PDA

View Full Version : ExDeath ~ Awesome Evil Warlock or Silly Antagonist Tree?

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2014, 06:38 AM
What are your thoughts on ExDeath? Did you feel he was a good villain and antagonist or did you feel he was a bit cartoony and one-dimensional?

metagloria
09-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I thought he was suitable for the game. I think his name is a little silly though. Who wrote that, an 8-year-old?

VeloZer0
09-06-2014, 05:21 PM
He was absolutely one dimensional, but that isn't always a bad thing. I don't need everyone who opposes me to be some tragically abused figure who is only fighting because of their deep unresolved personal issues. Sometimes it does just come down to mutually incomparability and one side must win.

I thought the tree twist was interesting. I mean, how often do you get the big bad to be a tree? Didn't see that one coming.

He doesn't do anything to elevate him to super memorable villain, but he fits excellently into the game.

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I thought he was suitable for the game. I think his name is a little silly though. Who wrote that, an 8-year-old?

There is conflict among fans and even some official translators who debate whether his name is actually suppose to be Exodus and just kind of got said wrong back in the day.

Colonel Angus
09-06-2014, 06:50 PM

There is conflict among fans and even some official translators who debate whether his name is actually suppose to be Exodus and just kind of got said wrong back in the day.
That's very possible, considering the Esper Exodus in FFXII was based off of him. I think Exodus' name in Japanese literally translates to "Exdeath".

Pumpkin
09-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I do agree that never would I have thought "Watch this big bad is going to end up being an evil tree"

Sephiroth
09-07-2014, 09:39 PM

That's very possible, considering the Esper Exodus in FFXII was based off of him. I think Exodus' name in Japanese literally translates to "Exdeath".

Ekusudesu and Ekusodusu do not have the same katakana though so if the guy from Ivalice has the same katakana then okay. He is called Exdeath in the Japanese Dissidia so whatever was once or what the Ivalice Exodus is based off (which is likely considering you are fighting a tree in Tactics Advance), in the end he became Exdeath. I would like Exodus as name more, though. It gives him more meaning.

What is to say about X-Death? He is a cartoon Sauron.

Wolf Kanno
09-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Ekusudesu and Ekusodusu do not have the same katakana though so if the guy from Ivalice has the same katakana then okay. He is called Exdeath in the Japanese Dissidia so whatever was once or what the Ivalice Exodus is based off (which is likely considering you are fighting a tree in Tactics Advance), in the end he became Exdeath. I would like Exodus as name more, though. It gives him more meaning.

What is to say about X-Death? He is a cartoon Sauron.

The Ivalice version uses the same katakana as FFV (エクスデス). Perhaps his name was misspelled originally and Square just chose to keep it instead of correcting it? Hell his name in the OAV sequel was translated as Exodes so I don't think this would be far fetched.

Sephiroth
09-08-2014, 02:01 PM
If it was based on an error that they chose to make canon, just like several Mortal Kombat characters or gags have been made canon characters (Ermac and Noob Saibot), then yes. However I cannot imagine why they would choose Exdeath over Exodus. I mean, Exodes is also not exactly the same thing as Exodus. However it could still be based off Exodus just like Barthandelus is based off Baldanders but has never had the katakana Barudoanderusu but Barutoanderusu instead.