PDA

View Full Version : Convince Square-Enix to bring Dragon Quest VII to the West.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2014, 06:36 AM
So recently at PAX (http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/31/square-enix-want-bring-dragon-quest-vii-3ds-west-arent-sure-itll-sell-enough/), someone asked the guy in charge of the DQ Mobile division about whether this game will ever leave Japan and apparently the problem is that DQVII has the largest script of any DQ game (which anyone who actually played it will confirm) and because the DQ games released since DQVIII has used a more colorful localization to add character to the games, they feel it would be too expensive to make and are worried that interest is not high enough to cover the costs. So if you can find their twitter or other social media profiles, tell them you're interested.

Thoughts?

Spuuky
09-01-2014, 10:38 AM
It wouldn't really surprise me if DQVII had the largest script of ANY game. That game is enormous.

Bolivar
09-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I would just rather they upload the NA release of Dragon Warrior VII to the PlayStation Store. I don't have any interest in playing the 3DS version of the game.

Make it the first PSOne Classic playable on PlayStation 4!

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I would just rather they upload the NA release of Dragon Warrior VII to the PlayStation Store. I don't have any interest in playing the 3DS version of the game.

Make it the first PSOne Classic playable on PlayStation 4!

Not when their is an opportunity for the consumer to spend $39.99 on the shiny new version. I don't think it's going to happen, just like how I will never be able to get a legal version of the Chronicles version of FFIV on my PSP or PS3 because they opted to force people to use the PSP remake instead. ;)

VeloZer0
09-01-2014, 07:46 PM
So translating the remake is too much work, but they can't go for the low hanging fruit because it would eliminate the possibility of translating the remake?

Guess this is a game I will never end up seeing.

Bolivar
09-02-2014, 02:47 AM
Well, they did upload FFT and FF Origins despite both having enhanced remakes on PSP, presumably to milk the PS3-only crowd. In any case, I realize it's just wishful thinking for them to upload Dragon Warrior VII on PSN, since if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't. Still, I'd rather put effort on that front since, personally, I like the aesthetic of that version a lot more but I also know it would probably take a tweet at a Sony official and a lunch meeting with them and SE to make it happen. Getting Nintendo to sign off would take months of campaigning and the aforementioned extensive localization.

Colonel Angus
09-02-2014, 02:57 AM
How about we focus on convincing Squeenix to release FFXV? or final fantasy xii izjs hd remastered in the west?

Vyk
09-02-2014, 03:53 AM
Regardless. This is one of the games I need to try..

Wolf Kanno
09-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Well, they did upload FFT and FF Origins despite both having enhanced remakes on PSP, presumably to milk the PS3-only crowd. In any case, I realize it's just wishful thinking for them to upload Dragon Warrior VII on PSN, since if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't. Still, I'd rather put effort on that front since, personally, I like the aesthetic of that version a lot more but I also know it would probably take a tweet at a Sony official and a lunch meeting with them and SE to make it happen. Getting Nintendo to sign off would take months of campaigning and the aforementioned extensive localization.

Funny enough, Nintendo has been responsible for publishing all of the Squenix's games for them, both DQIX and Bravery Default were not going to be released in the U.S. until Nintendo took over publishing rights. Nintendo allegedly wants to release this game out here but SE is refusing to let them do it supposedly.

chionos
09-02-2014, 05:23 AM
I don't understand. We already got DQVII in the west.

Vyk
09-02-2014, 07:20 AM
I've gotten the impression this is a 3DS port? Which is rarely just a straight port like PSN games. They have to add in that second screen yo. Didn't they do this with DQV? Or am I mistaken? And if so, how'd that go over? Shouldn't that give them an idea how well (or unwell) these games are received? And also ... DQIX actually. Since it's been mentioned. Sure, the games aren't as popular. But aren't they still popular?

Shauna
09-02-2014, 08:17 AM
EU never saw DQ7. I would enjoy owning it legit.

Yes, they could release it on PSN, however we still won't see it this side of the pond. Games that were only released in the NA region continues to be only released in the NA region on PSN.

Vyk
09-02-2014, 01:40 PM
...That doesn't even make sense. That's really sad :/

Shauna
09-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Seriously. Xenogears is a wonderful example of this already happening. :(

Bolivar
09-02-2014, 04:43 PM
I've gotten the impression this is a 3DS port? Which is rarely just a straight port like PSN games. They have to add in that second screen yo. Didn't they do this with DQV? Or am I mistaken? And if so, how'd that go over? Shouldn't that give them an idea how well (or unwell) these games are received? And also ... DQIX actually. Since it's been mentioned. Sure, the games aren't as popular. But aren't they still popular?

