PDA

View Full Version : For a good time, hold select and mash square

fat_moogle
08-20-2014, 10:48 PM
There's something satisfying about boosting your GF during a summon! I boosted every time, did everyone else?

Wolf Kanno
08-21-2014, 12:01 AM
I always do though I wish there had been more variety with the boost mechanics. Playing Red Light Green Light with the X button kind of got boring.

MJN SEIFER
08-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I was useless at it. I always failed to stop pressing in time, and got sent back down to a lower number...

EDIT: Agree with Wolf Kanno - they should have varied it (maybe a different command for each GF?)

Colonel Angus
08-21-2014, 12:18 AM
I also would have liked a little variety. Seemed extremely random when you had to stop. Sometimes you could beef it up to 100, others 85.

Ayen
08-21-2014, 01:05 AM
I never knew this existed.

fat_moogle
08-21-2014, 01:10 AM
I agree that different commands for different GF's would have been a nice touch. I guess you're limited to what you can do while you're holding select at the same time.

I never knew this existed.

Haha, really? You didn't have a good time =p

chionos
08-21-2014, 06:16 AM
There's something satisfying about boosting your GF during a summon! I boosted every time, did everyone else?

Mmmm, yeah, I love boosting my gf. During summons, mid-battle, in the morning first thing, right before bed, all the time.

Always boost your gf, fellas. Gotta hit that button.
Flick the button.

Flick it.

MJN SEIFER
08-21-2014, 11:23 AM
I agree that different commands for different GF's would have been a nice touch. I guess you're limited to what you can do while you're holding select at the same time. I just tested it out, and you're not all that limited. The only thing that can cause problems is the D-Pad, but that can be solved by keeping the finger holding select in the right place.

I would have it that the faster you enter the command the more of a boost the attack gets, and the complexity of the command depends on the GF, i.e. early GFs like Shiva and Ifrit have fairly simple commands (but still more challenging to enter than Zell's non-finisher Duel commands), but GFs like Eden would have more complex commands.

Uchu
08-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Doing the boosting on a Vita is a pain the a-hole. Especially if you're charging it at the time.

Mmmm, yeah, I love boosting my gf. During summons, mid-battle, in the morning first thing, right before bed, all the time.

Always boost your gf, fellas. Gotta hit that button.
Flick the button.

Flick it.

Oh, you :wacky: .

EDIT: Your comment has ruined all posts in this thread for me, even my own. :lol:

Ayen
08-22-2014, 02:11 AM
The summons being called "GF" have never been more appropriate. Or inappropriate, in this case.

metagloria
08-22-2014, 12:51 PM
First of all, this was one of the best things in the game.

Second of all, my friends and I would have boosting contests to see who can get different GFs the highest, and my best friend and I have records that I've never found anyone online who can claim to have beaten. We can get everything from Brothers up (except Tonberry) to 250, Siren to 243, Shiva to 235 or 239, Quezy to 214 I think... (no turbo, no cheating, just straight button mashing)

Nate
08-22-2014, 02:24 PM
I didn't find out about boosting until halfway through the game or so. But when I did I used it all the time. I think it was a cool detail that made battles more interesting past holding X and waiting for the summon sequence to complete.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-23-2014, 08:32 PM
For a long time all I knew about boost was that I wanted to learn it first because it's 10 ap.

Colonel Angus
08-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Ya know, if you guys just bothered to use the tutorials...:erm:

fat_moogle
08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Ya know, if you guys just bothered to use the tutorials...:erm:
Quistis should have mentioned this when she's reeling off her tutorial speeches, just to make sure everybody knew what to do xD

"Next we'll talk about..."

*press X*

"Boosting."

"Press X"

"Using boost is simple and..."

*press X*

"...increases the amount of damage dealt by your G..."

*press X*

"...F."

*press X*

"Once you've summoned you can..."

*press X*

"Have a good time by holding select like this..."

*try to press X to skip this bit but you have to watch*

"...and by mashing square...like..."

" this!"

"But be careful, mash square at the wrong time and your boost will..."

*press X*

"Reset."

*Press X*

"This concludes the tutorial. Thank you, and good luck."

Ayen
08-24-2014, 09:59 PM
I would always read Quistis' tutorial speech and then forget everything she said.

I was a troubled student, after all.

MJN SEIFER
08-24-2014, 11:03 PM
<snip> Yeah, I was like that to be honest. I'm usually okay with reading these things, but doing it like this got in the way for me, as I wanted to go straight to the mission. I get now, that it was because it's meant to be like a school, but I like "Beginner’s Hall" type tutorials that I can choose to visit - Cloud's explanation of Materia wasn't too bad because it's the only one that happened in game (and you still had a choice to not even see it, as sometimes if you didn't press the cancel button quick enough the tutorial would keep going, whether you liked it or not.)