PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo announces a brand new 3DS model

Agent Proto
08-29-2014, 02:47 PM
And it features a "C-Stick", a second analog stick that many gamers were looking for! (http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announced-a-new-3ds-1628389333)

This is very exciting. Any thoughts on this new look for the 3DS?

You can compare it with the older model as well. (http://kotaku.com/how-does-the-new-3ds-compare-to-the-older-one-1628391755)

Noire
08-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Well, with a Xenoblade Chronicles port/remake coming out for this...day one purchase. I wasn't really all that interested...until I saw that. That threw my excitement levels through the roof. I'll get an XL model, because I honestly prefer the bigger screens; my DSi XL and 3DS XL have both been quite satisfying upgrades. I somehow doubt that second analogue stick is quite as easy to use as is claimed - the thing is bloody miniscule! - but it can't be any worse than the analogue nub the PSP had. I doubt it'll compare to the PS Vita's proper dual analogue, though. A comfortable, yet still somewhat vexing, middle ground. The buttons look pretty snazzy too.

All the same, I hope Nintendo don't stop making "regular" 3DS games with the release of this; I don't really feel that I've gotten as much use out of my 3DS as I should have quite yet. It is essentially the same console, but that updated processing power means they can do so much more with it...the possibilities are very exciting indeed. I expect great things from this to justify my purchase of it. I also expect a reasonable (i.e. no more than £120) price tag...but then, when it comes to pricing, Nintendo are easily the most reasonable. Now if only they could get over their bloody ridiculous region locking obsession...

Bolivar
08-29-2014, 03:47 PM
It also has extra buttons on the back and a faster CPU that lets it run games the 3DS can't, like the upcoming port of Xenoblade Chronicles they announced with it (edit: Noire beat me!).

So overall more like the Gameboy Color rather than a DSi situation.

fat_moogle
08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't have a 3DS, nor do I plan on getting a New 3DS. I find it stupid though how they're releasing exclusive games for it, that completely cuts off a pre-existing fan base of millions.

Bolivar
08-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Or bets that they will upgrade. This allows them to both harvest the existing fanbase while reaching out to new gamers. I'm with you as far as our personal take on its appeal, though.

Slothy
08-29-2014, 06:16 PM
There is so much that's wrong with this. Okay, well three things mostly:

1) A new 3DS that hasn't been renamed to make clear it's not the same thing. Hopefully that's coming though.
2) A C stick carrying on the tradition started by the Gamecube of making on of the most important bits of the hardware too small for actual human hands to use comfortably, and;
3) Not ditching the 3D that never really worked and added nothing to the experience except headaches and eye fatigue (and unless more viewing angles means every viewing angle, I don't see that being fixed).

Other than that it sounds pretty good.

fat_moogle
08-29-2014, 06:28 PM
3) Not ditching the 3D
*couple months after New 3DS launch*

Nintendo is pleased to announce the New 2DS. The New 2DS, just as the New 3DS, has a boosted CPU which means to play new games going forward you'll need to replace your standard POS 3DS / XL / 2DS.

I know choice is good, but too much choice and things get complicated and people get mugged off.

Del Murder
08-29-2014, 06:36 PM
That c-stick is smurfing tiny, even on the bigger one.

I'll have to wait and see how many 'New 3DS' exclusive games there will be. I love Xenoblade but I already put 100+ hours into the Wii version. Not interested in doing it again.

Also I agree that 'New 3DS' is a stupid name if the thing will have exclusive games. Should call it 3DS+ or 3DS Prime or something like that.

Vyk
08-29-2014, 09:30 PM
The whole time I was reading that I was thinking it was just going to be the Circle Pad Pro built-in and then have a slew of new games designed to utilize it. But no. Their plan is to have a slew of new games that make every other system on the market obsolete. Thanks Nintendo. I haven't even had mine for a year. And it's not like the price had been significantly reduced in preparation for something like this. I was hoping I could just buy a Circle Pad and still enjoy the games that were coming. But nope. This kinda irritates me and makes me want to hack my 3DS now >.>

I imagine this is how Wii fans felt when the WiiU was announced halfway through the generation

I just bought a 3DS XL, I'm saving up for either a Vita or a Playstation TV. And now I'm supposed to care about a new 3DS

How the hell do Apple fanboys put up with this kinda crap? I don't care enough about Nintendo to want to put up with this..

I prefer how they did it with the Gameboy Advance generation, or the DS. New iterations that refined the design with better batter lives and better screens but never made their generation brethren obsolete

Though I'm probably fuming more because I'm tired than anything else. But meh

metagloria
08-30-2014, 12:55 AM
When they do crap like this, they need to offer trade-in deals. Nobody needs a 3DS, a 3DS XL, a 2DS XL, and a New 3DS XL. Stop it Nintendo.

Colonel Angus
08-30-2014, 01:09 AM
The question begs, will Square make a new version of FFI for this system?

Mirage
08-30-2014, 01:26 AM
A better course would be to let the new games be playable on old 3DSes, but in a new 3DS, you'd get things like higher resolution, antialiasing, texture resolution and perhaps 60 fps instead of 30.

Also, please add bluetooth to it, so I don't have to use the wires for my headphones.

