PDA

View Full Version : When does ice cream become a sundae?

Del Murder
08-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Miriel and I differ in opinion here. I say it's a sundae as long as it has 2 of the following five toppings:

- Nuts
- Sprinkles
- Chocolate syrup/hot fudge
- Whipped cream
- Cherry

Miriel thinks it all comes down to whip cream. If it has it, it's a sundae. If not, it's an ice cream. So even if it is a bowl of ice cream with hot fudge, nuts, sprinkles and a cherry, it's still not a sundae. That's just crazy talk.

qwertysaur
08-21-2014, 07:15 AM
It's a sundae if there are at least 2 scoops and two different toppings, with whipped cream and hot fudge the most iconic. :quina:

Shorty
08-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Hot fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry makes it a sundae.

I omit the cherry, so I have never in fact had a sundae because marachino cherries are the worst things ever.

Quindiana Jones
08-21-2014, 08:14 AM
If it comes in a funky cupbowl thing, and has some fancy toppings.

Rantz
08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
If it comes in a funky cupbowl thing, and has some fancy toppings.
That's how I always saw it too. The dish is definitely a part of it.

fire_of_avalon
08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
IMHO you only need one topping to make a sundae, and that's syrup. It's a sad, po' boy sundae but still a damn sundae.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Typically you need a special dish, toppings, and at least two flavors of ice cream.

One flavor of ice cream and toppings is probably acceptable, but I just call that fancy fucking ice cream. :cool:

Ergroilnin
08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Is it in a glass?

Then it's a sundae.

If it's not, then it's just a normal ice cream.

Nate
08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
The addition of either whipped cream or a syrup creates a sundae. Before that, it's just ice cream with toppings.

Formalhaut
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
The Sundae dish is definitely part of it, I think.

noxious.sunshine
08-22-2014, 01:21 AM
Hot Fudge and a cherry is all that qualifies for me as a sundae. I'm not big on whipped cream. Will take nuts though (hur hur hur). And a brownie underneath. Fo Sho.

Agent Proto
08-22-2014, 04:24 AM
I never really thought to consider this question. I always assumed that if it was topped with whipped cream, it's sundae.

Colonel Angus
08-22-2014, 04:44 AM
It has to have a minimum of hwipped cream & syrup to be a sundae.

& Shorty is a communist for hating maraschino cherries.

chionos
08-22-2014, 04:59 AM
So, to Miriel, a bowl of ice cream with some whipped cream on top is a sundae? Like, no nuts, no syrup, no fruit, no nothing, just ice and whipped creams.
This should be a BBT episode and it would be called the Cream Redundancy.

Cause that's all that would be. Redundant cream.

Ice cream with a bunch of stuff on it is a sundae to me. Any combination of things. Although the quintessential sundae to me would consist of:

2 scoops ice cream

nuts

the 2 major syrups:
chocolate
caramel

fruits:
pineapple w/ sauce
strawberries w/ sauce

more nuts

whipped cream optional

notice: i don't like sprinkles
and I usually let someone else eat my cherry

blackmage_nuke
08-22-2014, 08:59 PM
To me adding any other ingredient to ice-cream including different flavoured ice-cream makes it a sundae.

Much like how adding any other ingredient to an alcoholic beverage makes it a cocktail.

Shiny
08-23-2014, 02:20 AM
Miriel and I differ in opinion here. I say it's a sundae as long as it has 2 of the following five toppings:

- Nuts
- Sprinkles
- Chocolate syrup/hot fudge
- Whipped cream
- Cherry

Miriel thinks it all comes down to whip cream. If it has it, it's a sundae. If not, it's an ice cream. So even if it is a bowl of ice cream with hot fudge, nuts, sprinkles and a cherry, it's still not a sundae. That's just crazy talk.

So if it has nuts and sprinkles it's a sundae? YOU HEATHEN.

It must have the following in order to be a sundae: Chocolate sauce/chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup, whipped cream, cherry, sprinkles (any kind), ice cream (vanilla typical but any kind is probably okay). The nuts are optional.

Spuuky
08-23-2014, 03:58 AM
Ice cream with a second non-ice-cream topping on it is a sundae. That's what the word means.