PDA

View Full Version : Yasunori Mitsuda vs. Nobuo Uematsu

Forsaken Lover
08-20-2014, 04:37 AM
Alsright classic JRPG fans, it's time to get your pitchforks and torches out.

Who is the better composer?

VeloZer0
08-20-2014, 07:07 AM
It would be a tough call, but the number of excellent scores Uematsu has put out is considerably larger.

Bolivar
08-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Mitsuda makes amazing music but Uematsu's portfolio is just untouchable.

Wolf Kanno
08-21-2014, 02:13 AM
In terms of quantity of works I feel Nobuo Uematsu has the stronger collection of good compositions on his resume, in terms of quality, I feel Yasunori Mitsuda beats out Uematsu even though Mitsuda's works tend to be hit or miss.

chionos
08-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Nobody's Nobuo
Uematsu

Del Murder
08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
This fight is a little unfair. It's like a king vs....a god.

Forsaken Lover
08-21-2014, 06:42 AM
Some would say Chrono Cross and Xenogears' soundtracks were godly.

chionos
08-21-2014, 06:54 AM
And some would say Lady Gaga is an artist. Some of the same people, I'd say.

Some. Are. Wrong.

Forsaken Lover
08-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Huh, I thought the one thing everyone agreed on with regards to Chrono Cross was that it was easily one of the best JRPG OSTs of all time.

Del Murder
08-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Yeah it was. I'm being e-dramatic for effect here.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Nobuo has done more, and more of what he has done is better, but there are individual pieces by Yasunori that stand out to me more than anything Nobuo has done.

They're both really good, and Nobuo is probably more consistently talented, but I still picked Yasunori. It's because I feel that when he get's it right he really gets it right.

metagloria
08-21-2014, 05:11 PM
This fight is a little unfair. It's like a king vs....a god.
+1

Forsaken Lover
08-25-2014, 02:20 AM
You know I just realized it was probably a foregone conclusion who would win the poll.

>Final Fantasy composer is on poll
>This is a Final Fantasy forum.

VeloZer0
08-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Which is a completely different fanbase than CT/CC. I mean look at how FF6 is running away with the FF6 vs CT thread. ;)

The Man
08-25-2014, 03:20 AM
If Mitsuda were matched against any other composer, he would probably win, but pitting him against Uematsu isn't even fair. Uematsu has so many brilliant soundtracks that there is no chance of anyone winning against him, especially on a Final Fantasy forum.

I didn't vote, though, for the record. I can't choose between them (although I have way more plays of Uematsu on last.fm, because he has way more music).

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Uematsu hands down.

Sefie1999AD
08-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Both are very good composers, and some of Yasunori Mitsuda's emotional songs are even better than Nobuo Uematsu's, but I'd still pick Uematsu for diversity: he seems to do pretty well with upbeat songs, rock songs, vocal songs, orchestral songs and touching songs alike. Mitsuda's battle tunes, on the other hand, seem to be hit-or-miss. "Battle with Magus", "World Revolution", "Edge of Death" and "Dragon God" from the Chrono series are great battle themes, but I just thought "Battle I", "Hurricane", "People Seized with Life", "FATES - God's Destiny" and "In the Time of Disorder" (CC's final battle song!!) weren't impressive enough battle themes, and I wasn't impressed by Xenogears and Xenosaga's battle themes, either.

Sephex
08-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Why do we have to do this? They are both excellent composers. Why do we have to do this? There is no good way this will end. Why do we have to do this?

Depression Moon
08-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Uematsu easily, though my only exposure to him is Chrono Trigger, one of the Kid Icarus Uprising songs and his arrangements of Vs Marx and Pikmin 2 World Map from Brawl.

edczxcvbnm
09-04-2014, 08:40 PM
For me it is Mitsuda by far. Uematsu can be good but by and large he rarely reaches the heights that Mitsuda has. I can throw on Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger of Xeno something and not want to skip much of what is there. I want to skip the majority of any FF OST (Though they work in the game). For me that leaves Uematsu as good but not great. Why this is, I have no idea?