PDA

View Full Version : ToriJ's Video Game Ideas

Ayen
09-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Hi. I'm making this thread to share concepts for video games I have with you all. I'd also like to open up a dialog about what kind of things you look for in games, if anything. If it's a matter of not knowing you wanted it until you played it, then what are some games that blew you away when you played them that you'd like to see more of? I'll start this off with a survival horror game I've been working on.

Name: Tori's Investigations
Genre: Survival Horror
Mode: Single Player
Platforms: Microsoft Windows
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
Xbox 360
Xbox One
ESRB Rating: M
Engine: Ovega Game Engine
Developer: Ovega Gaming
Publisher: Ovega Gaming
Distribution: Optical disc, download

Description: Tori's Investigations stars a private investigator who deals in paranormal activity in the small mountain town of Moon Valley. Use your wits to battle against ghosts, zombies, vampires, werewolves, and demons. Solve the mysteries surrounding these strange supernatural occurrences before the city is plunged into chaos.

There would be five mysteries overall, each mystery dedicated to the supernatural entity I listed above. The first stage would take place in your traditional haunted house scenario. Since Tori is an investigator she would use gadgets, scanners, and cameras to track the ghost. There will be absolutely no weapons or means to fight any of the enemies in the game, hence having to use your wits. The ghost in the first stage would be able to manipulate the house to his will. Meaning that he could change the entire layout of the room to trap you, each trap acting like a puzzle you have to solve before the ghost gets to you. If the ghost manages to possess you the game is over. In order to defeat the ghost you need to discover who he is and where he was buried then dig up his bones and destroy them Supernatural style.

The second stage would be about a necromancer (which is revealed later) who raised the dead from the local cemetery to attack the town. They're bent entirely to the will of the necromancer, so in order to defeat them you have to take out the necromancer. Stealth elements would come into play this time around because you're not going to be able to take on a herd of zombies on your own. You can also set up booby traps in order to capture them. I admit I got that idea from Skyblade in one of the threads here. Once again, cleverly using your resources is how you're going to overcome this obstacle.

The third stage will cover vampires. I'm thinking of doing the old school “Kill the original vampire and the rest will turn back to normal” format for them. So you have to find out who the original vampire is. Many of the vampires who will be hunting you are townspeople recently turned, so you want to AVOID killing them at all cost. Vampires are natural born (or dead in this case) hunters. I'm not sure how I would implement it yet, but you'd need a way to mask your scent, otherwise sneaking by them isn't going to mean a damn. They'd just sniff you out, and once they identify your scent they'd be able to track you down with ease. Vampires are strong, fast, and have a high pain tolerance, they catch you, you're dead.

The fourth stage may be tricky because I don't want to be accused of ripping off The Wolf Among Us, but it's basically set in the premise of a werewolf being in town attacking people in the forest so you need to find out who it is and stop them. The best way to track him is doing the day, because once the full moon is up and the werewolf gets you he's going to tear you apart. This may be the only stage with a time limit, since the full moon last three days in a row, if you don't solve the mystery by the time the full moon cycle you're going to lose him and it will be game over. By day you track him down and by night you fortify yourself to keep the werewolf out.

The fifth and final stage will be when the demon comes in. It will be discovered that the city is connected to a hell dimension, which is the reason so many paranormal beings are attracted to it. Cue me paying Joss Whedon royalties. In the last stage someone opens the seal releasing a fire demon into the city. The objective would be to find the seal and close it before the demon kills you. All throughout the stage the demon is going to try to corner you and touch you. If he manages to touch you even once you'll instantly light up and burn you to death.

Obviously this isn't the most original idea ever, but I work under the assumption that everything has been done so it all lies in execution. I'd be interested in hearing if this is a game you'd be interested in playing. A common complaint I see when it comes to the genre is that survival horror games lean too much on shooting your way through the monsters, which is why I focus a lot more on using gadgets and wits to overcome the obstacles in the game. Realistically, if you were dealing with supernatural forces, you're not going to go in guns blazing. The supernatural have the advantage over you, so the best way of survival is using your head. But I'm just an amateur when it comes to horror, so I'd love to hear what people here find legitimately scary to improve the idea, if possible.

Discuss.

Shlup
09-17-2014, 11:02 PM
That sounds neat. Not really my genre, but I like the elements you added to it. Though game design is really less about concept and more about actual gameplay, I think.