PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Zelda game?

Ayen
08-23-2014, 12:46 AM
I know we have plenty of Zelda fans on here and I decided I like making polls, so what is/are your favorite(s) Zelda game(s)? I'm going to be nice and allow multiple answers this time around.

My favorite games are The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. I didn't care for The Adventure of Link, and while I like Majora's Mask as a concept it didn't do anything for me. I unfortunately haven't played enough of Link's Awakening to have much of an opinion on that. I haven't played Four Swords Adventure, The Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, or A Link Between Worlds. I expect I'll be getting my hands on A Link Between Worlds rather soon, though.

Discuss.

I Took the Red Pill
08-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the Zelda series. The aesthetic of it was spot-on and the gameplay itself was stellar. Honorable mentions would have to go to Windwaker and The Minish Cap. Bottom of the list includes Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.

Jinx
08-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Bottom of the list includes Ocarina of Time It begins.

The Man
08-23-2014, 12:52 AM
I voted for the original, Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening. If forced at gunpoint to choose one I'd choose one of the former two, but which one would depend on my mood.

I Took the Red Pill
08-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Bottom of the list includes Ocarina of Time It begins.Haha. Not trying to stir up a trout storm. I played Ocarina of Time well after it came out and when I was like 20 years old so I didn't feel the same magic that I'm sure a lot of people did. Still a fun game, just inferior to most other entries in my estimation.

Jinx
08-23-2014, 12:55 AM
Bottom of the list includes Ocarina of Time It begins.Haha. Not trying to stir up a trout storm. I played Ocarina of Time well after it came out and when I was like 20 years old so I didn't feel the same magic that I'm sure a lot of people did. Still a fun game, just inferior to most other entries in my estimation.

Okay, that's actually a pretty fair stance and reasoning! :up:

Ayen
08-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the Zelda series. The aesthetic of it was spot-on and the gameplay itself was stellar.

Don't see too much Twilight Princess love, these days. When it's not being criticized for being too much like OoT, it's being criticized for not being enough like OoT. I see more people preferring The Wind Waker to it, too. It's funny, I remember everyone hating the new art style for The Wind Waker and the next time I turned around everyone was praising it.

Twilight Princess has my favorite designs of Link and Princess Zelda. Especially Princess Zelda. I still think I lean more towards Ganondorf's design in OoT, but his TP design is just as good IMO.

Slothy
08-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Can't say I liked Twilight Princess. I can only stand Nintendo rehashing the same games so many times. I'll give them credit for trying something a bit different, but they spent way too much time on the story and the unbelievably long and mind numbingly boring introductory segment of the game and then made it worse by adding those wolf segments which were just an abomination. I actually would have preferred another straight rehash of OoT. Hell, I would have preferred the god damn sailing in Wind Waker. At least that game looked pretty while I was bored.

My favourite is probably a Link to the Past. Link's Awakening is up there though and I like Majora's Mask for being the most interesting and entertaining of the 3D Zelda's.

Jinx
08-23-2014, 02:23 AM
I only played up until the point where you're a wolf trying to get through Farron Woods. I have the shitty Wii version, and the controls are just godawful. Denmark has the GameCube version, and I might play it at some point.

Depression Moon
08-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Majora's Mask was my second and it has been my favorite since I beat it. Just beat it again in some years about a week and a half ago actually.

Ayen
08-23-2014, 02:32 AM
I confess, I never made it past the introduction part of TP, nor did I get very far in TWW. I've seen the ending of both games though so I still count them as favorites since I liked what I saw.

Del Murder
08-23-2014, 05:28 AM
The original is best! A Link to the Past is also close to best.

Pumpkin
08-23-2014, 05:37 AM
Majora's Mask hands down

Wolf Kanno
08-23-2014, 05:46 AM
Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the Zelda series. The aesthetic of it was spot-on and the gameplay itself was stellar.

Don't see too much Twilight Princess love, these days. When it's not being criticized for being too much like OoT, it's being criticized for not being enough like OoT. I see more people preferring The Wind Waker to it, too. It's funny, I remember everyone hating the new art style for The Wind Waker and the next time I turned around everyone was praising it.

Twilight Princess has my favorite designs of Link and Princess Zelda. Especially Princess Zelda. I still think I lean more towards Ganondorf's design in OoT, but his TP design is just as good IMO.

NSFW NAUGHTY WORDS!!!

Barring how overly racist the above picture is, its still a fair assessment of Zelda fans. ;)

The original, Link to the Past, and Twilight Princess are my favorites, funny enough everything Vivi22 hates about TP I happen to like it. :p

Scotty_ffgamer
08-23-2014, 06:51 AM
The only Zelda games I've beaten are Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and the original. I've played part of 2, one of the Oracle Of games, Link's Awakening, Majora's mask, Twilight Princess, Four Swords... that's probably it. I only beat the original game for the first time last year!

