PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Leaks (Spoilers abound!?)

Agent Proto
08-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Last week, apparently the full roster of the upcoming Smash game has been revealed. Someone claiming to be an ESRB rep have posted the following image.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7Lm3DmMd--/oxycmtw2oe9ejp1jaeiy.png

You can see the full roster, and as you can see, there are several unannounced characters, both newcomers and returning veterans alike. And now just today, the same leaker have now posted a ton of pictures and videos, so now this leak seems pretty believable to me. Anyway, what do you think about all of this? Do you believe the leak is real or not? And are you happy with this roster? I'm actually pretty satisfied with it

Full roster from the leak.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Rosalina
Bowser Jr.
Wario
Mr. Game & Watch
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Palutena
Marth
Ike
Robin
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Little Mac
Fox
Falco
Pikachu
Charizard
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Greninja
Duck Hunt Dog
R.O.B.
Ness
Captain Falcon
Villager
Olimar
Wii Fit Trainer
Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Lucina
Shulk
Pac-Man
Mega Man
Sonic
(Mii Fighters)

More leaks (http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw)

Wolf Kanno
08-25-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm kind of hoping Shulk is true, you release one of the most highly acclaimed JRPGs last generation and you're not going to feature any characters from it?

I Took the Red Pill
08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
People can still have reservations about the images, but the video leaks would be nigh impossible to fake. So we can very safely assume that Shulk, Ganon, and Bowser Jr are in the game. It's disappointing that Ganon looks to be another trout clone of Captain Falcon. I was hoping for a new moveset and one which involved his badass sword.

And I think it's hilarious that Duck Hunt Dog is ostensibly a playable character.

Ultima Shadow
08-25-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm glad it has finally been confirmed that Ganon made it. And to be honest, I'm also glad he's keeping his old moveset since that's the one I'm the most used to. Though their moves look similar, they play and function completely differently (in the smash games featuring them so far at least). I'm a bit worried he will be too much like the Brawl Ganon though, which was so stupidly slow he just couldn't be played.

I have mixed feelings about Baby Bowser. While he could be a pretty cool character, and I understand that Mario's the nintendo star and all that, I still feel like they are craming a bit too many Mario characters in there. I mean... there's like 9 of them now? Almost 1/5 of the rooster. I'd rather see another Donkey Kong character make it or something. I'd pick Dixie or K.Rool over Baby Bowser anyday.

Agent Proto
08-25-2014, 09:29 PM
The videos that the leaker put up on Youtube has been taken down courtesy of Nintendo America. I'm afraid that this only further proves the legitimacy of the leaks being absolutely true.

Skyblade
08-26-2014, 01:00 AM
The videos that the leaker put up on Youtube has been taken down courtesy of Nintendo America. I'm afraid that this only further proves the legitimacy of the leaks being absolutely true.

Actually, Nintendo has taken down false leaks in the past, so it doesn't really do a lot.

I certainly find the whole thing questionable, including the video once I found it.

Why release the still pics first, then the video, if they came from the same source (and, indeed, the same video)? Why would the source risk leaking things multiple times when it just increases his chances of being caught? Why would the ESRB footage include an incomplete roster, as has been declared since day one of the leak, when the ESRB is required to see the full roster for rating purposes?

Why are the newcomers we've seen so far in the gameplay videos clones of other characters? Shulk basically copies outright most of his moves from Marth and Link. The Smashboards forum members have pointed out that Bowser Jr. is essentially a Diddy Kong clone.

Why would Nintendo save several clones for the final reveals? If the roster is true we're going to see Shulk, Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. That's a great way to hype people, make your final reveal all clones. Why would they not sprinkle these reveals throughout the lead up to the game, alongside other, newer characters, the way they did with Lucina?

There are a lot of questions raised by this stuff, not the least of which is "what the hell happened, Nintendo?" if this is actually true. There's a massive drop in quality on everything these leaks have shown, from the character models and details, to the new movesets, to even the aesthetics of the character select screen itself, when compared to the E3 demo and the reveals thus far.

Agent Proto
08-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Why are the newcomers we've seen so far in the gameplay videos clones of other characters? Shulk basically copies outright most of his moves from Marth and Link. The Smashboards forum members have pointed out that Bowser Jr. is essentially a Diddy Kong clone.

I think it was to get many people to question the authenticity of these leaks, and quite frankly, I do think it is working. There are many people, like yourself, that are doubting these leaks. I don't blame you, because I thought they were fake at first. With the videos that were released, one cannot deny the fact that the plausibility of them becomes more real. As for Shulk, I don't think he's an outright clone like a couple of the newcomers. (namely Dr. Mario and Dark Pit) Sure he's a swordfighter like both Link and Marth, so we're bound to see some similarities. As for Bowser Jr. being a Diddy Kong clone? They might be grasping at straws here. I don't know really, but I don't really see it that way.

Ayen
08-26-2014, 02:12 AM
Believable enough, but I'd rather wait for an official source. Some of these would probably be better off as alternative costumes instead of their own character. Namely the Zelda, Mario, and Samus ones.

Agent Proto
08-26-2014, 02:29 AM
I completely agree that some of these would make better alt costumes for already confirmed characters. But that's been blown out of the picture when Lucina was revealed. Sakurai explained that there's just enough differences to allow Lucina her own spot. I'm sure this also applies for Dr. Mario and Dark Pit.

I should also wait for official confirmation from Sakurai on the characters, but everything so far from these leaks seem pretty believable that it's hard to call them 100% fake at this point.

Skyblade
08-26-2014, 03:00 AM
I might as well post my thoughts here on why I really, really hope the leak is wrong.

I'd be so disappointed. I'll feel that way if Duck Hunt Dog gets in at all. What a waste of a slot.