The 3DS remake in Japan is enhanced to look and play more like DQIX on the DS did, with monsters appearing in the dungeon as opposed to just random encounters. The bulk of the work would be translating this enormous game into English with puns and everything that could resonate with the target culture.

The DS remakes of IV, V, and VI already had translations buried in the game file IIRC so it wasn't a big ordeal to bring them over. As far as I could tell they didn't do that great and Nintendo had to step in to publish DQVI in NA.

McLovin'
09-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Hopefully nintendo will translate DQ7 cas it'd be worth it and they brought the other DQ's to NA so why discriminate against DQ7. It'll probably be announced next summer that they're working on it similar to the timeframe of the other DQ games on DS.

Wolf Kanno
09-04-2014, 06:53 AM
You know, part of me would enjoy playing through DQVII again, the other part of me still remembers the scars... Loomin and Dharama Temple.

chionos
09-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Yeah, really. I thought about it when I saw this thread. And then I really thought about it and decided I wasn't ready for that kind of relationship right now. To get through that game you have to have a relationship with it. You have to romance it and grind out the bad times and nope I'm just not ready for that.

Momiji
09-23-2014, 06:24 PM
I've been trying to get into the Dragon Quest series as of late and I've heard this is one of the best ones. Is the NA Playstation release somehow inferior to more recent versions, or should I just go ahead and look into getting that in lieu of some possible remake?

Bolivar
09-23-2014, 06:29 PM
From what I can tell it didn't have the great localization that captures the charming humor of Dragon Quest, which they only started pushing after Enix merged with Square. It might also be expensive to track down a copy and it's not available on the Playstation store.

I also think there's better entry points to the series, I always recommend VIII or IV DS.

Del Murder
09-23-2014, 07:00 PM
I also think there's better entry points to the series, I always recommend VIII or IV DS.
Yes, these are much better entry points than VII. Don't start with VII! VII should be played last after you gain appreciation for the entirety of the series.

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Hey now, DQVII was my second DQ game. :p

It's a solid game that will test your patience and suck in your soul if you let it. I would actually argue it has some of the best writing in the series even if it was more bite-size than other entries. Personally I would say DQIII and DQVIII are good starting points, DQIII will show you how the basic layout of the games work out and uses a fun job class mechanic for gameplay variety. VIII is kind of meh in terms of gameplay but if you play RPGs for plot only then this game has the most involving story.

Momiji
09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess I should be a little more specific: I'm trying to get back into the DQ series. I have DQ1 and I beat it when I was a little kid (It's actually what got me into RPGs!). I loved it. I also have DQIV for DS but I'm not really getting into it if not only because I keep getting stuck in it. I'm working on DQ2 right now and it's okay, I guess? I dunno.

I also have DQV and DQVI and DQIX available to me as well, for what it's worth. I just don't know why I can't get into DQIV :(

That said, DQVII intrigues me from what I've heard of it-- but I'm not opposed to waiting either, if you get what I'm saying.

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2014, 10:48 PM
DQIV just starts off promising but the repetitive grindfest that is combat in all the chapters (because I love grinding a new set of Lv. 1s back to Level 15 five different times every two hours) combined with all the character development being dropped kicked out of the game for the last Chapter so you can be dropped into the world and wander aimlessly around until you find the Zenthian Equipment with the game's vague hints makes for a "thrilling" experience. :roll2

Believe me, I had to force myself to finish DQIV. With that said, if you play VII, get a guide, because the game is downright cruel about giving you the Puzzle Pieces needed to move the story forward and its better to spoil yourself and save yourself the frustration of the game's incessant need to make you backtrack to previous areas after every major plot point. It's probably the only major beef I have with the game besides how unbalanced the job class system is but that's been an issue with every entry that has featured it.

Just be careful with DQII, there is an item needed in the final areas the game only drops the most vague clues for so it is very easy to miss; and the final boss has gained supreme notoriety for it's clunky A.I. that can make him either a cakewalk or impossible to beat.

Bolivar
09-24-2014, 12:06 AM
If you've already been introduced to the series. you might want to go with DQV, as it will challenge your expectations for the franchise.

Momiji
09-24-2014, 12:16 AM
I have indeed heard DQV is much better than IV, yeah. Maybe I'll just drop it for now and go for that.

McLovin'
09-24-2014, 08:45 PM
You know, part of me would enjoy playing through DQVII again, the other part of me still remembers the scars... Loomin and Dharama Temple.

But the Immigrant town and so much exploration and side quests and people to talk to :D