PDA

View Full Version : When you perform music...

Spooniest
09-15-2014, 06:32 AM
For those of you who have at some point performed music in front of people.

(waits)

Ok, guys, do you think a person should just stand there playing music or should they move with the music a little?

I say, get moving! People like action when they have to watch things.

Aaaand go!

Bubba
09-15-2014, 08:44 AM
I agree that musicians should move around when playing as it makes it much more interesting to look at. I've never been very good at it though. I don't think I have a lot of stage presence. Obviously I am an awesome guitarist and singer... but you do need to have a little bit more about you than that to front a band.

Pheesh
09-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I move around like a crazy person, I was told on more than one occasion that I look like I dropped ecstasy before I went on stage. I don't mean to do it, it just happens.

As for whether people should do it, that really just depends. It is definitely more fun/interesting to look at in most cases, but that said some of my favourite musicians (Neil Peart, Mark Hosking) are incredibly stoic when they play and that's also cool in it's own way. Basically, if you are a good enough musician your playing will speak for itself.

Night Fury
09-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I think that yes, musicians should move around a bit.

They're playing music! music gets you moving and even if it's just that the drummer is really getting into what he's doing and headbanging away, or the guitarist is shaking his booty.... it shows you're really feeling it and into it.

It doesn't have to be a full on choreographed dance routine because sometimes that can take away a bit.. but yeah, moving around is all good!

Saying that, this is just a perfect performance and I don't think she moves much.

lWsO41YkYpY

Sephex
09-15-2014, 09:38 AM
When I played bass in my room at my parent's house back in the day I didn't move around too much.

My cats booed me and called me a pussy, snickering at their pun as they left.

Shiny
09-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Yes they should move. There's nothing worse on stage than someone who is obviously extremely scared and uncharismatic. When I go to see a live performance, I'm going for the visual experience. If I wanted to just listen to the music, I'd just listen to on iTunes or the CD.

arenzi
09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't like to move. It looks weird to me.

Shorty
09-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Yeah. I think that moving around kindof shows that you're into your music. But people who are all over the place are weird. Unless you are Karen O, she can do whatever the hell she wants.

Nate
09-16-2014, 05:28 PM
I was in marching band one of the last time I performed in public. If we didn't move, we'd get yelled at by the band director.

So aside from that silly response, if the music is one of the kind where moving is appropriate, it's okay. Some really encourage it, like jazz. Others, it seems up to the singer.

Dat Matt
09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
I used to play Drums and Piano, so moving around with those is hard.

AssassinDX
09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm into metal music, and I expect a lot of movement from those performing it.

I've only performed in front of an audience a handful of times, the first was singing with a friend for part of his music exam in school. I was absolutely terrified and probably looked a lot like this (http://www.frenchtoastsunday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/jim3.jpg).

A couple of years later the same friend and I put together a band, and we played a few times for friends at parties and suchlike. That was much more relaxed, and I had a blast jumping around. I did find out it is very difficult to move while trying to keep rhythm, remember what I'm playing at any given point and being very drunk by the end of it, we were probably awful but everyone seemingly had a good time or were too sloshed to care.

Mirage
09-17-2014, 02:04 AM
The only instrument I can play requires me to sit down, or so no moving around please.

Chris
09-17-2014, 08:42 AM
I stand completely still with my eyes closed when I sing. I don't wanna look at ugly faces, so they can distract me.

Shiny
09-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Yeah. I think that moving around kindof shows that you're into your music. But people who are all over the place are weird. Unless you are Karen O, she can do whatever the hell she wants.

Yassss, this is exactly who I was thinking of when I made my post. We're soul mates.

Mindflare
09-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I play the mandolin and it begs me to jump around, move around, and have fun with it. Lucky me, I don't perform much with it.

I like a high energy performance, but sitting down has its place too.