PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Devil May Cry?

Ayen
08-29-2014, 07:13 AM
I already did a review of the new game so I figured I may as well.

My favorite Devil May Cry games are 1, 3, and DmC. I don't even hate 2 like a lot of DMC fans do, it's just not a favorite for a lot of reasons I plan to go into when I eventually review it. I haven't played much of 4.

Talk Devil May Cry here.

Wolf Kanno
08-29-2014, 09:37 AM
DMC3 is my absolute favorite and it broke the first game for me, I used to like it but in comparison DMC3 is just a better game overall in terms of... well frankly everything. Great story, excellent bosses, flawless battle system, good pacing, and the whole cast is actually well written and fun as opposed to the rest of the games. Soundtrack is awesome as well and the game had the right difficulty for the genre.

DMC1 isn't a terrible game but its controls are not ideal for an action game compared to the sequels and its humor is largely unintentional compared to DMC3 who knew how to play itself. The bosses were nice but repetitive since there were only five of them in the game. Game was filled with cheap as enemy designs though, fuck the Shadows and their offscreen attacks that take 80% of your health.

DMC2 was just boring and poorly designed with weak enemies and too many easy ways to exploit the game in your favor, it didn't help that Dante suddenly went all grim dark for no reason with only a few decent moments, the game was really more about Lucia who was interesting but Dante was more fun to play. The open environments didn't do the game any favors.

I can't say much for DMC4 since I never finished it, while I enjoy the Devil Bringer mechanic and happy Dante retains his Style system from DMC3, we again find ourselves in a DMC2 scenario where Dante kind of feels like he's here because of contractual obligation rather than actually being important to the story and Nero has too many character issues to carry a game like DMC. The big kick to the teeth with the game was the silly board game rooms and the lazy level design that made you play through the whole game twice.

I've only played the demo for DmC and while I found it novel it didn't strike me as something I felt I needed but maybe in the future I'll give the game a whirl and a fair shake to see if it deserves the ire fans give it or if they are just all too butthurt about changing a character who was never really deep to begin with.

Ayen
08-29-2014, 10:13 AM
I didn't think DmC was deserving of most of the fan hate it got. I can understand fans being upset at Team Ninja's arrogance when they claimed their Dante would be so cool they'd forget the old one ever existed, if that actually happened. I haven't looked into it yet. If that is what they said I wish they wouldn't have done that. The new Dante IMO is better fleshed out as a character, but I wouldn't say he's cooler than the old Dante.

I pretty much agree with everything you said about 1 - 3. I don't mind a more serious Dante, what I do mind is them not acknowledging that his personality has changed and expecting us to just go along with it. I always figured that somewhere between 1 and 2 Trish died. That would explain why he's more grim than he was in the first game and Trish's absence outside of being an unlockable character on Lucia's disc. His mother's death affected him a lot and since Trish looked like his mother losing her would be like losing Eva all over again. But we don't get any explanation and Capcom and fans just pretend 2 never happened. Which I don't blame them for, since you can skip 2 altogether and not miss anything important.

Dat Matt
08-30-2014, 08:27 PM
I liked Nero from 4, but I played DMC 3 the most. So my vote goes there.

Bayonetta is also a Rad DMC game

LunarWeaver
09-02-2014, 04:56 PM
I really liked 3 and actually enjoyed DmC too. It wasn't perfect, but fans were a little overzealous with their hate. I'd rather play Bayonetta a fifth time than play 4 a second time. The first two are a little dated and hard for me to get back into.

I'd probly bang Dante if he were real and offered, since I know everyone was wondering.

:wcanoe:

Ayen
09-02-2014, 05:04 PM
The first two are a little dated and hard for me to get back into.

I hear that. Played DMC 1 last October and it was nothing how I remember it. Dante has come a long way as a character since then, too. I haven't played the second one in years, but it probably didn't help that I first played it after DMC 3 so it felt even more underwhelming than it probably would have on its own.

Bright Shield
09-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Gotta go with DMC3, especially the Special Edition version.

Richard
05-05-2015, 06:25 PM
I've loved every single DMC game ever released.

DMC 2 is a prime favorite of mine as it introduced me to the series.

krissy
05-06-2015, 05:14 AM
dmc3 is the best
1 is ok
2 was a chore tbh

havent played 4
like the demo for dmc but can't find a used copy anywhere in this city

Richard
05-11-2015, 04:43 AM
5th in my opinion was way better than the original. The story was better evolved. If you should know. The original was actually to have been intended as a Resident Evil game.