PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok Online

Ergroilnin
08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Anyone still plays this grindtastic korean old MMORPG?!

I sure do and I love it!

What kind of servers do you like?

Mirage
08-21-2014, 07:25 PM
I tried playing it again recently but I couldn't really get as into it as I could before.

Ergroilnin
08-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Aw. I can't just quit. I tried quitting like 20 times but I always come back.

The worst thing though is that nowadays the low rate close to official servers die within a year or so T_T

escobert
08-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I always played high rate servers. Haven't played in years.

Dr Unne
08-21-2014, 10:26 PM
I started during alpha. I believe Morroc and Prontera were the only towns that existed and Swordie/Archer/Aco/Thief/Merchant(?) were the only classes? The pyramid dungeon with the mummy boss (Osiris? I can't remember) was there, I remember that. There were no skills and no advanced jobs. In those days, it was possible to sit on the exit portals between areas, thus blocking anyone from using them, so people would do that a lot and cause big backups of angry people.

Sometime during alpha or beta, they let you start crafting hats. One of the hats was Bunny Ears, which required Cat Ears and a 4-Leaf Clover. Very shortly after putting this into the game, they screwed something up and prevented 4-Leaf Clover from dropping from the monster that was supposed to drop it. It's supposed to be an extremely rare drop to begin with, so no one could be SURE that it was bugged, maybe everyone was just unlucky, but as time went on it became clear that it was impossible to craft new Bunny Ears. Existing Bunny Ears thus became absurdly rare and sought-after. They were selling for probably 1000x as much as anything else in the game. This was my first taste of 1) MMO economy 2) MMO status symbols and the weird psychology behind it 3) Gravity's suckiness at running a game. Like how hard could it have been to fix this bug?

Other fond memories include server crashes, twice-monthly rollbacks due to said server crashes, game-breaking lag, and the uprising of bot armies that'd hog all the enemies and killsteal the crap out of you. Also the broken-English "Dear all user" announcements by GOD-POING. Many things from that game are still memes between my spouse and I.

I haven't touched RO in a long time but I do have some good memories to go with the bad. I got pretty high-level on the official servers.