PDA

View Full Version : Napa Valley Earthquake or other disasters

Nate
08-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Any EoFFers in here that made it through the most recent earthquake? Is everyone okay?

Alternatively, has anyone been through a major disaster? Typhoon, hurricane, tornado, volcano, tidal wave, earthquake, meteorite, etc? I'd like to hear some stories.

Agent Proto
08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Three years ago there was an 5.0 earthquake that struck central Virginia. It didn't really do much damage where I live, but I felt it shaking for a bit. I heard it did some minor damage to the Washington Monument up in DC though. :D

The Man
08-25-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm a survivor of Hurricane Andrew. We weren't in one of the worst-hit regions so that part was nice.

And the Washington Monument was still being repaired when I went to D.C. last year. I presume it probably still is.

Freya
08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Oklahoma has been getting earthquakes lately but not very bad. You can feel them though.

Almost every year since I was 18 I am near a tornado. Not this year though, strangely. I did watch twister this year again though.... Tornadoes are super cool and scary.

Lonely Paper Star
08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I lived in California when I was little, so I've been through earthquakes and such. I don't remember how high they were on the richter scale, though. But they were well-felt. Lol.

I was fortunately not around for Hurricane Ike (or Rita, even) in the Houston area, because I was in Austin for school. XD My family evacuated there for both. I just remember the horrendous traffic situation for Rita.

Ayen
08-26-2014, 02:25 AM
I'm sure everyone is expecting me to talk about that big tornado I saw that one time, but no. I have never seen a real live tornado in my life. The closest we've come were sirens going off and the sound of one flying right over our house. A big ass tornado did pass by my mom's work one time. I saw a picture of it and that tiny thing several feet away was the building my mom worked in. It didn't hit them thankfully.

escobert
08-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Things like this make me even more happy to live on my litte backwoods mountain state.

noxious.sunshine
08-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Nashville Flood.

Was awful.

I've mentioned it before a few times. The pre-school of the Christian school I went to went floating down the freeway, Opry Mills Mall & Opryland Hotel were completely destroyed, downtown was smurfed, and I was at work like 1/4 mile away from where Mill Creek flooded up over the I-24 overpass. A kid that worked at the O'Charley's right beside us got stupid and tried to walk home. He didn't make it.

The pre-school wound up on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and Leanne Touhy (from "The Blind Side") helped in the re-building of it.

pFjaQoOdJvI

I kind of hate this video because I'm not sure how accurate some of those claims are, but a large chunk of those pictures are places that are really close to where I lived & worked (the Target, the baseball field, the high school football field, etc).

~*~Celes~*~
08-27-2014, 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZYEwatoK3Q

my hometown. I was in town that day/night for some friends' graduation parties...I heard everything being ripped apart, the high school that I had just graduated from 2 years prior was the loudest. I'll never forget.