But, more importantly, I'm just galled at how bad the final product actually looks. Look at the video again. Look at the Shulk render in the victory pose. It looks horrible. I mean, I admit I was never pulling for the character, but I'd at least like him to be done well if he makes it in.

The CSS looks so boring. The character selection doesn't make sense. Grouping the clones together just reeks of sloppy design. The stage select looks even worse.

What was the point of not actually disconfirming Ridley a year ago the way they did everyone else? What was the point of the trophy tease? Why the bloody HELL would they exclude Mewtwo?

I'd also be disappointed in Nintendo of America. I mean, one job. That's all they had to do. And they frelled it up. The next three weeks until release would be completely ruined. The hype is dead, it peaked here. There is nothing to look forward to, all because some stupid random employee decided to leak everything. Sue him for every penny he has.

Also, no Isaac.

Noire
08-26-2014, 07:22 AM
The choices for fighters this time around have been pretty bloody awful...I mean, Greninja? Seriously? There have been some pretty solid additions (Palutena looks like she'll be fun to play as, and I did enjoy playing as Charizard in Brawl too, so it could be worse there) but it'd be nice to see more originality and not just clones. Greninja is Lucario, who was Mewtwo. All these sword fighters play more or less the same, too.

...that said, if Shulk is actually in it, there is a very high probability I will buy these games. All I wanted was Shulk; I will overlook everything else just for a chance to play as him. If one of his colour-swaps is a certain Mithos Yggdrasill lookalike, I'll be even happier. Also, this renews my hopes for a Reyn assist trophy. I just want him to shout "Now it's Reyn Time!" as he ploughs his way through the stage. xD

Skyblade
08-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Shulk looks really disappointing, and Bowser Jr. just looks wrong, but I am becoming more convinced by various things.

I'm hoping this is older footage, though, because I still think the graphics look awful.

Currently, I'm banking my hype in the yet to be revealed characters. We still have Ridley, Mewtwo, Impa, and a couple others yet to come.

Agent Proto
08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
I'd also be disappointed in Nintendo of America. I mean, one job. That's all they had to do. And they frelled it up. The next three weeks until release would be completely ruined. The hype is dead, it peaked here. There is nothing to look forward to, all because some stupid random employee decided to leak everything. Sue him for every penny he has.

I don't think it killed the hype. There's still the game for Wii U yet to be released. A good portion of what's in the 3DS may be shown, but there's still plenty to learn about what's in the Wii U version of the game. Like, would stage builder return? And if so, would it be improved over Brawl's take? Stuff like that still needs to be known. Please understand that this leak is only for the 3DS game (plus game's roster). The roster may not be complete, as you have pointed out, so I don't think the hype is completely killed off.

Also, no Isaac.

I agree. Isaac would be a great inclusion to Smash. Shame that he doesn't share the upgrade from AT with Little Mac.

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Ooo ganon

Skyblade
08-27-2014, 07:36 AM

I don't think it killed the hype. There's still the game for Wii U yet to be released. A good portion of what's in the 3DS may be shown, but there's still plenty to learn about what's in the Wii U version of the game. Like, would stage builder return? And if so, would it be improved over Brawl's take? Stuff like that still needs to be known. Please understand that this leak is only for the 3DS game (plus game's roster). The roster may not be complete, as you have pointed out, so I don't think the hype is completely killed off.

It may not be completely dead, but if you take it as true, it does mean that things are kind of downhill from here. There's no more big hype moments to look forward to. I mean, we're already going to learn almost everything about the game three weeks early due to the Japanese release. To have so much of that spoiled three weeks even earlier just sucks. Maybe whatever idiot it was felt they were making people happy. But they really didn't. They dealt a massive blow to the game's marketing, they tore the fanbase apart (seriously, avoid Smashboard character discussion threads), and they just ruined what should have been the biggest hype period of all.

Instead of going "Ooh, who's next?", we're all going "Great, this is going to be the Bowser Jr. trailer." It takes some of the magic away. I hate it for that. We were only a few weeks, why the hell would you ruin that?

Fortunately, there's just enough doubt for me to hold on to hope that it is fake.

Also, no Isaac.

I agree. Isaac would be a great inclusion to Smash. Shame that he doesn't share the upgrade from AT with Little Mac.

Seriously. He has the best move potential ever. I've already created a dozen different, unique, and fitting movesets for him. So much awesome potential. Plus, GBA representation.

Agent Proto
08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Shulk was also officially announced as a newcomer this morning in the latest Japan only Nintendo Direct.
GUl1EkUJ46k

If you are having thoughts that he is a a clone of Marth/Link, I hope this trailer ends that. :D

Wolf Kanno
08-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Xenoblade getting a character made me really happy. I don't even play Smash Bros. and I loved that video. :love:

Noire
08-30-2014, 12:39 PM
...holycrap. That looks far more impressive than the leaked videos made it out to be. Shulk looks to have a little more strategy to him than the mindless slashing of certain other swordsmen as well, which is fantastic. Although I was hoping for a Zanza alternate costume rather than his bathing suit...I suppose it could still be included, though. As long as his Final Smash can include other members of the party - and they have more lines, too - I'm alright with that.

So...potential Metal Face boss fight, and Gaur Plains daytime metal battle remix? HELL YES. I hope, if there is a Metal Face boss battle, One Who Gets In Our Way gets a similarly awesome remix. That boss theme never got old and it was used for the entire game. I suppose The God Slaying Sword is too much to hope for, so I'll pray for the more likely inclusion.

But..."Now it's Shulk time!"? SERIOUSLY? Oh, Shulk...I don't think there are words, really.

Dat Matt
08-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Jigglypuff and Game and Watch are there, so I'm happy.

Shulk is good too. I'll not be getting the 3DS version, but I'm still excited for the Wii U version,