PDA

View Full Version : Your Earliest Theater Experience(s)

Shorty
09-10-2014, 05:19 PM
I am sure that this is not the first thing I ever saw in a theater, but the earliest movie I remember going to was a re-release of A New Hope sometime in the early nineties, maybe between ages four and six. We didn't see movies in regular theaters very often because we were pretty poor when I was growing up, but we did go to the dollar theater at times for a family outing and during the summers out of school sometimes we would also go to Fifty-cent Tuesdays somewhat often. This theater is where we went to see A New Hope, and I also assume it was on a Tuesday.

I remember very little of the movie itself and don't think I was really old enough to understand it, but I think my dad wanted to show it to me anyway. It's possible I may have even fallen asleep.

I also remember going to an outdoor theater a bit when I was young but I don't remember what was on screen. I wish I could!

What is the earliest film you remember seeing in theaters and how was your experience?

Psychotic
09-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Possibly a re-release of the Jungle Book, or failing that Aladdin. I remember nothing at all! I remember Jurassic Park in 1994, as we were late and arrived just as the movie was starting (this is odd for my Dad. He wants to be there like an hour before!) and it was at a weird theatre with lights on the floors.

Shauna
09-10-2014, 05:48 PM
My earliest cinema memory is when I was expressly told I was not allowed to see Snow White because I was being a cheeky bugger (not much has changed lol) to my Mum. So, we were all down the town centre shopping, we went up to the cinema, said goodbye to my Dad and sister as they went to see Snow White and I was taken home to cry because I sincerely believed that my mother was just joshing with me, and I'd totes see the film. This was in 1993.

Other than that... possibly Shrek in 2001. No! Muppets from Space 1999.

Depression Moon
09-10-2014, 05:53 PM
The earliest one I remember seeing is Space Jam and that might've been the only one I ever saw in the theatres in my childhood. We were pretty broke back then.

Bubba
09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
The earliest one I remember is Look Who's Talking with John Travolta and the voice of Bruce Willis as Mikey.

I remember asking my Mum what the little tadpole things were at the start of the film. I don't remember what she said but she definitely avoided using the word 'sperm'.

Shorty
09-10-2014, 06:17 PM
My earliest cinema memory is when I was expressly told I was not allowed to see Snow White because I was being a cheeky bugger (not much has changed lol) to my Mum. So, we were all down the town centre shopping, we went up to the cinema, said goodbye to my Dad and sister as they went to see Snow White and I was taken home to cry because I sincerely believed that my mother was just joshing with me, and I'd totes see the film. This was in 1993.

Other than that... possibly Shrek in 2001. No! Muppets from Space 1999.

Ohh man, another memory that's jumping out at me is going to see Muppet Treasure Island! So that would have been 1996.

chionos
09-10-2014, 09:39 PM
My two earliest theater memories are The Rescuers Down Under (1990) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), both of which were really awesome to see on the big screen.

TRDU was especially gorgeous--bright, vibrant, expansive. The eagle scenes blew me away as a kid.

TMNT was the visual opposite of TRDU--dark, gritty, claustrophobic, badass.

I'd seen other movies in the theater before that, but they didn't leave an impression on me because I don't even remember what they were.

Both, in their own ways, made me fall in love with movies.

Wolf Kanno
09-10-2014, 10:01 PM
With the exception of Bubba and chionos, the rest of you are making me feel old...

The Land Before Time was probably the first movie I really remember seeing as a kid.

chionos
09-10-2014, 10:09 PM
With the exception of Bubba and chionos, the rest of you are making me feel old...

The Land Before Time was probably the first movie I really remember seeing as a kid.

*Official Member of EoFF's Geezer Club"

Sephex
09-11-2014, 12:37 AM
My first movie was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with my father. That's right, I got to see this scene on the big screen:

ADrojCw6amM

The second movie I saw was the first Tim Burton Batman movie. Again, it was just my father and I. We sat a lot closer to the screen for this movie, and I remember being very intimidated by the theater logo animation, which lasted 15-30 seconds or so. In my child's eye, the screen was enormous and I half covered my eyes. My dad saw this and began laughing. Despite the darker tone of Batman, I was fine throughout that.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-11-2014, 01:07 AM
After a lot of thought (and looking up dates), the earliest theater memory I have is going to see Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie in 1995. I know there are other movies before that, that's just the oldest movie I can for sure remember seeing in theaters. My first midnight premier was to see Star Wars: Episode 1 I think. I had trouble staying awake and fell asleep. After that I remember seeing Pokemon: The First Movie with my dad. I remember this just because he absolutely hated it, but I was so excited to get that Mew card and whatnot.

Edit: Oh, I guess my second memory would actually be seeing Batman and Robin in 1997. I probably was just trying to block out that memory though.

DMKA
09-11-2014, 01:10 AM
My first movie was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
Awesome, mine too.

Sephex
09-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Awesome, mine too.

OLD PEOPLE HIGH FIVE!!

*slap*

Colonel Angus
09-11-2014, 01:47 AM
I know one of my aunts took me to see The Karate Kid when that came out.

I remember seeing a lot of the old Disney movies when they were rereleased in theatres, like Dumbo, Bambi & Snow White.

