PDA

View Full Version : Quetions~

Pumpkin
09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
I have never played an MMO, so forgive my ignorance

If I were to get this game, the cost is about $15/month, correct? And I can play it on the PS3?

Also, I've heard MMO's favor groups, so if I wanted to be an lonely loser, would the game be less fun or more difficult?

chionos
09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
There are ways to make the loner thing work. ARR isn't early years FFXI, in which, if you didn't have 5 other people, you weren't doing trout.

The thing is, why would you play an MMO, especially one like FFXIV, and not play with other people, especially since you could play with people you know from EoFF? It's definitely more fun with other people, but it's not impossible to be a loner. It's just there would be a lot of content you couldn't do without hooking up with others.

You can play it on the ps3. And it's cross-platform, so no downside.

I've been on the verge of playing for some time now, just been to busy to get going. I may get my trout together tonight and get on.

You should too, shi!

Mirage
09-16-2014, 11:58 PM
The way I see it, there are three reasons for playing an MMO RPG rather than just a regular single player RPG:

1. You like to play with other humans
2. you like to show off to others with your super awesome turbocharged character
3. You like complex, dynamic economic systems that can only be created by having thousands of people taking part of it

If you don't care about either of those, there's really not much for you to gain from playing an MMO, in my opinion. You should be able to find most things you enjoy in offline games.

Jessweeee♪
09-17-2014, 06:13 AM
You're gonna have to team up with people to complete story and do a lot of other things, idk if you're gonna get much out of game going 100% solo. You don't, however, have to make your own network of friends or join up with a Free Company/Linkshell to complete tasks that require a party. FATEs, for example, just happen on the map sort of randomly and if you go to them a bunch of people will usually be there already whacking at it and you can just jump right in without forming a party. Some of them you can solo if you're resourceful enough. Story events and much of the end-game content requiring a party can be accessed through something called the Duty Finder. You use the Duty Finder to pick out a quest and it selects other people queuing for that quest to be in a party with you. You pretty much have to play with other people if you wanna do anything besides crafting classes, but you don't have to talk to anyone to do it :p

Night Fury
09-17-2014, 06:38 AM
You can run this game alone, yes.

However, the benefits of being part of an FC (Free Company) far outweigh the benefits of not. For a start you have access to company housing (if your company has one) with a shop and mender. You can also have access to the chocobo stable which is really important now for training and colouring your chocobo. You have lots of other people who will help you out by crafting things for you, running a dungeon with you, giving you advice on something game related. I didn't use the FC much and was very 'solo' until I got my first dungeon. I had the FC run me through it, and after that I felt confident enough to do the rest with randoms through Duty Finder as mentioned by Jess.

Having friends on this game definitely gives you an advantage. I've had loads of gear and materials just given to me by different pals who just want to help me out.

Also, depending on what class you choose, having friends will benefit you. To run dungeons as a DPS (damage dealer class... so, for e.g Arcanist, Archer, Thaumaturge) be prepared to wait a LONG time in queues for the dungeon and guildhest. However, if you have a pal who's a Tank or Healer class.... you're pretty much gonna get in straight away if you party up with them.

I'm not sure how much it is in dollars per month... But what you can also do is buy a few time cards and load the credit on all at once. That's what I do! And also when you subscribe each time, you get bonus days too sometimes, and you also get awesome goodies!

If you do decide to buy and play this, please let me know in advance and I will send you my Recruit a Friend code. This means that you and I will share some goodies. I'll get a 2 seater Chocobo and you'll get the Friendship Circlet accessory which gives you heaps more experience for faster leveling early on.

I would not suggest you buy this game though if you don't want to hang out with folks in it.

Also, if you don't play with friends you don't get to be part of really weird stuff like this.

I still don't know what was going on.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-17-2014, 08:40 AM
You get 30 days free when you purchase the game, so I would definitely encourage you to at least try it out. Get a feel for it. When you join, the first thing you should do to help ease your way into the game is get in touch with the Fat Chocobos so you can have a chat full of your EoFF friends. It'll help the environment feel less foreign.

I'm sure the world of an MMO can seem overwhelming, but I can tell you from personal experience that it's totally worth it. My fondest memories of this game, aside from the great story and music, are the interactions I've had with members of our Free Company.

We spend a lot of time here talking with other Final Fantasy fans about the games, so to be able to party up with them in real time and actually play a game with them is really exciting!

Night Fury
09-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Remember naked photobomber ahahha and that Ochu that kept kicking our ass ahahahaha

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Pumpkin
09-17-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't have many friends though but I am interested in playing and if the price is correct than its more affordable than I thought. There seem to be a whole bunch of different ones under their product information which is a bit confusing. Do I just buy the standard one? It says something about max character per server or something which I don't really understand?

If I did get it, any tips about gameplay and stuff?