I don't even care, Ocarina of Time was my first, and it will probably always be my favorite. Well, I played the original first, but I was a dumb kid and had no idea what to do so I don't really count that.That being said, all except for one of the ones I've played are all fantastic games. The bit I played of Four Swords was probably my least favorite so far, but i've only played a little bit of it with one other friend. Maybe I'd find it more fun with the full 4 person experience. Who knows.

I have A Link to the Past downloaded on my Wii U. Eventually I'll get around to playing it, and also beating the other Zelda's. I've made it a life goal to play through every single one minus the CD-i games and that one satellite game thing that never made it to America.

Fynn
08-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I went with A Link to the Past, Twilight Princess and A Link Between Worlds. I really enjoyed all the Zelda games that I've beaten, which is all of them besides the Oracle games, Minish Cap and the DS games, but I'll get to all those soon enough! Also, never played Four Swords Adventures and will probably never get to.

NorthernChaosGod
08-23-2014, 08:25 PM
I didn't realize it was a multichoice poll, can someone add a Majora's Mask vote for me? :(

Anyway, I voted for A Link to the Past.

Skyblade
08-23-2014, 08:48 PM
I didn't realize it was multiple choice either.

My favorite is definitely Link Between Worlds. That game did so much, so right. Sure, nostalgia gives an edge to some of the classics, but the new one is just a better game in so many areas.

Plus, best story in any Zelda game. Except possibly Hyrule Warriors (which needs to actually come out so that I can talk about the plot with people).

Bright Shield
08-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Majora's Mask without a doubt. Best use of time travel ever featured in a game.

metagloria
08-25-2014, 02:27 PM
I'll rank the ones I've played:

Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time
Zelda 2
A Link to the Past
Zelda
Spirit Tracks

I'm playing Majora's Mask right now, and eventually want to play Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

Freya
08-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Skyward Sword was great.
OoT is my favorite
Link to the past and link between worlds are great.
I really started getting into them when I got Ages and Seasons though

edczxcvbnm
08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
I voted for only one game. The Legend of Zelda. Every game after the first one has slowly been taking the adventure out of the series. You practically have to go and do things in order. I like the fact that I can go into the over world and run around and explore and then go into a dungeon and possibly miss out on the special item or whatever. You don't need The Wand, The Alpha Key, the Book, The boomerang, the Red Suit or the Red Candle. For any of the actual dungeons you don't need the raft. You only need to access the 4th dungeon.

The 2nd game became more linear but there was still the sense of adventure as you were just dropped into the game and now go explore. It was different but with a Link to the past it started to press the item in the dungeon and linearity a bit more. It did however encourage lots of running around and exploration on the world map. Lots of fun special items. Almost every game since has been chipping away at the freedom I crave. I have not played all of the games but I have become highly apathetic to the series. Wake me up when I get to explore the lands of Hyrule instead of going from dungeon A to dungeon B. Don't get me wrong, I love going through the dungeons in these games but I want there to be more than that to it all.

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
I have four swords on my ds, people need to play with me, kk thx

Del Murder
08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
ed: A Link Between Worlds gives you that freedom back. Also the new one for WiiU is supposed to be open world. We'll see.

Dat Matt
08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Hmm..

Wind Waker was my favourite instalment of the series as I played it so much as a kid. The music is great in it too. A link between worlds is actually amazing, and everyone should play it.

I'm playing though the 4 swords adventures just now. And this game is really good fun, but my god it's hard in parts. So easy to overlook some things which solve puzzles. I was stuck in the village areas for about 2 hours before having to read guides to get though.

Next is majorias mask and then I'm done all of them.

DMKA
08-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Is there any continuity between the Zelda games?

I only ask because I just attained the ability to play the post-N64 Zeldas and I plan on doing so.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 12:25 AM

I only ask because I just attained the ability to play the post-N64 Zeldas and I plan on doing so.

A few titles have direct sequels but for the most part the whole series has the games taking so far apart that little is retained from a narrative point of view.

Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to A Link to the Past
Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time
Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker

Even then all the games don't really carry over anything from each other or if they do they are good about giving you a quick prologue to update you. Like Final Fantasy the series is designs in a way to make ever new entry newbie friendly. There is a giant myth arc that incorporates the whole franchise but it has little to do with the stories and mostly serves as talking points for fans.

Dat Matt
08-31-2014, 01:22 AM

A few titles have direct sequels but for the most part the whole series has the games taking so far apart that little is retained from a narrative point of view.

Am i correcting a Wolf Canoe post? I never thought I'd see the day!

