PDA

View Full Version : The opposite of ragequit

Dr Unne
09-04-2014, 11:17 PM
We need a word for the opposite of ragequit. I'm talking about when your rage fuels your motivation to try harder.

I remember this a lot from NES days, where a lot of games were broken, unbalanced or grossly unfair. At some point a game stops being fun and you keep playing it out of stubbornness and desire to show the game who's boss and maybe a bit of hatred for the game developers who inflicted this game upon the universe. My beloved original Final Fantasy for NES has a lot of that in fact, with the frustration coming for example from lack of save points, long dungeons, slow walk/message speed, insta-kill enemies and their ability to ambush the party and kill you before you get a chance to do anything.

I experienced this again just this week while trying to beat They Bleed Pixels (http://www.theybleedpixels.com/), a wonderful atmospheric platformer which was driving me completely insane thanks to save points being spaced too far out, long "ride this elevator for 45 seconds" sections that I had to repeat over and over, and enemy hitboxes that are waaaaaaay too small to hit with the clumsy combat system in the game. I was sitting at 15% fun, 85% rage when I finally beat that game.

Spuuky
09-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Ah, yes, the most important characteristic in determining who is good at MOBAs and who isn't. If a fire burns behind you, do you step to the side, or run faster and faster until you can escape it?

Failure fuels my fighting spirit. I don't know what a good individual term is, though.

The Ceej
09-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Totally! I'm not a quitter, and I will beat anybody or anything that tries to take me on just to spite them, no matter how much it costs me. Warner Chappell sued me for copyright infringement even though Campbell v. Acuff-Rose, and rather than take down the offending video, I spent $1000 in legal fees to beat them. I won, so it was worth it.

A cop charged me with a non-existent crime and my plea bargain would have gotten me nothing but a guilty plea on my record with no fine or court cost, and I went all the way and beat the dirty cop in spite of the fact there was no consequence to give up.

I'm gonna give up on a VIDEO GAME!? HELL NO!! If I'll go up against the Powers That Be on principle, a video game ain't got nothin' on me!

Vyk
09-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Ragewin? Probably one of the best feelings ever. Whenever I get enraged and wreck a boss or hard part in a game, I imagine an episode of Samurai Jack where he got overwhelmed and then just went apeshit on everything. Once it was over he was standing on a pile of enemies, screaming "Who else wants some?!"

Imbue yourself with the fighting spirit of Samurai Jack

Loony BoB
09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Masochism. I'm guilty of this from time to time.

Ayen
09-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I did this today when I spam Y on Darksiders II with that fast dual weapon you can equip Death with. I forget its name.

Slothy
09-05-2014, 12:22 PM
I generally just call it spite myself.

Del Murder
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Masochism. I'm guilty of this from time to time.
Yep, that's it.

Spuuky
09-05-2014, 08:25 PM
It isn't always masochism. Enjoying the suffering is different than being compelled by the suffering to improve.

In competitive games, there is nothing that fuels the fire quit like an imbecile beating you/ridiculing you/etc for reasons beyond your control, and the laser focus and flawless execution that feeling imbues in you when the playing field is leveled.

metagloria
09-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Limit break.

Dr Unne
09-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Masochism would be "Oh yeah FF1, keep Sorcerering me, I love it when you annihilate my party". I can't say I've ever gone there.

I don't enjoy pain, I do enjoy the end result of working through pain: I got better at something and I feel good about having accomplished something difficult.

Dat Matt
09-07-2014, 12:43 PM
This isn't for me. I would flip out and rage quit far before then. Unless Fun:Rage is about 50:50 I wont continue playing.

Pete for President
09-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Cou-rage.

Dante WolfWood
09-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Rageforce?

Bubba
09-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm definitely a ragequitter (though not against opponents online) when the going gets tough. I generally turn off the power, place the pad on the floor and proceed to pound at my pillow for a full minute. I'm fine after that.

I will perservere with something for quite a while though if it makes me mad but... everyone has their breaking point.

EDIT:

proceed to pound at my pillow for a full minute

This is not an innuendo.

Wolf Kanno
09-10-2014, 07:43 PM

NeoCracker
09-10-2014, 11:04 PM