Jessweeee♪
09-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Yeah I think there's something like an option to pay a lower fee but you only get one character. And you only need one character to do all of the classes, changing jobs is as easy as changing weapons. Most people don't have alt characters. And you'll get a potion that will let you change your character's race/sex/appearance after being subbed for a month if you decide you want to change c:

chionos
09-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Well Shi, pressure's on. I just downloaded, getting all set up now. Although, just realized I have a SE token thingy from FFXI and I have NO IDEA where it is. I don't know how I'm going to get logged in. >_< bummer.

edit: nvm, found the token. Woot! BUT, when I tried to login I found that my account's suspended for "recent suspicious activity." Isn't this why I bought the damned token in the first place? I'm not getting the emails from SE to reset it, either, so nevermind shi, you've got some time before you're REQUIRED to play.

ps edit: fixed! sorry to hijack, just excited. :)

Pumpkin
09-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Might be getting this soon. Talked to sharky and he said he will buy it if I pay the monthly fee

Mirage
09-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Just FYI, you two can't play together with just a single account. You can take turns playing, but not play at the same time together.

Pumpkin
09-17-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't think he's interested anyway :P

chionos
09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Oh just wait! He'll see you playing and then want to play himself.

Not play with himself, mind you. He'll want to play the game, too.

Be prepared for updates. You want to get going as soon as possible, yo. I've been updating for hours now.

That's probably a good thing, though. I have responsible adult things I need to be doing right now. :)

Also bought Destiny, so the rest of my 2014 freetime is covered I think. Good times.

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 02:12 AM
I got the game and it said I didn't have enough space. So I wanted to get more space but it wouldn't let me exit and its now installing anyway? I hope this doesn't cause problems when its done installing in like 12~ hours

chionos
09-18-2014, 02:49 AM
It shouldn't cause a problem, but it'd be best if you cancel out, and go make sure you have room. I had to make a little space, too.

It's worth it in the end!

But my goodness, I feel lost. It's been too long, I don't remember a damn thing.

Night Fury
09-18-2014, 03:27 AM
Shion before you make you SE account I can give you the promo code

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 03:28 AM
Oh sorry I forgot and already made an account :<

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 05:40 AM
So umm I was down to 17 minutes and my Internet cut out for about 3 seconds and now I GET TO START ALL OVER AT SEVERAL HOURS AGAIN YAY

chionos
09-18-2014, 06:47 AM
So umm I was down to 17 minutes and my Internet cut out for about 3 seconds and now I GET TO START ALL OVER AT SEVERAL HOURS AGAIN YAY

Shouldn't have to redownload the whole thing. It'll look like it's downloading the whole thing but "skip" over what you've already downloaded. It takes a little bit to "check" the already downloaded files, but it's a much shorter time than the full download. At least, this is what happened in my experience. Same thing happened to me, basically.

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 07:22 AM
I got it downloaded :D

I have a character now yay excitement! I have no idea what I'm doing but I went in the sargatanas(?) server thingy because I *think* that's where EoFF members go

I don't know how the rest works but I just did some tutorial stuff and signed up for the guild thing and now its 2:30 am and I am sleepies so I will try more tomorrow

Night Fury
09-18-2014, 07:30 AM
What class are you? I'll weave you up some swagalicious stuff like I did for Chio! :) Oh, and whats your name?

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 04:11 PM
I am an Archer and my name is October Spice! And thank you that's very kind

Ohmygosh I can make 8 characters waaaaat :omgomg:

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 08:19 PM
I made a second super adorable character for the other job I was debating using. So excite!

I am not very far with my other one. Only level 7 or so. But is fun so far

chionos
09-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Get in the Linkshell and Freecompany, yo! I know you don't really know what that means, but just read the stickied Fat Chocobos thread and do what it says. Locky has stuffz for yu!

Jessweeee♪
09-18-2014, 11:49 PM
I made a second super adorable character for the other job I was debating using. So excite!

I am not very far with my other one. Only level 7 or so. But is fun so far

Just FYI you can do every class with just one character. All you need to play a new class is to equip a level 1 weapon, which you can obtain by going to that class's guild. There's no penalty for switching. But alts can be fun too, so do it however you like best c:

Night Fury
09-19-2014, 03:34 AM
Yeah once you hit level 15 and complete the level 15 quest, you can travel across to Ul'Dah and Limsa Lominsa and can choose a new class at any time, really, with a single character!

I started out as a Conjurer and once I reached level 30, I had to play as an Arcanist to unlock White Mage. I ended up enjoying Arcanist a lot more so I then took Arcanist/Scholar to level 50.

Pumpkin
09-19-2014, 04:57 PM
I know but so far I enjoy having 3 different characters. I like them all in their own way :flirt:

Sharky also made one but he hasn't played much so he doesn't know if he likes the game yet

jlenoconel
09-20-2014, 01:45 PM
I've only ever had one character in the months I've played this game lol.