PDA

View Full Version : A good belting

blackmage_nuke
09-12-2014, 02:18 AM
Do you put your belt through the belt loops going left or right?

Also say if you're left or right handed so we can see if there is a corelation

Im right handed and my belt goes through the left loop first

Colonel Angus
09-12-2014, 02:48 AM
I'm right handed, & I stick it in the right side.

Also, I think one of Squall's belts might be for his holster.

noxious.sunshine
09-12-2014, 04:21 AM
I'm a lefty. My belt goes through the left loops.

I Took the Red Pill
09-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Left-handed, through the right side.

Shorty
09-12-2014, 04:44 AM
I don't wear belts. But if I did, it would go through the right and loop coming out through the left. Also I am left-handed.

Ayen
09-12-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm a lefty. My belt goes through the left loops.

Same here on both fronts. Never really occurred to me to put it in through the right.

Left-handers unite!

Iceglow
09-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Ironically, I think that there is supposed to be some gender correlation to this. A bit like how men's shirts have buttons on the right and women's on the left and jeans/trousers etc.

A quick google search shows that I would be right in my suspicion. Apparently, Men would put their belt through the left belt loop first, fastening it from the right hand side. Women do it through the right and fasten from the left.

The actual reason for this however is about as dumb as it gets in modern society. It goes back to the Victorian age where frankly buttons on your clothing were a little fancy (for women at least) most clothing especially for the lower classes would be laced up or simply not have any fasteners. As men were seen to be highly independent and most people are right handed men's clothing was designed with the buttons on the right hand side to make it easier to do up. This is where the belt thing comes from too, it is easier to fasten the belt from the right hand side for right handed people. As women of the station where you would see a lot of belts, buttons and buckles in clothing were generally higher up, they often had servants or slaves to help them dress. The buttons/fasteners were put on the left to be more comfortable for the person doing the fastening not the wearing. This is why women would "traditionally" wear their belt through the right belt loop first and fasten it on the left.

Of course, times have moved on and the whole idea of why women's clothing still persists to have buttons on the left is peculiar as we don't have slaves or servants to dress women up now (unless you're a model in fashion season) which means that rightfully, it'd make more sense for women's clothing to have buttons on the right like men's clothing. However, I'm not going in to this issue because frankly I'll wind up with Miriel coming out of her Motherhood enforced semi-retirement to have a huge debate about feminism and what not which at 6am I could do without :P (love ya really Miriel, I just like messing with people1).

On a personal note, I've always been raised to wear my belt through my left because it's the "gender correct way" despite being a lefty.

As for the whole 2 belts thing, Squall's belts actually run the same way (which is gender specific to being a male) just that with the size and weight of a gunblade, you'd need at least 2 good belts to distribute the weight. He actually also wears technically 4 belts as neither of the red belts you see would actually hold his trousers up. So a third comes in to hold his trousers up and a 4th smaller belt is around his left thigh to hold spare ammo for the Revolver chamber.

Sephex
09-12-2014, 07:44 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/belto_zps6fb08900.gif

Old Manus
09-12-2014, 09:17 AM
came here for belto maxson, was not disappointed

Pike
09-12-2014, 10:19 AM
I see no poll option for "either way, it doesn't matter". Because really. It can go either way, it doesn't matter.

Shauna
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Usually send it through the right left loops. Not that I wear belts too often these days. :3

Oh, right handed. And I am good at L/R differentiation.

Psychotic
09-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I send 'er round to the right. Right handed.

blackmage_nuke
09-12-2014, 12:51 PM
I see no poll option for "either way, it doesn't matter". Because really. It can go either way, it doesn't matter.

What do you think this is? A Shion thread?

sharkythesharkdogg
09-12-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm right handed and use the left side belt loops around the the right.

It's just how I've always done it.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-12-2014, 03:05 PM
It depends on the belt.

If it is your normal belt with a normal buckle, it goes in the left so that the end flap points left.

If it is your standard two buckle belt, then it goes in the right so that the end flap points left.

Shorty
09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't know how to secure a two-buckler.

09-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm here for you flapjack

OcqjGl4QjVU

Bubba
09-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Im right handed and my belt goes through the left loop first

Some interesting belt facts...

-
-
-
-
-

Rantz
09-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Weird. Not until this day has it ever occurred to me that sticking it in the right side was a possibility! I do it on the left side, and I'm a righty.

