PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Siegfried?

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2014, 06:41 AM
One of the most enigmatic characters in the series, what is up with this swordsman? I sometimes wonder if he was meant to be part of a bigger sidequest that got left on the cutting room floor or if he was a one-shot character Kitase or Ito took a liking to and gave him more screen time than he was suppose to have and thus made him feel more important than he was meant to be.

What are your thoughts?

VeloZer0
09-06-2014, 07:27 AM
It really feels like he was meant for more, but just forgotten. Kind of an Ultros deal, but the discontinued edition.

chionos
09-06-2014, 09:16 AM
I thought we had this thread before and someone found proof that there was definitely more to the character, but something something. Actually, in my head it's you, WK, who found us the proof. Maybe it was a dream, shit I dunno.

Sieggy is intriguing and I most certainly wish his character had gotten more screen time.

You know, it could be that Sieggy was going to be Gogo, but the stories got broken up.

Gogo is, of course, famously androgynous. A neuter, blank character that can be anything.

Pay attention. See if you can follow me here:
In the older translations, Siegfried drops a Tintinabar in the coliseum. However, in later versions, (and likely more correctly) (s)he instead drops a Tintinabulum. The difference being one (bar) is a word meaning rather simply "ring" and the other (bulum) is an ancient Roman PHALLIC symbol with bells that was used to ward off the evil eye and which usually depicted a man with an over-sized penis. In many cases the man would be fighting with his raging penis.

SO, was Siegfried originally supposed to be this character that battles with his own gender-identity, eventually ending up as the neuter Gogo? Was he supposed to be an indictment against false "manliness," the vision of men as arrogant, bragging peacocks? Is it coincidence that the first time we meet him, it's while controlling three characters who are three unique versions of manliness: arrogant beefcake, gallant gentleman, strong&silent type??

Is it possible, even, that Siegfried might have found a way to split his personality into two people, one of each gender, and somehow Gogo was spawned as the leftover neutral shell? And if so, is the Siegfried at the coliseum the male version? And if so, where's the female version?

IS IT A COINCIDENCE THAT GOGO'S PALETTE CAN GO PINK IN THE DREAMSCAPE!?

PROBABLY! It's all probably coincidence. This isn't really a thing. It should be, but it isn't. Sadface.