PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror Games?

Ayen
08-23-2014, 06:39 PM
I would have waited until at least October for this, but I'm an impatient person.

What are your all time favorite horror games? Other option included because there's no way I'm going to be able to list all of them. If you vote for a game that had more than one entry, just specify with entry you mean when you vote for it.

My favorites are Amnesia, F.E.A.R., Resident Evil Remake, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, and I expect Silent Hill will be added to this list whenever I get around to actually playing it. I liked The Last of Us, but the atmosphere just didn't feel horror-centric to me.

Discuss.

Wolf Kanno
08-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Silent Hill and Fatal Frame are probably my favorite, many of the others on the list are a bit more on the action/survival side to be actually scary for my taste.

Colonel Angus
08-23-2014, 10:08 PM
This is definitely a list created by a younger person. No mention of Parasite Eve, nor the Castlevania games.

The game that scares me the most is Just Dance for Kids on the Wii.

Wolf Kanno
08-23-2014, 10:28 PM
This is definitely a list created by a younger person. No mention of Parasite Eve, nor the Castlevania games.

Castlevania is not scary, frustratingly fun as hell but hardly scary or even creepy. It's hard to be frightened when you got the awesome first level theme bringing you into the castle. :p

Colonel Angus
08-23-2014, 10:32 PM

Castlevania is not scary, frustratingly fun as hell but hardly scary or even creepy. It's hard to be frightened when you got the awesome first level theme bringing you into the castle. :p
It's not shit your pants horror, but it's horror like in the same sense of The Bride of Frankenstein or any of those schlocky 50s horror films. Not scary, but they use the same motifs of actual horror.

Ayen
08-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Don't look at me. I consulted Wikipedia for a list of horror games to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything and neither Castlevania or Parasite Eve were on there.

And I'm 24, thank you very much :colbert:

Wolf Kanno
08-23-2014, 10:39 PM

It's not trout your pants horror, but it's horror like in the same sense of The Bride of Frankenstein or any of those schlocky 50s horror films. Not scary, but they use the same motifs of actual horror.

Having creatures from actual horror stories featured for me is not the same as being an actual horror story. For me it has to do with intention, is the purpose of the game to scare you? Then it's horror, unless its scary for being awful of which its just a bad game and a traumatizing experience.

Fynn
08-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Silent Hill, definitely. It's the only series I've actually played, but I've seen LPs of others and I must say, it's the only series that has the type of horror that suits my tastes, especially Silent Hill 2. In the end, it's not the jump scares, gore or action I'm here for. I want to feel that crippling sense of isolation, uncertainty if what I saw was real or me just being paranoid, plus, just a great, deep, moving, substantial personal story behind it all. Silent Hill is about love :3:

AssassinDX
08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Resident Evil as a series, the first Dead Space scared the absolute poop out of me at first but then jumping alien creatures coming out of nowhere got repetitive. Resident Evil (1-3 anyways) was consistently pant-s**tingly good.

Lonely Paper Star
08-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Resident Evil 2 was my first horror game, so it remains a favorite of mine. But I voted 'Other,' because none of the Fatal Frame series was an option. Fatal Frame 2 was the only one of that series I played, and I hope to make time to play the other ones. :lol:

Vyk
08-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Dead Space was the most recent one that did it for me. Even after the jump scares stopped being game mechanics (it's a gameplay mechanic after-all. I didn't expect it to attempt to emulate real life) they didn't bother me, and I still adored the sound and atmosphere. So much that I had to play the game in the dark with surround sound on to get the full effect. I loved it

Eternal Darkness was a really good one, but was more of a mental wtf rather than a scary wtf. Loved the Lovecraftian style to it though

Only Silent Hill I ever played was 3, and it was not that good. Kinda creepy. But not really scary

And Resident Evil has never done anything for me in the fear factor. Which is why people appreciate it's tank controls, to make you feel more trapped and stuff. But it's why I loathed tank controls. And once those were gone, it turned into a normal game in a dark setting. Then they turned into action games in dark settings

F.E.A.R didn't do it for me, and I have yet to play Amnesia, but I think I've watched enough to know I'd get bored of it pretty easily. Just a lot of wandering around dark hallways

I'm always on the prowl for a good horror game though. At least it's more likely to find a decent horror game than it is to find a decent horror movie..

Fynn
08-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Only Silent Hill I ever played was 3, and it was not that good. Kinda creepy. But not really scary.

Kinda pointless to play 3 without having played 1, considering how much this game's story draws from the first game. Also, SH1 is probably the most conventionally scary of the onces I've played, though 2 gets the biggest props for having the best story and being the most unsettlingly oppressive in its atmosphere.

Bright Shield
08-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Silent Hill 2 and the Resident Evil Remake are hands down the best survival horror games ever made.

Vyk
08-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Only Silent Hill I ever played was 3, and it was not that good. Kinda creepy. But not really scary.

