PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to play this again soon

Pumpkin
09-08-2014, 04:40 AM
Any adviceses? Any missable things I should look out for? Any tips for smooth sailing?

I've played the game twice before but its been at least 5 years

Colonel Angus
09-08-2014, 04:56 AM
The basement of castle Val is a great place to get ABP. You can either use golden needles, Lvl 5 Death or Lightning Scrolls to kill the Objet D'Art [sic].

Movers in the last portion of the game give 199 ABP.

Dual Wield + !RapidFire = :jess:

Wolf Kanno
09-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Save Mastering Red Mage or Mime until Mirage Tower, you run into Magic Pots that give lots of ABP for elixers and there are enough of them to completely level one of the classes. Both classes have a skill that takes 999ABP to Master.

The summons are a bit tricky to get in this game because some have to be encountered as random encounters and others are found in secret passages in dungeons or towns so it's really easy to miss them.

If you're prone to running away alot, choose the Chicken Dagger, if you never run from battle choose the Brave Blade.

Have fun experimenting with all the classes they all have good strengths and weaknesses so play round and just have fun.

VeloZer0
09-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Make sure that you play every piano in the game.

And as WK said, there are miss-able summons.

Sephiroth
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Get Mighty Guard once you can fight a Stingray. You don't need to use the Control command, you just need to cast muddle until it works. Then just wait for the Stingray to use Mighty Guard on you. It might take a while though this way as it can hit itself. However, this way it is done fast and without a command of a job class that you probably do not use.

And use Time Mages, and White Mages and Summon Golem and Bahamut. Golem can be found on the Mountain where you have to fight the Dragon Grass in the Second World and Bahamut in the Reunion World on top of the Northern Mountain.

Mime and Bahamut or Meteor or Toss Gil or whatever can make you defeat the Final Boss very early.

And yes, get Odin and Carbuncle and Ramuh and Shiva and all the other stuff that is not that easily to get. But don't fight Shiva before fighting Ifrit.

Colonel Angus
09-09-2014, 01:46 AM
To add to :wcanoe:'s suggestion on waiting to master the Red Mage, you can get them to level 4, then wait until mirage tower. You can also use the mover trick in the final dungeon.

@ the last savepoint, save, then reset. Fight the first battle & win. The second battle will be against a set of movers. Beat them (try using attacks like Bahamut or $Toss that will attack them all @ once). Then save, reset & repeat. 199 ABP per mover battle.

It's easier to use !Control to get the Sting Rays to use Mighty Guard, which is the most valuable Blue Magic.

Also, have everyone learn "Learning" as soon as possible. They all don't have to learn it @ the same time, but it makes it easier if they all know it. Also, if you know where the monsters w/ Blue magic are, you can equip learning or change class to a blue mage when in that area. Don't do like I used to & keep Learning equipped @ all times, as it takes away an ability slot & some of the fun of the game.

Pumpkin
09-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Started this and just got the Canal Key.

I forgot what a charming little game it is :flirt:

Sephiroth
09-09-2014, 03:19 AM
It's easier to use !Control to get the Sting Rays to use Mighty Guard, which is the most valuable Blue Magic.

Get Mighty Guard once you can fight a Stingray. You don't need to use the Control command, you just need to cast muddle until it works. Then just wait for the Stingray to use Mighty Guard on you. It might take a while though this way as it can hit itself. However, this way it is done fast and without a command of a job class that you probably do not use.

I guess I have already explained well enough that exactly this is not necessary in case you do not use or do not want to use that job class at all so the question about it being easier is something completely different. It is not that bad to get it with a confused Stingray anyway. Eventually he uses it and then the rest of the time you end the battle with Meteor or something like that.

Colonel Angus
09-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Another ProTip: When you get to the Pyramid, make sure you either have a Bard or two, or even better, a job w/ high magic (Black Mage or Summoner) & the !Sing ability. The Requiem Song does wonders against most of the enemies here (FYI: the Lamias are also undead).

metagloria
09-10-2014, 04:07 AM
But don't fight Shiva before fighting Ifrit.

...eh? I didn't even know/think this was possible. Why wait?

Sephiroth
09-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Ifrit is in the library, Shiva can be reached through the waterway the first time you visit the castle. And she and her soldierettes will destroy you.

Mirage
09-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I would think it would be more exciting to find out that she was too strong first hand :p

metagloria
09-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Ifrit is in the library, Shiva can be reached through the waterway the first time you visit the castle. And she and her soldierettes will destroy you.

Yeah, I used to have a little trouble with that fight. Not lately though. As long as you're level 15 or so, you can power through.

Karifean
09-10-2014, 11:00 PM

Yeah, I used to have a little trouble with that fight. Not lately though. As long as you're level 15 or so, you can power through.

Level 15?? O.o

I fought her at Level 11 making heavy use of Goblin Punch. I know I didn't have Ifrit yet, but I didn't fight her at the first possible opportunity. Something was inbetween, I don't quite remember what.

Sephiroth
09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Lv 15 is like close to end of world 1 for me. Or at least really to the Library.

Colonel Angus
09-12-2014, 12:40 AM
In the basement of Walse Castle is a monster called the Jackanapes. You DO NOT want to fight this monster in the first world. However, you can evade it in the GBA version.

First, take about 5-6 steps. Quicksave. Reload & take another 5-6 steps. Quicksave. Rinse & Repeat. You'll be able to get the treasures (which includes the Time Magic spell OSpeed & the Elven Mantle) w/o any harm. Remember to not power down while quicksaving, or you'll lose your data.

metagloria
09-12-2014, 03:10 AM
End of world 1 is ~35 for me. Quadrharpies, man!

Sephiroth
09-12-2014, 01:00 PM
End of world 1 is ~35 for me. Quadrharpies, man!

That is a possible Final Boss level. I say it again, you are too fast.