PDA

View Full Version : DIY - comfy DS stylus

Dr Unne
09-17-2014, 10:50 PM
The stylus that comes with the DS/3DS is meant for the hands of a 6-year-old. Luckily it's quite easy to make your own stylus.

1) Get a pen with a comfy grip. Pictured is a Signo 207 Premier Unibal pen (http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Roller-Silver-Barrel-Medium/dp/B001AHBF1A), which has the squishiest gel grip I could find. I've made these with smaller / cheaper pens too though.

2) Take the pen apart and put the ink cartridge and spring aside. You can use the ink as a future refill for your other pens.

3) Get a spare DS stylus. The DS usually comes with an extra one. Using a pocket knife, whittle down your DS stylus until it fits into the pen casing. Important things to remember:
a. The tip of the stylus needs to skinny enough to stick through the pen tip.
b. The length of the stylus needs to be long enough to keep the stylus from being pushed up into the back of the pen casing when you press down. If you cut the stylus too short, you can stuff paper or something else into the back of the pen to pad it out though.
c. The whole thing needs to retain enough structural integrity not to snap off at the end. So don't be overzealous.
d. It doesn't have to be pretty, but try to keep it roughly even so the stylus doesn't stick out of the end crooked.

4) Optional: Chop off extra parts of the pen casing, like that annoying clip at the top.

5) Enjoy not having your hands crippled after playing Theatrhythm for 4 hours.

Shlup
09-17-2014, 11:03 PM
This... this is smart. Now build a holster to attach to your DS!

Fynn
09-22-2014, 07:21 AM
The execution is very nice, but I'd disagree with your statement that it's such a pain to use the regular style. I'm a man with pretty huge hands, but the stylus was always comfortable to use for me (though maybe that's jus because my fingers are pretty nimble, as I used to be a pianist) :monster: Nevertheless, I hope someone who has experienced discomfort can get more fun out of a game using this.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-25-2014, 02:47 AM
DIY projects are always fun and satisfying. This is clever and useful, so nice work!