PDA

View Full Version : What was your first game?

Ayen
09-16-2014, 03:41 AM
What it says on the title. What was the first video game you ever played? How did you branch off from there? How old were you when you broke into gaming?

The first game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was the 1988 double cartridge that came with Duck Hunt, so that was my second game. I had a lot of fun with both, but I don't remember getting very far on either my first playthrough. I think I was about 3 or 4 at the time. From there I played other games in my brother's library: Karate Champ, JAWS, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Uncanny X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. Nintendo was a pretty big part of my childhood followed up by Sega and PlayStation.

I need to review more Nintendo stuff.

Colonel Angus
09-16-2014, 03:49 AM
Pac-Man on the Atari 5200. I wish I still had that system, but I doubt it would work today.

Psychotic
09-16-2014, 05:50 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_%28video_game%29

Thanks everybody!

Wolf Kanno
09-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Either Super Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong I can't really remember.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
I have absolutely no idea. For me this question is akin to asking what is the first movie you saw, song you heard, tv show you watched, book you read, etc. Videogames have always been there and I have always played them. I can make the educated guess that it was something for the Atari or Commodore 64. Which version of the Atari or which game would largely be up to my parents recollection and they don't remember that stuff. They didn't keep the Atari and I only have some vague memory of it and I played the C64 for years.

I imagine that people about a decade or so younger than I view this question in the same way I do. Being around videogames and computers is just an ubiquitous part of life (even more so for kids growing up today) and I had that same feeling growing up. Always had a computer and videogames around. I am 32 which makes me somewhat different as that was definitely not the norm in the early to mid 80s.

Bubba
09-16-2014, 08:41 AM
It would have been a game on my ZX Spectrum back in the eighties. The first one I properly remember playing on that was Chuckie Egg. I wasn't particularly adept at playing it, especially using a keyboard. It still provided hours of fun though. I think I got up to level 33 at one point and I was proper chuffed.

59605 59606

Night Fury
09-16-2014, 08:58 AM
I think it might have been Quake for PS1!

Bubba
09-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I think it might have been Quake for PS1!

Aww man, that makes me feel old.

Pike
09-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I have absolutely no idea. For me this question is akin to asking what is the first movie you saw, song you heard, tv show you watched, book you read, etc. Videogames have always been there and I have always played them. I can make the educated guess that it was something for the Atari or Commodore 64.

All of this 100%, except I'm reasonably certain it was on the Commodore 64 for me.

Whenever I am asked this question I always feel at a loss for how people could possibly remember their first video game. It's like asking "What was your first sentient thought" or something. Video games are like breathing; always been there. I've always been playing them, since long before I could even form memories. I used to think everyone felt this way but it seems as though most people can indeed remember their first so I guess I'm just a turbonerd :monster:

NeoCracker
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
My earliest memory of life is Super Mario World. That is the moment my life begun.

I don't know if I'd played a game prior to that though. :p

arenzi
09-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Super Mario Bros. Played it as part of the All Stars game that came with the SNES, which was my first system.

escobert
09-16-2014, 02:26 PM
The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania Simons Quest or Tecmo Bowl. Those were the three games my dad had with his NES when I was a child so it was one of those 3!

metagloria
09-16-2014, 04:45 PM
My parents bought an NES when I was 4, so it was Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for me. Got FF1 later that year; I know there were other games in between, but I can't remember which ones. I also remember playing a lot of Donkey Kong Jr. when my friend came over and brought it.

Shorty
09-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Ah, I'm not too entirely sure. Possibly and potentially The Journeyman Project, that little skiing/abominable snowman monster game, or Pac-Man. I also remember playing a lot of Jack Nicklaus golf, and I hated the game so badly but I wanted to get a good score, goddamn it :argh: Whatever my first was, it was a PC game for Windows 95 and I was six.

Dat Matt
09-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Super Mario World. It came out when I was 2 or 3, so is the last game I remember playing. We stuck with Nintendo until the PS2, but I tried to stick with Nintendo.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Part of me wants to say Galaga or Pacman just because my mom was obsessed with those. I wouldn't be surprised if I started out with some arcade classic like those.

However, my family has always had a good number of consoles. When I was 1 or 2 years old, we had an Atari 7800, NES, Genesis, Turbografx-16, SNES... I think that's it. I played all of those systems all the time.

Old Manus
09-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I think it might have been Outrun on my parents' Amiga 500. Either that or Stuntcar Racer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn32IgQGrOQ). The first game I actually owned and played was the majestic V-Rally on the PS1.

AssassinDX
09-16-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't remember exactly, all I know is that it was on my dads BBC Micro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro) computer and was one of either Revs, Spooky Manor or most likely Dogfight, which was a two player game which we often played together when I was 7 or 8.

Simple enough, but an awesome little game.

Shauna
09-16-2014, 07:48 PM
It was this game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29) on our ol' computer. It was pretty fun, although I don't think I really got what I was doing.

