PDA

View Full Version : Your Life Goals

Shiny
08-27-2014, 08:41 AM
A lot of people have had short term or long term New Years resolutions for this year so I am curious, what are your life goals? These can be things that you want to accomplish sometime in your lifetime.

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Travel the world, or most of it before 50. I want to be young and travel with a capable body. Not saying that 60+ year olds can't be fit, but I probably won't be at that age. :lol:

2. Make a feature film. It's so close I can taste it. This also goes hand-in-hand with my last goal.

3. Make something that informs other people of something that many people aren't aware of. This in the works as well. I'm working on a short documentary and I'd like to do more of something that I can learn from as well.

4. Grow and recently growing to me means something entirely different than it did five years ago. Nowadays I think growing is learning everyday and becoming a better person whether it be through being altruistic or just a simple kindness towards someone you don't even know.

5. Have a work of art distributed for a wide audience. I make stuff. I want it noticed and hopefully appreciated by some. It's hard for that to happen, but hopefully if I make something most likely in collaborated effort with a group of talented people that can happen one day.

A kind of optional goal that I'm not entirely sure is that important yet: Go to Nigara Falls with whoever I am with whenever this happens and see wtf my dad is talking about by romantic.

deepdoop
08-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Have you made any films that are out there now? I wouldn't mind seeing. But if not, let me know when you get your documentary done.

My only real goal is just to be creative and get paid for it. I guess I'm a writer, at least in my head. I have a lot of ideas but haven't done a whole lot with them. It's hard to get motivated when you work a job and just feel like vegging out after work and watch a movie or play a game.

The only creative/productive thing I do now is a video game blog. I have almost stopped it numerous times but I figure, it's possible to slowly gain an audience (so I might be able to use said audience later), and if I'm going to play video games anyway, I might as well write about them. So I guess it would be cool if the blog took off but I kinda have it set in my head to go hard with the blog for another year or less and then if it hasn't gotten anywhere just abandon it and concentrate on writing something else.

Ideally I would like to springboard onto other creative endeavors if my writing ever catches on.

Shorty
08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Travel is on mine as well. I've got a little bit of a start, and I hope that I can make much bigger strides in the coming years. Much of my bucket list includes travel, and though I don't think I'll ever complete all of it, doing as much as I can would make me feel accomplished.

I've known from a young age that I wanted to devote a part of my life to writing a novel. Life's gotten in the way up until now, but it's been the one thing I've known I would do all my life. I suppose this one goes in hand with distributing a work of art for an audience as well.

Not too many other things specific to myself. Get married, have children, find a way to be stress-free and happy. Comparatively speaking, I am in a much better position than I was in years before, and I can feel myself inching toward a life that will make me happier and leaving the mounds of stress and anxiety I've been burying myself in for most of my life. It's a good feeling!

Pumpkin
08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
1. Raise my son well
2. Become a stay at home mom
3. Go to France and Italy
4. Be happy

noxious.sunshine
08-27-2014, 07:54 PM
1.) Travel to all 50 states- even if it's just a road trip through the 48 contiguous ones without really doing much sight seeing. I've been to 20/30-ish so far in my life. My dad hasn't been to Maine & possibly Vermont. And he certainly hasn't been to Alaska or Hawaii (though he's been to Alberta, Canada). That's a big goal.

2.) Settle down in TN- in a house. A nice one. That's not in one of those suburb type places, but an actual neighborhood.

3.) Have my daughter back.

4.) -Maybe- get married. IDK. I'm still very much on the fence with that one.

5.) Get out of debt and fix my credit.

6.) Not just be financially stable, but have money to do & buy things whenever we want (as opposed to having to save for it).

Nate
08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
1. Get married, have a few kids.

2. Get out of debt.

3. Travel internationally (more of it at least)

4. Set myself up for a secure retirement.

5. Fix up my classic car.

6. Stay fit.

Formalhaut
08-27-2014, 08:04 PM
This can really only be done with bullet points. None of these are in order of importance:

Develop my relationship with Sam. It will be our first year together in under a month now, so I'm really looking forward to it! My life goal is to eventually get married, and have children, with him. Raise a family. I saw a news article today (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-28946521), about a couple celebrating their 80th wedding anniversary. It's very sweet, and I hope we can even get close to that level of love and commitment.
I'll keep this next one brief for you guy's sake, but my next life goal is to just grow as a Christian. This one is very much a work in progress.
Finish University well and get into a decent job to start to build a livelihood.
I'd love to learn a musical instrument at some point. Not at like a virtuoso level, but just, good enough to please people with it. This one may take some time, and possibly some money to complete.
I'd like to learn how to like myself more. I'm still terribly pessimistic about myself, belittling my achievements and exacerbating my failures. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to achieve this, but it's a goal I have.
I'd like to grow my own vegetables, or herbs, or fruits, or something. This is quite a low priority, granted, but it's there.
I really want to, at some point, get fit. Do proper, regular exercise. Maybe when I'm older I'll join a gym or take up tennis or something. Anything that gets me doing something that will make me fitter.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Hm. Some of these life goals of yous guys are pretty great. Some mighty aspirations, I like it. Here are some of mine.

Visit the five inhabited continents. (I have Africa and South America left.)

Write a fiction novel. (I'll finish someday!)