Link's Awakening isn't a direct sequel to a Link to the Past. It's in the same timeline, but the two games are not linked directly (heh). Here is the full timeline as at Skyward Sword (http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Py-PvkG1--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18j0yyebco7eqjpg.jpg). Addition to this is that a Link between Worlds is set several hundred years along the "Hero's Decline and the Last Hero" timeline.

As for Links between the games:

Oracle of Seasons / Ages are set in the same Universe and have crossovers between the games.
Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit tracks all share the same universe, but with significant time frames between each game.
Majora's Mask is set in the same world as ocarina of time following on from the events after the completion of Ocarina of Time.
Minish Cap, Four Swords and Four Swords Adventure all feature the Villian "Vaati".
Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but The adventure of Link (Zelda II) is a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda (Zelda I)
A Link Between Worlds is located in the same Hyrule as a Link to the Past, just several hundred years in the future.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 01:34 AM

Am i correcting a Wolf Canoe post? I never thought I'd see the day!

Link's Awakening isn't a direct sequel to a Link to the Past. It's in the same timeline, but the two games are not linked directly (heh). Here is the full timeline as at Skyward Sword (http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Py-PvkG1--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18j0yyebco7eqjpg.jpg). Addition to this is that a Link between Worlds is set several hundred years along the "Hero's Decline and the Last Hero" timeline.

As for Links between the games:

Oracle of Seasons / Ages are set in the same Universe and have crossovers between the games.
Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit tracks all share the same universe, but with significant time frames between each game.
Majora's Mask is set in the same world as ocarina of time following on from the events after the completion of Ocarina of Time.
Minish Cap, Four Swords and Four Swords Adventure all feature the Villian "Vaati".
Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but The adventure of Link (Zelda II) is a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda (Zelda I)
A Link Between Worlds is located in the same Hyrule as a Link to the Past, just several hundred years in the future.

I'm going off old info and I was doing my best to not bring up the timeline deal since its a hot topic issue among fans. Yes, Zelda II is a direct sequel, don't know how that slipped my mind but its not like I'm a hardcore Zelda fan, to be fair you wouldn't know they were directly linked unless you read the easily missable intro. Both game's feature a different Zelda for instance.

chionos
08-31-2014, 02:46 AM
ALttP is my favorite.
Basically, the best game of any series is the SNES entry, if it has one.
Final Fantasy VI
TLoZ:ALttP
SF2:Turbo
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Turtles in Time
Chrono Trigger
Mortal Kombat 2

Castlevania: SotN might be the sole exception.

OoT was great, and of course the original is eternal. It is the classic.

And I personally loved Twilight Princess. It was the first real game I ever played with my kids, and my daughter loved it, so I might be a bit biased or something.

I agree with ed's assessment of the series' move toward linearity and his dislike of it. I can still enjoy the games, but I'd enjoy them even more with a return to the openness of the originals. Gear/tools/weapons being optional means not getting them the first time, or being able to skip things, do sections out of order, etc, so each play-through is different, and the player can be his/her own arbiter of difficulty. It hasn't quite gotten to the point where I can't enjoy the games, though. There hasn't been the Zelda equivalent of a FFXIII, in other words.

Crop
08-31-2014, 03:30 AM
A Link to the Past is the correct answer to this question.

The Man
08-31-2014, 03:35 AM
Chionos is mostly correct about the SNES entries being the best, although he has the wrong SNES entry listed as the best for the Mario series. The correct answer is Yoshi's Island.

Brennan
08-31-2014, 04:08 AM
Although many people didn't like it, Majora's Mask was the best experience for me. There's something about the ominous danger of the moon, combined with the many dark and depressing side quests makes it a black sheep of the Zelda series. I love it for that very reason.

Second is Link to the Past. Obvious reasoning is obvious.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 04:18 AM
I am honestly amazed at all the love A Link to the Past is getting in this thread. :cheers:

Skyblade
08-31-2014, 06:15 AM
I am honestly amazed at all the love A Link to the Past is getting in this thread. :cheers:

Translation key for you:

Link to the Past is Final Fantasy VI.
Ocarina of Time is Final Fantasy VII.
Link Between Worlds is Bravely Default.
Adventure of Link is Final Fantasy II.
Link's Awakening is Final Fantasy IV.
Wind Waker is Final Fantasy X.

Wow, these actually match up pretty well. You could make this sort of comparison with almost every game in the series.

NeoCracker
08-31-2014, 06:30 AM
Majora's mask will always have my heart.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 06:34 AM

Translation key for you:

Wow, these actually match up pretty well. You could make this sort of comparison with almost every game in the series.

I think Wind Waker is more like FFIX to be honest.

