PDA

View Full Version : Have You Played Any Suikoden Games?

Pumpkin
08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
I have played all of them except the second Suikogaiden. Well, I haven't played much of the first either, but I have played it. Oh and Card Stories I haven't played

It's a good series!

Vermachtnis
08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
I've only played the PS2 ones and Tierkreis. Beaten 3, 4, and Tierkreis. Didn't get very far and Tactics and didn't own 5.

Shauna
08-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Need to get round to III and Tierkreis. Not too much care here for either the Card Stories or the second Gaiden one.

I think these games are pretty stellar and I wish I could play more.

The Man
08-21-2014, 05:38 PM
I've played I & II. I intend to get around to the others one of these days, but I have little patience for JRPGs these days, even JRPGs as good as Suikoden. I own all the numbered entries so if I ever hook up my PS2 again I'll probably start III or V.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Played all the numbered entries but haven't ventured through the side games and gaiden titles. You also missed an entry, Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki or Suikoden: Woven Web of A Century which was a PSP entry that never came stateside and is currently the last Suikoden game released by Konami.

I love this series and it's easily in my top five gaming franchises.

Ayen
08-22-2014, 12:28 AM
They're on the list. Just don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Freya
08-22-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't... think I have played any? Wait I already voted I may have played one on ps2. Was there one on ps2? It's not that I don't want to play them it's that I haven't. Everyone talks about them being awesome, I just haven't played them yet.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-22-2014, 05:03 PM
I've played 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5.

3 is my favorite, followed by 2 & 5 together.

I think 4 was pretty weak (for the series, still a decent game), and one of the reasons why they haven't kept the series going over here. 4 drove away players, sales suffered, not enough players came back to try 5, which kept sales down, and they kinda just......never committed to another big release on a big system. :( That's my theory anyway.

I've heard some of the Japan only games are really good too. :( :(

It's sad because I think Squeenix's big series is getting weaker with every iteration. Now's the time for Konami to strike and really wow people with a solid JRPG. The series is known for being a big darker series, and having a more rich in depth world to build off of. Oh well.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2014, 07:36 PM
You're right about S4 driving fans away, it didn't help that Suikoden V was released the same day as Kingdom Hearts 2 but Konami is notorious for releasing these games during periods where other high profile games were coming. I think Suikoden III dropped a few months before FFX and Suikoden II dropped like two weeks after FFVIII was first released. Only Suikoden I seems to have dodged the bullet with its only competition being Beyond the Beyond, Wild ARMS and Lufia 2.

The real problem with Suikoden now, is that the development team was disbanded and absorbed into other development teams, the DS and PSP entries are basically being developed by third party developers with no input. The franchise might have stayed strong had the original creator of the franchise chose not to quit Konami to pursue other interest.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-22-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm playing the first one right now! Getting close to beating it!I don't own any of the other ones though, and I really want to play them :(

The Man
08-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Yeah, the fact that the team that created Suikoden was disbanded does not bode well for the future of the series. It would be nice to see the team reconvened and numbered sequels resumed, especially since the faltering of the Final Fantasy series seems to have created a niche another JRPG series as good as Suikoden could fill in the popular gaming consciousness, but it doesn't seem likely to happen.

Shauna
08-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Wow, 15 lurkers have no interest in Suikoden. xD

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2014, 09:50 PM
I am actually surprised by how many votes this is getting personally.

For those curious, here's a recent interview with the series creator from a few months back discussing Suikoden among other things.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/suikoden-revival-movement/interview-with-yoshitaka-murayama/619511931478328

The Man
08-22-2014, 10:11 PM
That was an interesting interview. Thanks for posting it.

Del Murder
08-23-2014, 05:30 AM
I've only played the first one, and only because I wanted to gear up for S2. I'm going to play S2 as soon as my new PSP charger arrives. See Help Forum for more details.

Venom65437
08-23-2014, 05:48 PM
I've played and enjoyed all the numbered entries except for 2. I have never played 2 and I don't feel as if I ever will since it's impossibly expensive on eBay and just won't be put on PSN here in NA for whatever reason.

I'd buy it on eBay but with everything I've heard about it I know there is no way it will live up to my expectations to justify $150 or more on it. :cry:

The Man
08-23-2014, 05:52 PM
It was claimed a few months ago that II would be coming out on PSN, but I don't know if anything has come of it yet.

I got I & II together for $64 :smug:

NeoCracker
08-23-2014, 06:11 PM
I've played 1, 2, and Gaiden Vol. 1.

The first game hasn't aged to well, but was still fun.

Suikoden 2 does a great job living up to the hype, and is one of two games I've scene do a great job handling such a large cast. FF VI being the other, though VI doesn't really compare with the 108 man army you form. :p

Gaiden VOlume 1 was great, and one of the only Visual Novel games I've enjoyed. Sierra's bit in the beginning is full of so many feels. :cry:

VeloZer0
08-23-2014, 06:15 PM
I've beaten 1, and played a good deal of 2. In the second one I got so bogged down in having to pointlessly run all over the place to do basic party management that I just gave up on the whole thing.

Forsaken Lover
08-23-2014, 06:23 PM
And to think, everyone hates on Chrono Cross' large cast while eating up these games which have...what, over twice as many?

I've not played so much as a second of any Suikoden game. I intend to someday but who knows when that day will come. I've been here about eight years so maybe in another eight I'll just be staring them.

Venom65437
08-23-2014, 06:47 PM
It was claimed a few months ago that II would be coming out on PSN, but I don't know if anything has come of it yet.

I got I & II together for $64 :smug:

I saw that and got excited, but we haven't heard so much as a word since then. :(

Pumpkin
08-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I payed a good deal of monies for 2 but I find it was worth it if you can save up

Wolf Kanno
08-23-2014, 08:24 PM
And to think, everyone hates on Chrono Cross' large cast while eating up these games which have...what, over twice as many?

Yeah but Suikoden does a better job of making a good chunk of them feel like they belong in the story and they are written as actual people as opposed to the gimmicky characters that comprise most of CC's cast. Not that Suikoden doesn't have it's fair share of gimmicky characters but one its cast is twice as large and still finds a way to make close to half feel relevant and the games tend to also be pretty tongue in cheek about the weirder characters. Mel from Suikoden III is a wonderful example of a ridiculous gimmicky character the game treats like a ridiculous gimmicky character. Still have to love her foul-mouthed puppet Bracky. :love:

Venom65437
08-23-2014, 11:55 PM
I payed a good deal of monies for 2 but I find it was worth it if you can save up

Another time I probably would. Back when I was really into the series (PS2) I just didn't have the extra money and now I am just not into games enough to justify the price of Suikoden 2. Heck, it would probably take me forever to even get around to it. I have way too many games I need to play.

Raistlin
08-31-2014, 08:33 PM
I've beaten all of the main-numbered Suikoden games, and played Tactics. It's my favorite RPG series. Suikoden II is my favorite (and one of my favorite games overall), followed by III and V. SI is still great for nostalgia, and SIV is still fun, though the weakest entry of the series.