Kinda pointless to play 3 without having played 1, considering how much this game's story draws from the first game. Also, SH1 is probably the most conventionally scary of the onces I've played, though 2 gets the biggest props for having the best story and being the most unsettlingly oppressive in its atmosphere.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way when I got far enough in the story. Sadly it was even suggested to me by a Silent Hill fan because it was their favorite Silent Hill. Go figure

deepdoop
08-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Nice call on Parasite Eve. It's my favourite RPG of all-time. It scared me and gave me some memorable moments but I'm not so sure it's the scariest game ever or anything. Definitely had its moments and creeped me the hell out.

I voted F.E.A.R. because as much as I love games like Silent Hill, F.E.A.R. was the only game to explicitly give me nightmares. I know the gimmicks it uses doesn't work on some people, but it did for me. The mixture of supernatural and the fear of being alone against soldiers and otherworldly beings was done really well.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-25-2014, 05:52 PM
I only just recently got to play Parasite Eve (thanks sharky!) I didn't really find it all that scary, but it is a great game! That being said, I've yet to find a game or movie that has actually scared me, so eh.

The Silent Hill series is my favorite so far I'd say, with 3 being my favorite. Someday I need to get around to beating SH3 though. Was playing my roommate's copy in college and got all the way to the end, but then student teaching happened and we moved out before I could finish it.

I own the first two Fatal Frame games and will get around to playing them eventually. They look way fun.

On a semi-related note, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne almost had a horror atmosphere to me at the very beginning of the game when I first started playing it.The game isn't scary at all from the little I've played, but it kind of made me think that it would be kind of cool to see the SMT people do a full on horror game.

Shorty
08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
I was going to mention Fatal Frame. Silent Hill is the scariest on the list to me; Bioshock doesn't really strike me as a horror-type game. It has elements of fear and survival, but eh, I wouldn't classify it as a horror game necessarily.

deepdoop
08-25-2014, 07:44 PM
On a semi-related note, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne almost had a horror atmosphere to me at the very beginning of the game when I first started playing it.The game isn't scary at all from the little I've played, but it kind of made me think that it would be kind of cool to see the SMT people do a full on horror game.

You know, I just played my first SMT game last year with the 4th one, and I can see what you're saying because I felt the same thing in that one as you did Nocturne. There's definitely something really menacing about the atmosphere and music, and while it didn't outright scare me or creep me out, there were times I felt a little uneasy. I mean, everything is dark, you go into caves and it deals with the supernatural after all. Maybe I'm just a pansy, but there it is.

Wolf Kanno
08-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah it would be interesting to see the MegaTen guys try to do a horror game, closest I can think of is Catherine which isn't so much horror as mystery meets frantic terror. Those boss stages...

Ayen
08-26-2014, 02:49 AM
I voted F.E.A.R. because as much as I love games like Silent Hill, F.E.A.R. was the only game to explicitly give me nightmares. I know the gimmicks it uses doesn't work on some people, but it did for me. The mixture of supernatural and the fear of being alone against soldiers and otherworldly beings was done really well.

You now have twenty more brownie points for knowing what F.E.A.R. is, and a thirty brownie point bonus for enjoying it.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah it would be interesting to see the MegaTen guys try to do a horror game, closest I can think of is Catherine which isn't so much horror as mystery meets frantic terror. Those boss stages...

Catherine was the closest I could think of too, but yeah. I'm still pretty new to MegaTen's stuff so I wasn't sure they hadn't already done a horror thing, but there are just little things sprinkled throughout the games I have played that make me think they could do a really interesting one.

Wolf Kanno
08-26-2014, 07:27 AM

Catherine was the closest I could think of too, but yeah. I'm still pretty new to MegaTen's stuff so I wasn't sure they hadn't already done a horror thing, but there are just little things sprinkled throughout the games I have played that make me think they could do a really interesting one.

Yeah the series does a good job of making them feel very eerie, the musical scores certainly help as the hospital in SMTIII or the Reverse Hills buildings in SMTIV have some downright creepy tracks to make those locations very unsettling.

Sephex
08-26-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm a huge fan of early Silent Hill 1-3 and Resident Evil 1-4 (as well as Zero and Code Veronica). I also really loved the original Amnesia (haven't played the sequel, though I heard it is kind of meh). I haven't played Dead Space, but I have seen friends play plenty of all of them, and I really thought the original was the only well done one. I plan on playing it one day.

Lately I've been into an indie game called Five Nights at Freddy's. Like, literally made by one guy. It has been released very recently and is making plenty of waves in the gaming community. You basically are a security guard that works the graveyard shift in a Chuck E. Cheese-like place. Basically, you are in one room trying to keep track of multiple animatronics through security cams and the two doorways that lead straight to you. You have limited power that you must make last each night. Closing the doors and checking the cameras use this power, so you must carefully monitor your resources while making sure the animatronics don't pop into your room and kill you. It's a game that's better seen than explained.

For the past week I've had a thread of me playing it and posting my recordings of it in the Let's Play forum. Yeah, yeah, shameless self promotion, but take a gander if you like horror games. While it does have jump scares (which I know some people think are stupid but seriously give it a chance), the dread and tension from the task itself is what really makes this game so interesting and very fun to play. Anyway, link to my thread below.