NorthernChaosGod
08-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Wtf, I just got a 3DS XL. There is almost no chance of me upgrading it to play different games. Fuck you, Nintendo. :colbert:

Fynn
08-30-2014, 06:23 AM
The whole time I was reading that I was thinking it was just going to be the Circle Pad Pro built-in and then have a slew of new games designed to utilize it. But no. Their plan is to have a slew of new games that make every other system on the market obsolete. Thanks Nintendo. I haven't even had mine for a year. And it's not like the price had been significantly reduced in preparation for something like this. I was hoping I could just buy a Circle Pad and still enjoy the games that were coming. But nope. This kinda irritates me and makes me want to hack my 3DS now >.>

I imagine this is how Wii fans felt when the WiiU was announced halfway through the generation

I just bought a 3DS XL, I'm saving up for either a Vita or a Playstation TV. And now I'm supposed to care about a new 3DS

How the hell do Apple fanboys put up with this kinda crap? I don't care enough about Nintendo to want to put up with this..

I prefer how they did it with the Gameboy Advance generation, or the DS. New iterations that refined the design with better batter lives and better screens but never made their generation brethren obsolete

Though I'm probably fuming more because I'm tired than anything else. But meh

This is kind of similar to the DSi, though, it's not a new generation yet. And if the DSi is anything to go by, there won't be that many exclusives and nothing too significant. I don't think those who don't upgrade will suffer for it.

Ayen
08-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Wtf, I just got a 3DS XL. There is almost no chance of me upgrading it to play different games. smurf you, Nintendo. :colbert:

This. Leeching off of other people's posts ftw.

Mirage
08-30-2014, 10:51 AM
This is kind of similar to the DSi, though, it's not a new generation yet. And if the DSi is anything to go by, there won't be that many exclusives and nothing too significant. I don't think those who don't upgrade will suffer for it.
Everyone who wanted Xenoblade will suffer.

Fynn
08-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Xenoblade is my favorite game of all time and I already put way over a 100 hours into it on the Wii. And I have a 3DS XL and don't intend to upgrade. Don't feel like I'm losing out a lot :colbert:

Mirage
08-30-2014, 01:55 PM
What about those who never had a Wii/U?

Aulayna
08-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Wtf, I just got a 3DS XL. There is almost no chance of me upgrading it to play different games. smurf you, Nintendo. :colbert:

In Ireland at least, GameStop tend to an offer where you can trade in your current model and pay €20-30 on top to get the new model.

Yellow_Magic
08-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Lucky enough to not have got my 3DS XL recently (it was last September IIRC) but I'm still pretty miffed. Gotta love technology sometimes *says CS graduate*

NorthernChaosGod
08-30-2014, 10:54 PM

In Ireland at least, GameStop tend to an offer where you can trade in your current model and pay €20-30 on top to get the new model.

Unless they have the upgrade in the same Zelda motif as my XL, not happening. :colbert:

Ayen
08-30-2014, 11:08 PM

I'm not paying extra for a trade in.

DMKA
08-30-2014, 11:36 PM
I wish they'd announce new games.

Skyblade
08-31-2014, 06:46 PM
A better course would be to let the new games be playable on old 3DSes, but in a new 3DS, you'd get things like higher resolution, antialiasing, texture resolution and perhaps 60 fps instead of 30.

Also, please add bluetooth to it, so I don't have to use the wires for my headphones.

I don't know. Nintendo doesn't seem to like doing things halfway. I can't see them willing to take an overall quality drop that low. I heard that part of the reason for the better processor on the New 3DS is to allow it to run games like Xenoblade, so I'm not sure they could tone it down.

I'm sort of intrigued by the overall functionality improvements. Wider range of 3D viewing angle is huge. Built in Amiibo functionality is probably going to save another 20 bucks or so over the older model. Faster processor and load times should be great all the way around. And apparently better wireless interaction. It's looking to be a pretty substantial upgrade.

Dat Matt
08-31-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm glad it's an upgrade, but I can see why people are pissed that they are making exclusive games for it. It's not like the Gameboy Colour/GBA SP which were improvements but those using the Gameboy or Gameboy Advance could still play the games. I assume all first party games from now on will be designed for the New 3DS rather than the Old 3DS. So with this update we're basically reaching a new generation of handheld games, rather than an upgrade of the same model.

Mirage
08-31-2014, 09:13 PM

I don't know. Nintendo doesn't seem to like doing things halfway. I can't see them willing to take an overall quality drop that low. I heard that part of the reason for the better processor on the New 3DS is to allow it to run games like Xenoblade, so I'm not sure they could tone it down.

I'm sort of intrigued by the overall functionality improvements. Wider range of 3D viewing angle is huge. Built in Amiibo functionality is probably going to save another 20 bucks or so over the older model. Faster processor and load times should be great all the way around. And apparently better wireless interaction. It's looking to be a pretty substantial upgrade.

Well, I'm not sure if I would call it halfway. Higher texture resolution combined with higher rendering resolution can really make a very big impact on perceived visual quality. I'm not sure how well antialiasing actually works when you use a 3D display like what's in a 3DS, but that also adds a lot if you ask me. Personally, I also notice some framerate reductions in certain scenes in Bravely Default when playing in 3D, so there's definitely some improvements that could be made there as well. All that, combined with better 3D (for those who actually care about that), and several other enhancements would be enough for me to get one, and I don't even play a lot of 3DS games.

Even if people with a regular 3DS are going to feel like they don't play the games as well as they could be, I think they'd be more bummed by being forced to upgrade, rather than being encouraged to upgrade. I think being limited to playing a 3DS+ game in 2D mode and somewhere near 30fps would be better than not being able to play it at all, even if the new 3DS could run the same game in 60fps 3D.