PDA

View Full Version : How many people have played the original?

Wolf Kanno
08-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Outside of playing the intro to test a recording program on my computer, I have yet to play the original Famicom version but I do hope to eventually play it since I found I really enjoyed playing the original versions of FFI and III over their shiny remakes. So has anyone else played through the original Famicom/NES version?

Ayen
08-25-2014, 04:56 AM
I only played the Origins version.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-11-2014, 10:17 PM
I've only played it on PS1 but I'd like to try the Famicom version. You can find it loose on eBay for pretty cheap. It's one of the games i'll buy if I ever get around to buying a Famicom.

Spooniest
11-15-2014, 08:00 AM
I have played the NES version done by Neo Demiforce, on an emulator.

There's not a whole lot of difference compared to the remake, other than the obvious cosmetic upgrades, though they did somewhat streamline the stat-boosting system in the remakes. It's rather oblique and hard to pick up on, though. In addition, the auto-retargetting algorithm is always a welcome change, for me anyway. I really have never enjoyed seeing that "Ineffective" message. :/

Demiforce's version may have been overtly simplistic, but it's the only way to play the NES version in English that I know of. I did enjoy it, but it's also inherently frustrating, due to the side characters being, for the most part, a liability in battle. Minwu isn't bad, but he's quickly replaced by, shall I say, less useful characters.

Especially Gordon. I don't care what anyone says about Edward from Final Fantasy IV, Gordon is The Load (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLoad) personified.

Rez09
11-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I did attempt to play through the translated NES ROM, but it was on an emulator on my DS and had mad flicker that forced me to stop. I haven't made another attempt to complete the original since then.