Pheesh
09-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Weird. Not until this day has it ever occurred to me that sticking it in the right side was a possibility! I do it on the left side, and I'm a righty.

exactly what I came in here to say.

Bubba
09-12-2014, 07:47 PM
That's because it makes perfect sense.

Anyone who uses right hand to the right or left hand to the left... is just making things difficult for themselves.

LIFE IS SIMPLE, PEOPLE

1) fasten your belt correctly
2) play video games

Madame Adequate
09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Ironically, I think that there is supposed to be some gender correlation to this. A bit like how men's shirts have buttons on the right and women's on the left and jeans/trousers etc.

A quick google search shows that I would be right in my suspicion. Apparently, Men would put their belt through the left belt loop first, fastening it from the right hand side. Women do it through the right and fasten from the left.

The actual reason for this however is about as dumb as it gets in modern society. It goes back to the Victorian age where frankly buttons on your clothing were a little fancy (for women at least) most clothing especially for the lower classes would be laced up or simply not have any fasteners. As men were seen to be highly independent and most people are right handed men's clothing was designed with the buttons on the right hand side to make it easier to do up. This is where the belt thing comes from too, it is easier to fasten the belt from the right hand side for right handed people. As women of the station where you would see a lot of belts, buttons and buckles in clothing were generally higher up, they often had servants or slaves to help them dress. The buttons/fasteners were put on the left to be more comfortable for the person doing the fastening not the wearing. This is why women would "traditionally" wear their belt through the right belt loop first and fasten it on the left.

Of course, times have moved on and the whole idea of why women's clothing still persists to have buttons on the left is peculiar as we don't have slaves or servants to dress women up now (unless you're a model in fashion season) which means that rightfully, it'd make more sense for women's clothing to have buttons on the right like men's clothing. However, I'm not going in to this issue because frankly I'll wind up with Miriel coming out of her Motherhood enforced semi-retirement to have a huge debate about feminism and what not which at 6am I could do without :P (love ya really Miriel, I just like messing with people1).

On a personal note, I've always been raised to wear my belt through my left because it's the "gender correct way" despite being a lefty.

As for the whole 2 belts thing, Squall's belts actually run the same way (which is gender specific to being a male) just that with the size and weight of a gunblade, you'd need at least 2 good belts to distribute the weight. He actually also wears technically 4 belts as neither of the red belts you see would actually hold his trousers up. So a third comes in to hold his trousers up and a 4th smaller belt is around his left thigh to hold spare ammo for the Revolver chamber.

Reminder that Steve wrote this many words in response to the question "Which way do you put your belt on?"

Shiny
09-12-2014, 10:39 PM
My pants always fit my waist perfectly so need no for belts.

Pheesh
09-13-2014, 01:40 AM
I don't know about girls because I'm pretty sure Tara has some jeans that don't even have loops, but for a guy, wearing jeans or slacks without a belt looks blegh.

Colonel Angus
09-13-2014, 05:16 AM
I even wear a belt w/ sweatpants.

09-13-2014, 05:39 AM
My pants always fit my waist perfectly so need no for belts.

Oh my god. You don't wear a belt because pants don't fit. You should always buy pants that fit. You wear a belt because pants have belt loops.

Colonel Angus
09-13-2014, 08:44 AM
IDk what kind of waist/hips you have, plef, but pants, even when they fit, can use the support of a belt. They're not just accessories, but they're neccessories.

Spooniest
09-13-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm a righty, my belt goes to the right

As for Squall, BELTS

Now if you'll excuse me I'll get out of these wet things and into a BELT of scotch

fire_of_avalon
09-14-2014, 03:52 AM
When I was seventeen or so I totally used to wear criss crossed belts like Squall to look cool. I ain't even ashamed.

Raistlin
09-14-2014, 05:48 AM

Yeah, the people who do the same side are weird. Why would you rely on your off-hand to put your belt in? Freaks.

Colonel Angus
09-15-2014, 02:06 AM
I never realized it, but I may have been putting my belt on the wrong way the whole time.

Dat Matt
09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Right handed, belt feeds round via the left and out through the right. So when I unblucke, my left hand unbuckles and my right hand holds the belt.

I also thought this thread was about child abuse in the 1950s via the title.