Not that it really matters to my list, but I am curious.

1. Persona
2. Golden Sun
3. Shining Force
4. Mass Effect
5. Fire Emblem

Also, I figured I might as well pitch this in.
6w1v4p-Z4vE

I don't fully agree with the list, but it's still an excellent watch that can suggest some great titles, or point out ones that might be overlooked.

Pike
08-18-2014, 05:45 PM
1. The Elder Scrolls
2. Deus Ex
3. Pokemon
4. Fallout
5. Zelda if it counts but I don't think it does, so tossup between Torchlight, Diablo and KotOR. Good gravy Torchlight is really good. I imagine Baldur's Gate would be up here somewhere but I haven't played BG2 yet and that's the biggie :(

Sephiroth
08-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Interesting how that guy in the video says "no Square, no Enix" but mentions Lost Odyssey, something from Hironobu Sakaguchi. I guess it is still not so well known that people behind a companies' name make the games, not a name of a company. A former Square employee/creator of Final Fantasy counts as much, especially if so important.

Anyways:

My vote goes to the Atelier Series.

Shauna
08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Interesting how that guy in the video says "no Square, no Enix" but mentions Lost Odyssey, something from Hironobu Sakaguchi. I guess it is still not so well known that people behind a companies' name make the games, not a name of a company. A former Square employee/creator of Final Fantasy counts as much, especially if so important.

I guarantee that ProJared knows that Sakaguchi made Lost Odyssey, and that he used to work for Square. :p But, his stipulations were to not include anything by Square or Enix, and he didn't, regardless of who actually made Lost Odyssey.

Sephiroth
08-18-2014, 06:30 PM
I guarantee that ProJared knows that Sakaguchi made Lost Odyssey, and that he used to work for Square. :p But, his stipulations were to not include anything by Square or Enix, and he didn't, regardless of who actually made Lost Odyssey.

It really does not matter if he includes Square Enix as a company or not, just as I explained. Those RPGs are known to be made by certain well known people (not that it was only made by them I just cannot name anyone) and when Square suddenly would no longer have Hironobu Sakaguchi (which it hasn't), Nobuo Uematsu (which it hasn't), Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase, Daisuke Watanabe, Motomu Toriyama, Kazushige Nojima and such and they would all make one company together that makes a game you cannot say "this one does count because it was not made by Square".
Nothing is made by Square Enix the person. Square Enix is no person (something you know of course), it is a company for which people are working and a game of a company not called "Square Enix" but made by the key elements that are known to have made the RPGs of Square is equal to "a game made by Square" as it is still the same people and that is what is important for everyone as just working for a successful company does not automatically mean you are good. It is the people themselves who have the talent and in case of Square Enix or other game creators we always think of certain people who work for them and define the games we like. And that is everything I want to say with it. The companies' name is not important, they do not suddenly vanish into nothingness just because they leave and have the same skills wherever they work. So using 10 games (he didn't, that is an example) that were all made by ex-Square Enix worker thats were important for production can't be really counted in such a list, the name of the company not being the same is no excuse then. They become part of another company but are still the geniuses which defined other things. For the same reason Mistwalker games were often introduced to people as games "made from the creator of Final Fantasy". As a part of a company we always can say "company c made the game" and that is not wrong as whoever works for them is a part of them. Still those who do the work are important and defining. So five people making a game for another company instead of the one from before does not make a difference. We can expect the same kind of success at least from their part. A company name is more important when it comes to selling things. But as said, even there are exceptions because Hironobu Sakaguchi for example is so popular that his name alone was enough as people at least somehow knew what he defined.

I hope that cleared it up a bit.

Shauna
08-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the essay, but I knew exactly what you were saying to begin with. :p It still doesn't change though, that the stipulation for his video was "No games from under the Square Enix banner" and he followed that through. Yes, the people behind the banner are who count, but it makes no odds to his list and the one rule he had for it.

Anyway, on topic:

Suikoden
Wild ARMs
Tales of
Atelier Games
Vandal Hearts

Ayen
08-18-2014, 08:10 PM
1.) Mass Effect
2.) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3.) Pokemon
Huh.

