PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the translation?

Forsaken Lover
09-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Apparently it mucked up a few things, like Edea's speech and what Ultimecia says when she summons Griever.

Vyk
09-02-2014, 02:37 AM
...is there a re-translation patch? Or is this one of those things where people are like "Well in the Japanese version..." and it doesn't even matter because we can't play that one! >.< lol

Though I got the impression the plot was a mess regardless of how it was translated. And I doubt the Japanese gave Squall a lot more personality. But I'm intrigued none-the-less

Ayen
09-02-2014, 02:42 AM
I didn't have any problems with it. I like Edea's speech, it's one of my favorite moments from disc 1. Never heard the original speech, though.

Colonel Angus
09-02-2014, 03:04 AM
...is there a re-translation patch? Or is this one of those things where people are like "Well in the Japanese version..." and it doesn't even matter because we can't play that one! >.< lol

Though I got the impression the plot was a mess regardless of how it was translated. And I doubt the Japanese gave Squall a lot more personality. But I'm intrigued none-the-less

Whatever...

Wolf Kanno
09-02-2014, 05:55 AM
It would be interesting to see it get a new translation, honestly all three of the PS1 games could stand to get a port with a better translation. Granted, some thing just wouldn't work no matter what they tried like Fujin's speech pattern since there is no English equivalent.

Yellow_Magic
09-02-2014, 10:08 AM
I'll say whoever made Ultimecia use 'k's instead of 'c's is a freaking genius

Ergroilnin
09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
It would be interesting to see it get a new translation, honestly all three of the PS1 games could stand to get a port with a better translation. Granted, some thing just wouldn't work no matter what they tried like Fujin's speech pattern since there is no English equivalent.

I was always weirded out by her speech. How does she speak in Japanese?

Wolf Kanno
09-02-2014, 05:40 PM

It's more general, the English script gives you the impression Ultimecia is talking about herself personally being persecuted as some great witch but the Japanese is more of her flaunting humanity's stupidity to persecute a sorceress and then put one in charge. English fans interpret her speech as Ultimecia's motive but the Japanese version makes it feel more like she's talking in general terms and not about herself personally.

Colonel Angus
09-02-2014, 11:52 PM

It's more general, the English script gives you the impression Ultimecia is talking about herself personally being persecuted as some great witch but the Japanese is more of her flaunting humanity's stupidity to persecute a sorceress and then put one in charge. English fans interpret her speech as Ultimecia's motive but the Japanese version makes it feel more like she's talking in general terms and not about herself personally.
I think he meant how does Fujin speak.

Forsaken Lover
09-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Fujin speaks only in kanji. You can read a bit more about it here
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/43695546

Wolf Kanno
09-03-2014, 03:37 AM
I think he meant how does Fujin speak.

This is why I shouldn't reply to threads early in the morning. :eep:

Uchu
09-06-2014, 01:03 PM
In terms of how the game is presented, I always liked the translation. You can see different dialects and accents from certain characters and NPC's, which is nice. But in terms of how faithful it was to the original Japanese, i haven't played that version or read much about it.