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/158914-Sephex-plays-Five-Nights-at-Freddy-s

If my recording is too low quality for you (I used free stuff to record it though I think it's fine) just search the for the game in YouTube and you'll find plenty of people playing it.

deepdoop
08-26-2014, 03:18 PM

You now have twenty more brownie points for knowing what F.E.A.R. is, and a thirty brownie point bonus for enjoying it.

Thank you, thank you, I'll take points where I can get them! It's funny though because when I first saw the thread I came in and expected to be the only one to say F.E.A.R. because in my experience talking to people, either they haven't played it or they didn't think it was that scary. I was surprised someone else voted for it and then I saw who made the thread and saw your avatar and thought "I can get along with this person."

I will put a bit of a damper on the F.E.A.R. love though by saying that as much as I love the first the rest aren't really up to par for me. The second was pretty decent, kind of a lesser version but still mildly scary, and F.3.A.R. wasn't even scary... it's like they decided to just eliminate the fear and focus on making a FPS. Still a solid game but nothing like the first at all.

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:16 PM
I HATE THEM. I HATE THEM SO MUCH. I threw my control and ran away screaming at dead space, seriously. Rum may have also been involved so the freakout was a little worse than normal... I got 20 mins into Amnesia. Screw these games. These games are horrible and should not be made. THEY SHOULD NOT EXIST.*throws controller*

Vyk
08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
...you're the type of person people like me want to lock in a room and force you to play these games lol. Or at least be there when we play since they don't scare us much but we want to be scared. We enjoy being scared. We can be scared vicariously through people like you. Play them on YouTube. You'll be the next pewdiepie

blackmage_nuke
08-26-2014, 07:37 PM
5 Days a Stranger/7 Days a Skeptic/Trilby's Notes/6 Days a sacrifice. I wouldnt have expected a series with early pc sprites to terrify me so but it did. (Not so much 5DAS but the series as a whole is wonderfully disturbing)

I found Fatal Frame/Project Zero to be a good horror but I got tired of the game play after the Second Night.

I really enjoyed Bioshock and while I found certain sections quite disturbing I never thought of it as a horror and wasnt really scared at any point (maybe if I had played it when I was younger)

Even more so with Last of Us I dont remember any sections where I was afraid or disturbed.

Honourable mention to Vampire: The Masquerade for that one ridiculously terrifying Hotel Mission. It's not even a horror game and thats one scariest gaming moments I can think of. It's also just a great game in general.

Vyk
08-26-2014, 08:52 PM
I wouldnt have expected a series with early pc sprites to terrify me so but it did

Oh my god. Corpse Party!

Ayen
08-27-2014, 04:54 AM

Thank you, thank you, I'll take points where I can get them! It's funny though because when I first saw the thread I came in and expected to be the only one to say F.E.A.R. because in my experience talking to people, either they haven't played it or they didn't think it was that scary. I was surprised someone else voted for it and then I saw who made the thread and saw your avatar and thought "I can get along with this person."

I will put a bit of a damper on the F.E.A.R. love though by saying that as much as I love the first the rest aren't really up to par for me. The second was pretty decent, kind of a lesser version but still mildly scary, and F.3.A.R. wasn't even scary... it's like they decided to just eliminate the fear and focus on making a FPS. Still a solid game but nothing like the first at all.

I agree, actually. As do most F.E.A.R. fans I know. I enjoyed the second game a lot and flooded the hell out of Twitter when I played it last year. And while I appreciate the way they handed the hallucinations, it just doesn't hold a candle to the more subtle approach of the first game. I haven't played the third one yet, but that's next on my list to review. I expect a lot of fan raging. Have you heard about the "F.E.A.R. Online" project? I had a Beta key for the thing, but they gave them out while they were still in alpha stages and by the time they made it to Beta I forgot all about it.

Mo-Nercy
08-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Fatal Frame/Project Zero is my undisputed favourite of the genre. I love the gameplay mechanic of the Camera Obscura and the way the scares seem to get progressively turned up to the point where it becomes scary to even backtrack to an area you know. The third game did this really well.

F.E.A.R. is awesome. It was even more horrifying for me because I'm awful at FPS.

Shiny
08-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Silent Hill 2 is my favorite, but I can also enjoy anything with space and horror. Space terrifies me. The vastness, the mystery, the darkness, the asteroids, the Sandra Bullock. It's scary. I believe the games I've played that involve this are Enemy Zero, 7 Days a Skeptic, and Doom. Quake kind of scared me too even though it wasn't really meant to be scary. I haven't played Dead Space. It's a giant batch of nope.

Fun fact: I never got to finish playing SH1 when it came out because my brother hid it after he crapped his pants. I still have no idea where that game is, but I did manage to find Sega Saturn version of Resident Evil.

Anyway check this out: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/13-horror-games-not-to-turn-your-back-on-in-2014

Ayen
08-27-2014, 08:48 PM
So far every Silent Hill related story I heard has convinced me I picked the perfect game to play for Halloween.

Anyway check this out: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/13-horror-games-not-to-turn-your-back-on-in-2014

I'm really looking forward to Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within.