I also remember seeing E.T. in the theatre, but that was a rerelease.

blackmage_nuke
09-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone is the earliest one I can definitely remember going to the Theater for but I'm sure there were some before then. Probably Disney but I cant remember which ones I saw in the theater and which ones I saw on VHS. Also possibly pokemon

Shiny
09-11-2014, 03:25 AM
The first film I saw in a theater (that I can recall) was Bambi I think when and then the second film was The Lion King. I hated Bambi because it was such a downer. The Lion King was also kind of a downer, but I loved it. The first time I asked to see a movie was Mortal Kombat and that was fun because my whole family went -- even my mom who had no interest in video games or movies about video games. She was like, "that was a good soundtrack." I also recall the first movie I saw in school that wasn't educational and it was The Goonies, then shortly after that E.T.

Vyk
09-11-2014, 03:26 AM

*Official Member of EoFF's Geezer Club"

Awesome, mine too.

OLD PEOPLE HIGH FIVE!!

*slap*

My Little Pony: The Movie is a 1986 animated feature film based on the Hasbro toy line, My Little Pony. It was released on June 20, 1986

My cousin took me and my sister

Eat that FiM, fans. Also all you little whipper-snappers who think you're old :P

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-11-2014, 03:30 AM
The earliest theater memory that comes to mind is going to see Casper. I don't remember being in the theater, I just remember being really excited about it afterwards. I don't think it was my first time but I can't remember anything earlier.

Sephex
09-11-2014, 03:31 AM
EDIT: Comment is directed at Vyk, didn't feel like quoting.

Well, we are the same age (looked at your profile and saw you are also 32), so you can high five me, as well. I just didn't go to a theater at a super early age because to this day my parent's aren't super big into going to a movie theater.

Shorty
09-11-2014, 03:34 AM
The first film I saw in a theater (that I can recall) was Bambi I think when and then the second film was The Lion King. I hated Bambi because it was such a downer. The Lion King was also kind of a downer, but I loved it. The first time I asked to see a movie was Mortal Kombat and that was fun because my whole family went -- even my mom who had no interest in video games or movies about video games. She was like, "that was a good soundtrack." I also recall the first movie I saw in school that wasn't educational and it was The Goonies, then shortly after that E.T.

heck yes it was a good soundtrack LONG LIVE KMFDM

Vyk
09-11-2014, 03:55 AM

Well, we are the same age (looked at your profile and saw you are also 32), so you can high five me, as well. I just didn't go to a theater at a super early age because to this day my parent's aren't super big into going to a movie theater.
I'm honestly surprised I can even remember bits and pieces. I was extremely young at the time. And though I know I also saw The Little Mermaid and The Land Before Time in theaters, I don't really recall those events. I have more early memories of them at home

But yeah, my parents were never really all that big on theaters either. Not entirely sure how or why I kept getting to go. Brothers and cousins I suppose. My mom took me to see Jurassic Park when it came out, which was super surprising. We were always kinda poor too. Which makes my experiences more surprising in retrospect. But yeah, high five for old people, definitely. I used to be super self-conscious about being so old here. But I've stopped caring, and noticed there's actually quite a few of us 30'somethings. Or those close enough to relate

Sephex
09-11-2014, 04:00 AM

I'm honestly surprised I can even remember bits and pieces. I was extremely young at the time. And though I know I also saw The Little Mermaid and The Land Before Time in theaters, I don't really recall those events. I have more early memories of them at home

But yeah, my parents were never really all that big on theaters either. Not entirely sure how or why I kept getting to go. Brothers and cousins I suppose. My mom took me to see Jurassic Park when it came out, which was super surprising. We were always kinda poor too. Which makes my experiences more surprising in retrospect. But yeah, high five for old people, definitely. I used to be super self-conscious about being so old here. But I've stopped caring, and noticed there's actually quite a few of us 30'somethings. Or those close enough to relate

I hear that. Some of my fondest memories was watching movies through VHS with my mom and dad when they were new to that format. Robocop, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and The Little Mermaid come to mind.

Also saw Jurassic Park in the theater, but I was with a cousin's family. I also went last year for the 20th anniversary release. I was in a theater packed with kids and it was AWESOME hearing them being absolutely terrified like people around our age back then.

chionos
09-11-2014, 06:18 AM
33, kids. 33. I can claim old age. It's all I have!

Yes, KMFDM FTMFW.

Spooniest
09-13-2014, 09:07 AM
I was taken to see Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in the theater as a kid. :D Was totally awesome, I remember liking the music.

theundeadhero
09-13-2014, 10:10 AM
My grandma took me to see a theater re-release of Snow White in the mid-80s. After that I remember seeing Honey I shrunk the Kids in the theater. There might be movies in-between there but I don't remember them.

Denmark
09-14-2014, 02:59 AM
i remember that this movie exists and i'm pretty sure i saw it but i remember zero things about it

i guess i was 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-Doodle

LocoColt04
09-14-2014, 05:52 AM
I had a loooot of Disney experiences via VHS. I know we went to the theater sometimes as kids, but I honestly can't remember anything on the silver screen prior to Toy Story. I'm positive that wasn't the first, but it's definitely the first I remember clearly.