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2014, 07:11 AM
5. Xenosaga
4. Wild ARMS
3. Breath of Fire
2. Suikoden
1. Shin Megami Franchise

Del Murder
08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Mass Effect
Breath of Fire
Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun

escobert
08-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Zelda
Suikoden
Pokemon
The Elder Scrolls
Guild Wars

Noire
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
1. Disgaea
2. Atelier
3. Hyperdimension Neptunia
4. Tales
5. Luminous Arc

...that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. A lot of my favourite JRPGs aren't part of series~

Bright Shield
08-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Lunar
Suikoden
Grandia
Mother
MegaTen

Motdrafin
08-20-2014, 11:53 PM
1. Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona, DDS, Devil Summoner, etc.)
2. MOTHER
3. Tales of
4. Xenoblade
5. Fire Emblem

Laddy
08-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Tales, Ultima, MegaTen

Hollycat
08-24-2014, 05:30 PM
1. Persona
2. Pokemon
3. Mass Effect
4. Elder Scrolls
5. Fallout

Boom.

chionos
08-25-2014, 01:40 AM
Mass Effect
Torchlight
The Elder Scrolls
Breath of Fire
Phantasy Star
Lunar

Yes, that's 6. That's a bonus. Only losers bitch about bonuses.

Wolf Kanno
08-25-2014, 02:57 AM
Mass Effect
Torchlight
The Elder Scrolls
Breath of Fire
Phantasy Star
Lunar

Except when you're being taken out to the yard to be shot, don't want to be the bonus then. :wcanoe:

chionos
08-25-2014, 03:00 AM
Mass Effect
Torchlight
The Elder Scrolls
Breath of Fire
Phantasy Star
Lunar

Except when you're being taken out to the yard to be shot, don't want to be the bonus then. :wcanoe:

Only losers bitch about being shot.

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Do we get to count MMOs?

chionos
08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Do we get to count MMOs?

I don't see why not.

arenzi
08-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Valkyria Chronicles, Pokemon. I don't know what else, I have a list of RPGs I still need to play.

metagloria
08-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I can only think of Xenosaga and Tales.

Freya
08-26-2014, 06:56 PM
1. Mass Effect
2. World of Warcraft
3. Dragon Age
4. Pokemon
5a. Zelda if it counts
5b. Lost Odyssey if 5a doesn't count then this one

Rin Heartilly
11-09-2014, 03:28 PM
1. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona series
2. Fire emblem series
3. Pokemon
4. Disgaea
5. Tales series

Rez09
11-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Hmmm . . . off the top of my head . . .

1) Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
2) Tales of Phantasia
3) Pokemon Pearl
4) Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal
5) Suikoden I

Colonel Angus
11-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Phantasy Star
Breath of Fire

Pokemon, I guess...

That's all I got.

Polnareff
11-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Breath of Fire
Grandia
Atelier series
Suikoden
Star Ocean? Or maybe the SMT series. I can't decide. Or maybe even Xenosaga.

Pumpkin
11-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Tales series
Suikoden
.hack
Xenosaga
Dark Cloud

Jowy
11-13-2014, 10:33 AM
DARK SOULS

NeoCracker
11-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Breath of Fire
Xenosaga
Wild Arms
Shin Megami Tensai
Atelier

Vyk
11-15-2014, 06:37 PM
I've played a lot of JRPGs, and lots were part of series. But I don't think I've been grabbed by many whole series yet (only liked Awakening out of Fire Emblem, only really liked Xillia out of Tales of)

What I can come up with is:

Shining _____ sereis (Force, Darkness, Wisdom, Holy Arc, etc)
Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect
Dragon Age

Other than a couple of Elder Scrolls or Diablo games, I can't really think of anything. And those were more just fun time wasters. Extremely fun and well built time wasters. But for me to say "I really enjoyed that RPG" I feel like it has to have a more gripping narrative and I probably should have actually beaten it. I haven't beaten any Bethesda games, or any Baldur's Gate or anything

Egami
01-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Hmmm...

1. The Elder Scrolls
2. Souls Series (Demon, Dark Souls)
3. Baldur's Gate
4. Dragon Age
5. Neverwinter Nights

Honorable mention goes to Mass Effect and Shin Megami Tensei (Persona, Digital Devil Saga).