Ayen
09-16-2014, 08:33 PM
It was this game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29) on our ol' computer. It was pretty fun, although I don't think I really got what I was doing.

I used to have this game on the old computer along with Snakes. I loved this game! <3 Used to play it with my dad.

Pumpkin
09-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Tekken 2. I was 4 or 5

escobert
09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
The first game I ever personally owned was FFVII. Then later that same Christmas I got NBA live 97, Madden 98 and Metal Gear Solid.

AaronSOLDIER
09-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive.

Slothy
09-17-2014, 12:13 AM
This question is pretty simple for a first born child of the 80's who's parents didn't play games to remember. Super Mario Bros. of course.

Sephex
09-17-2014, 01:29 AM
I have absolutely no idea. For me this question is akin to asking what is the first movie you saw, song you heard, tv show you watched, book you read, etc. Videogames have always been there and I have always played them. I can make the educated guess that it was something for the Atari or Commodore 64.

All of this 100%, except I'm reasonably certain it was on the Commodore 64 for me.

Whenever I am asked this question I always feel at a loss for how people could possibly remember their first video game. It's like asking "What was your first sentient thought" or something. Video games are like breathing; always been there. I've always been playing them, since long before I could even form memories. I used to think everyone felt this way but it seems as though most people can indeed remember their first so I guess I'm just a turbonerd :monster:

Lump me in the "I have no idea" category.

For me, it was very old PC games. I am talking about before Window OS were common on PCs. My grandma on my mom's side was really into computers (she was a younger than average Grandma being in her 40s back then). She liked video games, and as a result I played them when I went to work with her and my mom (they worked at the same place for a time). This was before I ever set foot inside any kind of school. Besides a game called Rockford, I don't remember what else I played title wise besides a education math game. My grandma did have some sort of adventure game on her home PC (sort of like Space Quest or King's Quest) that were based off of old nursery rhymes.

My family would also get an ancient PC that ran some old games, as well. It is weird to think this was in the days when a monitor would take a good half a minute to brighten all the way and the computer didn't even have a mouse. Just some weird command screen before going to DOS.

Colonel Angus
09-17-2014, 02:29 AM
Man, Sephex, your post reminded me of Computer Lab in grade school. Pre-Windows OS, no mouse. We use to have to have a password to play the games. But there were a ton, Gauntlet, PaperBoy, Carmen San Diego, Oregon Trail & Clam Bake (Pac-Man rip-off) to name a few.

Sephex
09-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Man, Sephex, your post reminded me of Computer Lab in grade school. Pre-Windows OS, no mouse. We use to have to have a password to play the games. But there were a ton, Gauntlet, PaperBoy, Carmen San Diego, Oregon Trail & Clam Bake (Pac-Man rip-off) to name a few.

Everyone at my school was mad at me because I had Carmen San Diego at home.

Pike
09-17-2014, 10:32 AM
When I was in school all the classrooms had these IBMs with monitors that had one color and one color only: green.

I played all sorts of games on those, including but not limited to:

Word Munchers/Number Munchers
Oregon Trail
Murphy's Minerals
Odell Lake
Some great game about bugs and genetics whose name I don't remember

And so forth. It was friggin great.

When I was in fifth grade they got some sort of early Mac computers and these monitors had COLOR GRAPHICS! And also a MOUSE! We messed around in KidPix all day every day. In fact one of our school assignments was to make a slideshow in KidPix. :aimsun:

Vyk
09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
My parents were pretty outdated, so I didn't grow up with video games out of the womb. Whether this is fortunate or not, I don't know, but I do know, because of this, specifically the first game I played

In '88 my brother came home with an NES and a bunch of games. You'd think Mario or Dunk Hunt would be my first venture. But nope. When I walked into the room, he was playing Cobra Command. A simple helicopter shooter thing. I think it left more of an impression on me than Mario, because I played a lot more of that game. Until we acquired Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior anyway

The Man
09-17-2014, 09:42 PM
The first video game I remember playing is Super Mario Bros. That doesn't necessarily mean that it was the first game I played, though, because I grew up in a tech-savvy household so it's entirely possible that I played something else before it.

Bolivar
09-18-2014, 12:36 AM
My early childhood coincided with the rise of the NES so it would be hard not to remember the big pop culture blockbusters of the era. My family also only had a handful of games so it's not hard to keep track. I always say my first game was Super Mario Bros. but it also might've been RBI Baseball, Tetris, or Tiger Heli.

Sir Lancealot
09-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Dune 2 or Civ 2.

DMKA
09-20-2014, 03:26 AM
It was either Frogger or PacMan for the Atari 2600.

Vermachtnis
09-20-2014, 05:21 AM
It was either Mega Man 4 or R.C. Pro-Am.

Markus. D
09-22-2014, 09:44 PM
it was either maze craze, mario bros or addams family for SNES. <:

Uchu
09-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Sonic The Hedgehog! Will never forget that day.