Skyblade
08-31-2014, 06:36 AM

Translation key for you:

I think Wind Waker is more like FFIX to be honest.

Yeah, you're right, that works much better. Very similar fan reactions there.

Majora's Mask is the one I can't really place. It would have to be a spinoff, due to the massive tone differences, but a beloved one. The only one I can think of is Crystal Chronicles, but I'm not sure the fan reactions are comparable.

The Man
08-31-2014, 06:50 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics? They even came out at around the same time.

NeoCracker
08-31-2014, 06:55 AM
They do both take a very unique turn on the series in one way or another.

Tactics taking a step away FF with a heavily political story, something you simply did not see in the series.

Majora's Mask dropped the more fantastical style world in a world themed off the various stages of death, another kind of thing really not done in Zelda.

Yeah, I'll go with Tactics here, why not. :p

Dat Matt
08-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Egoraptor did a sequalits on A Link to the Past vs Ocarina of Time. Playing both games now, Ocarina of time is not as good as A Link to the Past. I am more of a fan of the Top down zelda games though, so I may be a tad baised. There is no shortage of people saying that a Link to the Past is their favourite.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2014, 07:28 AM
That's a fun video and I agree with most of it. I'm only surprised because OoT is often herald as the "Greatest Game ever Made" so to see what I felt was the better game win in the poll is nice for a change.

Ayen
09-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Honestly, I think the OoT love has slowly decreased over the years. I see more and more people citing Majora's Mask as their favorite over it.

Bubba
09-01-2014, 02:20 PM
I only voted for one as I didn't realise it was a multi-vote. A Link to the Past is still my favourite despite a couple of others running it close. A Link Between Worlds takes second spot as it was just executed perfectly. I think it's purely nostalgia that keeps ALTTP at the top.

My third choice was difficult as I occasionally flit between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. I'm gonna go with the latter though as I prefer the more mature style of the game over OoT.

escobert
09-03-2014, 05:54 PM
There can be only one!!

A Link to the Past

And FFVI sucks VII is best.

If I were to choose a number 2 and 3 it would be The Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of Time since those are the ones I've played the most of. I really need to play more windwaker.

edczxcvbnm
09-03-2014, 07:52 PM
ed: A Link Between Worlds gives you that freedom back. Also the new one for WiiU is supposed to be open world. We'll see.

I had heard that about A Link Between Worlds and I do plan to pick that one up, however the rumors of the Wii U version is a "I will believe it when I see it" sort of thing. If it is all that and a bag of potato chips then I will have to purchase a new Shiny Wii U.

Dat Matt
09-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't believe that the new Zelda will be Skyrim levels of open world, but Maybe expanding more on the Ocarina of time sort of layout without barriers between areas. Like you can walk to death mountain from Kokari Forest no loading for going thoough the forest to the hyrule field to Kakahiro villiage or going up the death mountian trail for example.

edczxcvbnm
09-03-2014, 09:09 PM
It doesn't need to be 300 miles of nothing with the occasional abandon test with 2 forks and a diseased half eaten muffin. It can be a bigger seamless world where you can see the mountains and go to the mountains unrestrained by the shackles of a big wiimote finger waggling in my face. LET ME BE FREE TO DIE and blow all of my monies on stupid crap. I need to stock pile mah potionz!11!~

Yamaneko
09-05-2014, 02:54 AM
I was going to vote Zelda 1, but tbh the Wand of Gamelon edges it out.

Dat Matt
09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Mai Boh

Dat Matt
09-09-2014, 10:01 PM
That's me finished the Four Swords Adventures. One more and I'll have played all of the mainline zelda games :3

Skyblade
09-10-2014, 03:56 AM
That's me finished the Four Swords Adventures. One more and I'll have played all of the mainline zelda games :3

Which one do you have left?

Shlup
09-11-2014, 08:27 AM
LoZ is my favorite game series, but I really just fucking loved Skyward Sword so much.

Wolf Kanno
09-11-2014, 08:31 AM
LoZ is my favorite game series, but I really just smurfing loved Skyward Sword so much.

I think you are the first Zelda fan I've met who has said that. :D

Shlup
09-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Well, to be fair, I hate Fi more than I hate pretty much any character in the history of ever, including Navi. And the "YOU FOUND AN AMBER RELIC" is horrid. But other than that I think it's a stellar game; really gives the whole timeline a sense of history.

Dat Matt
09-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Which one do you have left?

Majora's Mask is the only one left. I'm deciding if I don't hear news of an HD remake for the 3DS by December, I'll start playing my Gamecube version.

I also quite like Skyward sword. I like it more than Ocarina of time at least. Some bad decisions like with the collectables and Motion controls, but I don't mind Fi, the characters were actually padded out and it looked stunning.