Get a B.S. degree (Probably in marine biology)

Live on a boat in tropical waters

arenzi
08-27-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't really think too far ahead, but one of my immediate goals right now is to travel. I'm finally making some plans to go on a solo trip, first in the US.

Ayen
08-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Be able to support myself off my reviews and have a good fanbase that follows my stuff.

Night Fury
08-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Travel to the USA
Write and publish some books
Swim with sharks
Have some children
Build my own home

escobert
08-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Live as far away from humanity as possible.

Crop
08-28-2014, 11:17 PM
I've got this dream about buying some land, I'm gonna give up the booze and the one night stands, and then I'll settle down in some quiet little town and forget about everything.

Shlup
08-30-2014, 12:53 AM
I want to buy a house and have another kid but that's about it. I've traveled to the places I've most wanted to, have a husband I like, a baby I like, and a job I like.

And I guess get a couch. I hate my couch.

fire_of_avalon
08-30-2014, 01:51 AM
Pretty much gave them all up. I guess I want to help make sure my sister's kids get it right. They're pretty cool tiny people.

noxious.sunshine
08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Own a Chanel bag.

And a pair (or 2) of red bottoms.

Yep. I'm materialistic. idc.

Yellow_Magic
08-30-2014, 05:21 PM
1. Survive

Shiny
09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Have you made any films that are out there now? I wouldn't mind seeing. But if not, let me know when you get your documentary done.

Just a few short films. The documentary most likely won't be done until late November. It will also be a short, but on the longer side. There's a lot of chunks we still have to take out of it for it to qualify for festivals.

Sephex
09-04-2014, 10:37 AM
I am sure people are going to disagree with me on this/take something out of context/misinterpret my meaning and viewpoint, but here I go.

I personally take things as they come. In my experience, it's cool to try to plan some nifty stuff in the future, but fully expect massive curve balls to be thrown at you that will change what you had in mind. Sometimes that sucks, but other times the end result is better off than anything you had planned in the first place. I am not trying to be a Debbie downer and say that no one should try, but just for me personally, the best experiences I have had in life are the ones I didn't really plan for.

Here's an example of what I kind of mean:A few years back, I was viciously told off by a girl that I dated for a few months that one of the reasons that we didn't work out (and why I am a bad person) is because I didn't have a 5 year plan. She thought she was the s*** because she recently graduated from a community college for graphic design and landed a job at a local business that custom makes signs for people. She ended up quitting the place because the owners barley paid her above minimum wage and the owners were really unethical.

But because I didn't get my job by throwing myself into thousands of dollars of debt by earning a degree, and I was happy with my job (in terms of payment) she had a big fit about that. Please note that I am not dogging people who have succeeded this way. I am dogging HER for giving me a hard time because I didn't live life according to her style.

My point is she planned for something and it blew up in her face, and she's stuck in life. I didn't do things according to a plan, went with the flow, and I have been taking care of myself just fine for several years now. She still lives with her mom, which is fine, but I found it a bit baffling that I was being criticized by a person who was living rent free with someone while I was on my own. I'm not at the top of the pile, and I have had a few lucky breaks, sure, but if I tried to orchestrate everything, I wouldn't be in the good position I am today.

Marky Tee
09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
can't decide between make a ton of money or doing something that i love...

Loony BoB
09-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Happiness above all else.

Marky Tee
09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
that was my opinion up until quite recently....now the monies is sounding appealing...

Loony BoB
09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
that was my opinion up until quite recently....now the monies is sounding appealing...
Money in itself has the ability to allow for an increase in happiness. The work you have to do to gain the money, though, could increase your unhappiness to the point that the money is not worth it. If you can get a job you enjoy that pays well, then you're onto a winner.

Marky Tee
09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
aye....or if you find one that pays really well you can put up with it being crappy

arenzi
09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
I am sure people are going to disagree with me on this/take something out of context/misinterpret my meaning and viewpoint, but here I go.

I personally take things as they come. In my experience, it's cool to try to plan some nifty stuff in the future, but fully expect massive curve balls to be thrown at you that will change what you had in mind. Sometimes that sucks, but other times the end result is better off than anything you had planned in the first place. I am not trying to be a Debbie downer and say that no one should try, but just for me personally, the best experiences I have had in life are the ones I didn't really plan for.

This is what I do too. I don't really know what I'd want in x amount of time and most plans blow up in my face anyway. The only plans I'd make are something like travel plans or saving up for a PS4 next year or something.

MissH
09-29-2014, 05:21 PM
1) Be healthy
2) Make a wonderul home
3) Get married
4) Have healthy,happy children
5) Be happy
6) Be financially secure

In no particular order. Obviously 1 and 5 would be lovely to have all the time, but,alas, life does not always work that way!

chionos
09-29-2014, 09:00 PM
In no particular order:

1. Find someone to love and have it actually work out.
2. Ph.D.
3. Travel: 50 states, New Zealand, Greece, Ireland, visit the great libraries of the world, see some of the great waterfalls of the world (waterfall lovemaking is on another list).
4. Learn to cook like a pro.
5. Write something worth reading.
6. Help people live better lives.
7. Write something worth writing.

Sephex, I hear you. I think there's a balance, though, between having no goals at all and having goals that define your life. Having or not having goals shouldn't define you, and certainly, drifting with the tides works for some people, but the ideal, for me anyway, is to set goals AND be able to roll with the punches, go with the flow, no matter what happens. You can embrace both.