PDA

View Full Version : No Chrono Trigger 2

Freya
08-30-2014, 02:55 AM
Not Chrono Cross. Sakaguchi did a PAX panel.

59380 (https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/505509435460956161)

Let' be sad together.

Vyk
08-30-2014, 03:11 AM
Square Enix doesn't like money. They also don't like to make good games lol

Freya
08-30-2014, 03:13 AM
That's probably why Sakaguchi actually left. "guys, guys. Chrono trigger 2. What do you think" "Nope." "Fuck it I'm out of here."

Vyk
08-30-2014, 03:54 AM
Yeah, I don't even like Chrono Trigger and I'd have to throw up my hands at that one. It's arguably more popular than any of their Final Fantasies. Like srsly wtf. Maybe Wolf or Sephiroth or someone will come in here and explain that Chrono Trigger was a huge disappointment in Japan and only popular in the West or something

VeloZer0
08-30-2014, 04:18 AM
That blows. Seeing as this was back in the day they probably would have actually done a good job.

Wolf Kanno
08-30-2014, 05:57 AM
This surprises and disappoints me a bit. Chrono Trigger was pretty successful on both sides of the Pacific for its time. Wonder if presented it to them while he still worked for SE though?

Sephiroth
08-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Let's see what the future brings.

Mirage
08-30-2014, 02:00 PM
even if I don't really have any hope for seeing CT2, I think now would be the perfect time to suggest it for SE.

Sephiroth
08-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Akira Toriyama is pretty active with Dragon Ball nowadays so this would be a time with good motivation, yes, but he probably is also too busy with it.

Freya
08-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Yah, if you watch the panel he said it was gears ago when he was still with them.

Depression Moon
08-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Akira Toriyama is pretty active with Dragon Ball nowadays so this would be a time with good motivation, yes, but he probably is also too busy with it.

How is he still busy with Dragonball?

Sephiroth
08-30-2014, 04:18 PM

How is he still busy with Dragonball?

He rewrote the 2013 movie Battle of Gods, helpsmaking a New one, has written a prequel created Goku's mother and other Details about 17 and 18, Boo, Freezer and such.

Vyk
08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Was he actually that actively involved in the creation of the first one anyway? It'd probably take him all of a day to sketch up a handful of concept art for the protagonists and a main villain or two that the game's art team can then draw from, no problem

Forsaken Lover
08-31-2014, 12:27 AM
They'd have to hire Masato Kato back but I guess they already do that sort of since he has worked on a lot of the Mana games and Square makes those I do believe.

You'd also need Mitsuda. What was the last thing he composed for Square?

CT was a "dream team" effort which is why a lot of people feel Cross fell short.

EDIT:

I can't remember where I saw it but I did see a comment from Mitsuda translated into English that was him basically saying if they make another Chrono game they better get Kato back. The two of them seem like very good friends.

Sephiroth
08-31-2014, 12:43 AM
Was he actually that actively involved in the creation of the first one anyway? It'd probably take him all of a day to sketch up a handful of concept art for the protagonists and a main villain or two that the game's art team can then draw from, no problem

Artist is artist, no matter what or how many of it he did. Of course many can do that such as Toei did the Dragon Ball anime but it is still his very own original style so they would most likely try to get him back in that case.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 12:53 AM
It wouldn't be an issue for him to be involved, he was finishing up DBZ manga while working on CT as well as the fact he was working on both Dragon Ball manga, character designs for Dragon Quest and a tie-in Dragon Quest manga all around the same time in the late 80s early 90s. So I feel he wouldn't have much issue doing both, especially since CT would be a relatively short term project as opposed to Dragon Ball.

Akira Toriyama did have a bit to do with the game, CT came about after Sakaguchi, Toriyama, and Horii all met each other at an electronics expo and started talking shop, which eventually led to them deciding to make a game together. Toriyama wasn't just the character designer, he was also the world designer and set a tone to the game which is why it feels a bit more light-hearted and whimsical despite some of the dark subject matter CT had going for it.

Sephiroth
08-31-2014, 01:07 AM
His name is Toriyama. And his involvement in these things is not the same kind it was 20 years ago. Just as he was totally glad to have finally finished Dragon Ball and let others do most of the rest while only being an advisor and provider of just some artwork it is a wonder that he nowadays came back to do so much for Dragon Ball again. Him doing Dragon Ball stuff again and Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest will probably be not his thing anymore.

Freya
08-31-2014, 01:13 AM
Okay after pointing out a misspelling, cause that's relevant, this whole thing was a few years ago, according to sakaguchi. Which means they all probably had time, at the time. It was only SE management that shut it down.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 01:29 AM
How is it really any different? Yes he only provided artwork for DQ but for CT he was actually pretty involved in the first stages back in 1993, began working on DQVI's designs the following year and was working on writing the last story arc of Dragon Ball all at the same time. Hell he was still trying to hit deadlines for DBZ up until the CT's release in Japan. By that time he was asking his fans to let him finally end the series so he can get on with his life so I'm pretty sure that's a good sign he was stressed out during this whole period, whereas he seems to be a pretty relaxed guy nowadays considering most of his work has been doing side projects with other manga authors and occasionally drawing up a new character for this quarters new Dragon Ball game.

Now? He's just working on a few one-shots for Shonen Jump when not coming into do character design work for Dragon Quest. His involvement with the DBZ animation ended last year with the last DBZ movie which he did for charity in order to raise awareness of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami a few years ago and he just finished his Dragon Ball art show in Japan, frankly it doesn't seem to me like he would be terribly busy unless he just recently announced a huge reboot of Dragon Ball but all my sources say he's just working on a new film project which wouldn't be a big deal.

Sephiroth
08-31-2014, 01:43 AM
How is it really any different?

Doing the same kind of stuff in someone's fifties someone did in their 20s/30s is not something you can expect, especially not if someone is very glad to be done with certain long projects.

Now? He's just working on a few one-shots for Shonen Jump when not coming into do character design work for Dragon Quest. His involvement with the DBZ animation ... unless he just recently announced a huge reboot of Dragon Ball but all my sources say he's just working on a new film project which wouldn't be a big deal.

He is constantly working on Dragon Ball projects, it being the story about Bardock and Gine, the prequel of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, pleases people with interviews which wonders many people as they finally get some new material and also works on the 2015 Dragon Ball movie which was announced not too long ago. I can remember his final words about vol. 42 of Dragon Ball so him coming back for more involvement was a great surprise for people. And he is very active with that stuff at the moment. Even Battle of Gods had its script rewritten by him even though he was just asked to check it.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 01:57 AM
It's not terribly labor intensive as a monthly deadline of a popular series that could get you fired if you screw up, which is what it's like to be working with Shonen Jump (read Bakuman to get a taste of the pressure) so I would feel that being in his 50s so he can come in, do some character designs and give some advice on overall story direction while the game developers do all the heavy lifting wouldn't exactly be a huge strain on the man. It would be like maybe three months out of his life with the rest dedicated to his other projects. Besides he enjoys working with Sakaguchi and Horii so I doubt he would turn them down, of anything it would just delay his other film projects and I would gladly take a Chrono Trigger 2 over a new DBZ film. :wcanoe:

Ayen
09-01-2014, 09:09 AM
I have never played a single Chrono game in my life and even I would have said yes to this proposal.

What the hell, Square?

deepdoop
09-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm not even bothered by this news at this point, even though I love the Chrono series, because I never really felt that Chrono Trigger needed a sequel. There are obviously things you can do with it if you really want to like fleshing out other characters, but it was a neat enough little package as is. There are other games that require sequels more.