PDA

View Full Version : FF Open World

Ergroilnin
08-21-2014, 03:45 PM
So,

why did SE stopped making world open games?

Is it simply because with newer technologies, more realistic games, the creation costs way more or did they simply do not recognize that making bigger worlds would still bring back bigger income?

Myself, I was never really fan of the games that didn't at the least give me a decent orientation orders but I simply do not like "hall games" or whatever they are called like. If you are basically unable to choose where you go next, then sorry but you cannot be reconigezede as a proper RPG.

Also, since I do not want to make multiple threads, how do you feel about MMORPGs titles numbered as the main titles? While I reallly like those two games, I think they really shouldn't be counted as main numbered FF series games.

What about you?

VeloZer0
08-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Depends on what you want to consider open world. A game like FF12 lets you move around a bunch of areas in a non-linear fashion, but I feel that without a world map or some way to impart scale the whole Dalmasca region feel small and thus makes the whole adventure feel shallow.

metagloria
08-21-2014, 05:59 PM
1) I love open world games, especially when FF does it (i.e. XII, XIV, and maybe XI - I never played it). I don't think they've given up on them, I think they just try to switch things up. X was linear; XII was open; XIII was linear; XV might be linear because it used to be Versus XIII; I assume XVI will be more open.

2) I agree that the online ones should have been called something else. I never got to play XI, so X-2 counts as "the eleventh FF" for me. I did play XIV 2.0 for three months, long enough to beat the whole main story, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but have no real interest in going back.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2014, 12:34 AM
For the first question, I've largely warmed up to real time world maps, I always felt it was a natural progression and it worked pretty well in most cases except when the game railroads you like X and XIII. I honestly don't really miss world maps all that much. I would hope that future FFs will look at Xenoblade and take notes cause that is how you do a non-MMO progressive world.

As for the MMO FFs question. While I felt FF Online just makes more sense from a marketing standpoint, I'm not terribly bothered by XI cause I felt part of the decision to make it a numbered entry was for shock value and make people understand that Square was serious about it and it wasn't just going to be some knockoff spin-off franchise cashing in on the rise of MMOs at the time. XIV on the other hand kind of confounds me, I figure the backlash XI got from some fans would make SE choose to keep MMO entries separate entities from the mainline but they went with it anyway but more importantly I was surprised they chose to basically make what initially looked like FFXI-2 by recycling the races from XI where I always felt they should seriously dig into the FF mythos and start re-using races spread across the franchise. I couldn't be the only person who would enjoy the novelty of playing as a moogle character or Red XIII's race or Freya's race. Still the game is young and changes could happen.

I did my major griping about them back when XI came out and now I'm not terribly bothered by it except when I make threads and feel bad when I leave them out because they either can't apply or I simply forget.

Ayen
08-22-2014, 12:42 AM
I don't really have a preference. I tend to get lost easily in open-world games like Skyrim, but that doesn't stop me from playing them. I couldn't tell you what made them stop going that route.

MMO FFs should not be main number entries. They should be spinoffs at best. The constant jump between them is alienating and they feel more like spinoffs anyway.

chionos
08-22-2014, 05:20 AM
FFXI probably should've been called FFOnline, but I don't care because the game was awesome no matter what it was called.

I miss the world map. I like open worlds. I hate that FFXIII is so linear. Some games work linear. They're called action/platformers. DMC works. Uh, God of War works.

Linear works for Mario, not for Final Fantasy. Set pieces suck. I thought FFXII was a fair compromise.

I'd like to eventually see Final Fantasy World which is just a huge massive world with tons of things to do, places to explore, mini-games, vehicles, secrets.

The early FFs, I mean basically everything prior to FFXIII, had secrets that you only found by exploring. I like secrets. I like the unexpected. I like being tricked. I like the suspense and eventual satisfaction of exploring. There is no exploring in a game like FFXIII. There is no adventure.