PDA

View Full Version : Do You Bother With Superbosses?

Pumpkin
08-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Enemies like the WEAPONS in VII, or Ozma in IX.

I hardly ever did really. Wasn't my cup of tea

Freya
08-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Not usually. I would occasionally but i don't tend to go out of my way for them.

arenzi
08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
No. The only time I did was Ultima Weapon in 8 because I wanted to get Eden. Otherwise I don't care.

chionos
08-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Yep, every time. Primary reason I loved FFXI and FFXII.

Vermachtnis
08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Of course, Final Fantasy is pretty easy to break. And in the main plot your characters are really overpowered. But these super bosses are programmed with that in mind and give you a run for your money.

Psychotic
08-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Only very very rarely.

metagloria
08-26-2014, 06:42 PM
In a Final Fantasy game, I will beat everything. Ozma, Ruby Weapon, Vercingetorix, I will beef up and take them down. But in most other RPGs, even if I love the game (SO3, Xenoblade), I find myself unwilling to exert the effort to beat the hardest foes.

Karifean
08-26-2014, 09:21 PM
If I like a Final Fantasy game's combat system, I will gladly take on the superbosses to test my skill and prowess in said system. So, uh, always actually. Although since I've only had this mindset for a while there are still a lot of superbosses I haven't fought, but quite a lot of boss battles I've had were really really fun and I'm proud of having overcome them.

The Man
08-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Sometimes. It depends how much I enjoyed the battle system, it seems. I did for FFX and FFV, but not for FFIX despite it being my second-favourite game in the series.

Noire
08-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Always. I've been a completionist almost since I started playing games, and I find beating them to be extremely satisfying. Yiazmat in one sitting was an epic battle <3

...plus in RPGs these days, usually it's the only way to get any sort of challenge without restricting yourself.

Uchu
08-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Usually give them ago. It really depends on how much I care to play the game. On my recent playthrough of FFVIII, I couldn't be bothered to do the extra bosses, kind of had enough by the end of the game.

Ayen
08-27-2014, 01:08 AM
The superbosses usually find me.

Colonel Angus
08-27-2014, 02:11 AM
In XII, yes. In my last playthrough of V I did. I don't remember fighting the Weapons in VII, though.

Depression Moon
08-27-2014, 03:35 AM
I said fuck it to the weapons in VII. They were too hard for me. I remember there was an insanely powerful one in V or III, it was a random encounter in that game, I think that was either Ultima or Omega Weapon. I died on a first try and didn't attempt to go fight it again, but I will on a replay.

Wolf Kanno
08-27-2014, 03:42 AM
Depends on the game and even then I'm not very driven to do it.

Pheesh
08-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Kingdom Hearts is really the only series where I've bothered to do this.

Ergroilnin
08-27-2014, 05:41 AM
Always.

blackmage_nuke
08-27-2014, 06:07 AM
Only Atma Weapon who doesnt count and Dark Vaelfor who was the weakest.

Mirage
08-27-2014, 07:00 AM
If i think the combat system is enjoyable, yes, always.

VeloZer0
08-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Depends on how much I like the game and how stupid the post game grind is. Back in the day when I was younger and had more free time I always completed them, but now I have less disposable time, and using it grinding doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Loony BoB
08-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Only really done this in VIII and XIII (five star thing).

Was there one in V?

Spuuky
08-27-2014, 04:35 PM
The Omega Weapon and Shinryuu.

Del Murder
08-28-2014, 05:48 PM
I used to try and fight them but recently 'super boss' has meant a bazillion HP and some kind of cheap mass kill move. I'm not interested in spending a half hour on a guy only to wipe to some random unblockable attack.

Though I will say the bosses in Bravely Default have been a lot of fun because they don't use these cheap tactics. Most of the time you can figure out and plan a strategy to fit each one.

chionos
08-28-2014, 07:06 PM
I used to try and fight them but recently 'super boss' has meant a bazillion HP and some kind of cheap mass kill move. I'm not interested in spending a half hour on a guy only to wipe to some random unblockable attack.

Though I will say the bosses in Bravely Default have been a lot of fun because they don't use these cheap tactics. Most of the time you can figure out and plan a strategy to fit each one.

Agreed. I mean, used to be the ridiculous hp was like one particular style of difficulty in boss fights, but now it's the default. In the past there were some bosses that were hard because of massive hp, and some that were hard because they had certain immunities to work around, or certain debilitating attacks (malboro super-bosses), or had some pattern to figure out and manipulate, etc. More and more they're just marathons.

You know, it looks like FFXV might have some good fights with strategy being a big part of the combat. At least, that's what I'm hoping the videos we've seen so far are alluding.

It's difficult to find ways to make battles challenging without stacking HP in JRPGs with turn-based combat, but there's no excuse for any system that has battles in real time. None at all.

metagloria
08-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Oh man, make sure you do all the side battles in chapters 7 and 8. I waltzed in with a level 99 party unprepared and got eviscerated several times. But it really was a blast to try to plan out a solid party setup (yet sometimes unabashedly relying on Stillness abuse).

Christmas
04-25-2022, 02:16 AM
Of course! It is my goal to kill anything killable in a game to satisfy my ever-growing bloodlust. If I can kill every NPCs in a game, i would ensure all of them have their life taken out of them with immediate effect. :bigsmile:

Destroy everything!! :mwahaha:

Galuf
04-25-2022, 06:24 PM
Used to not because I thought I was too bad to beat them. But nowadays I like to complete everything if I can, so I do.
For FF I have beaten:
FF1: Warmachine
FF2: Light Emperor
FF3: none
FF4: Zeromus EG ( not even a superboss but it's all you get on GBA)
FF5: Omega, Shinryu
FF6: none
FF7: none
FF8: none
FF9: Hades, Ozma
FF10: All dark Aeons, Penance, Monster arena thing
FF12: Omega MKXII, Zodiark, Yiazmat, 5 Judges
FF13: Long Gui, Vercingetarix
FF14: Unending Coil of Bahamut, The Weapons Refrain (Ultima Weapon), The Epic of Alexander ( These are basically superbosses in MMO form)

Still a long way to go to get them all but I will!

I don't think many other games I've played have superbosses. I guess Red from Pokemon Gen 2/HGSS?

Mr Gashtacular
04-26-2022, 07:41 AM
Generally, no. I've done various superbosses in 7, 8, XII and XIII. One day I will try Ozma but I really can't be bothered with the chocobo pre-requisite.

The only thing is there's not usually any challenge, particularly with youtube and other walkthroughs telling you the best approach (I am lazy and do not enjoy the puzzle of working things out for myself)