PDA

View Full Version : Replaying FFXII

Ayen
09-18-2014, 07:32 AM
I started replaying this game today. I'm currently at Barheim Passage where you're dealing with the stupid Battery Mimics so you can keep the power on. Basch died like a bitch and it was just me, Balthier, and Fran until we all died horribly. Balthier and Ashe are hands down my favorite characters at this point. I was annoyed when Ashe is just a guest in your party. I WANT TO PLAY AS ASHE!

I'm enjoying the game for the most part, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it even more whenever I get this smurfing Gambit system down. I can definitely see why this game is frequently compared with Star Wars. I haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing yet. Vaan hasn't come across the least bit irritating to me, but it's still early.

Feel free to share tips and your experience the last time you replay the game, or your experiences if you're replaying it at this very moment.

Discuss.

Karifean
09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm always overleveled when I play this game because I like exploring all areas and doing all Mark Hunts ASAP, amassing EXP, LP and Gil as a side effect. I haven't played regular FF XII in a long time, but I remember Cure/Fire/Ice/Thunder not being multitarget. How annoying.

Do you know about the Zodiac Spear thing? If not, don't worry about it. It's not worth restarting for.

Pumpkin
09-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Fun game!

I always plan out my abilities and stuff beforehand so I don't waste points. Explore a lot. Also, money is a female dog in this game so you might want to pick and choose what you buy

Fynn
09-18-2014, 09:44 PM
It is a good idea to think about the roles you want your characters to be in battle - like shion said, this lets you spend LP more effectively, as well as proper gambits.

Ayen
09-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Do you know about the Zodiac Spear thing? If not, don't worry about it. It's not worth restarting for.

Don't care enough to get it.

What is this game's glitch about curing silence? I used every item and spell I could get my hands on to cure it and they all keep missing.

Edit: Oh, Manufactured Nethicite was causing it.

Ayen
09-20-2014, 09:58 AM
After visiting Eruyt Village I'm starting to see why Fran is such a fan favorite. She was kind of in the background and didn't say much when compared to her partner who has a lot more stage presence since first appearing. The speech to her sister was a real tear jerker then Vaan asking how old she was and everyone's reactions were priceless :lol:

I'm starting to see why Vaan gets flak for not being very tied to the plot. I mean, he's connected through what happened to his brother, but the farther you go he feels more and more like a supporting character than the main protagonist. Except for moments that focus on him again like the game just went, "Oh crap, Vaan needs to do something." Playing as Ashe flows better for me.

Add Larsa and Penelo to my favorites list. Penelo was a favorite from the beginning, I just forgot to mention her before. Larsa won me over with this: "I will heed your counsel. I will no longer travel unaccompanied." *takes off with Penelo* Yeah, I know I got the quote wrong. I can't remember the Judge's name.

I'm really starting to like Vayne as a villain too and hope I get a chance to smash his face in.

Despite several things feeling like a Star Wars rip off I'm immensely enjoying the story and characters. Currently at Mosphoran Highwaste on my way to Archades. Expect this to get ranked higher on my FF favorites list. Game doesn't deserve to be put right above XIII at the bottom.

Pumpkin
09-20-2014, 02:19 PM
You're making me want to play XII gain, darn you :argh:

Ergroilnin
09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Im waiting for Vita HD IZJS for my second playthrough. Come on it has to happen with the sales FFX HD got.

Edge7
09-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Yeah, Vaan is definitely better as a supporting character than the protagonist. In his own right, he's a fine character, but then the game has to try to assert his relevance.

I've said this already, but I do think Final Fantasy XII is a [very] flawed masterpiece. It suffers from borrrowing Star Wars plot elements, but it also does really well in its villains and supporting cast (I love Al Cid and Ondore), and the world itself is wonderful.

Forsaken Lover
09-21-2014, 02:09 AM
You listened to Ondore's lies, didn't you?

Ayen
09-21-2014, 09:49 AM
You're making me want to play XII gain, darn you :argh:

Good :stare:

I just stopped at Pharos First Ascent for the night. Upon learning it was another tedious dungeon and a long one at that I just needed to call it a day. I hated the Giruvegan dungeons so damn much. It's like the developers just looked at each other and went, "Let's smurf with the player and make the most tedious dungeons ever created by man." And voila.

The stuff with the Occuria was unexpected. I knew the stuff with Venat was leading somewhere, but I wasn't expecting that. Already I don't trust them, but that's probably just because from my experience when Final Fantasy introduces anything like gods it always lead to something bad.

I'm so close to the end I can practically taste it.

Ayen
09-22-2014, 04:56 AM
Sorry for double posting again, I just wanted to say game, set, match :cool:

For as much as I criticize it for ripping off Star Wars that final battle was smurfing fantastic. All the Sith/Darth Vader stuff with Gabranth, not so much. But eeh, I'm willing to look pass that. Kicking Vayne's ass was as satisfying as I thought it'd be. Balthier knows how to end a game.

Balthier: I'm the leading man. Don't you know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.
Fran: I think you're more of a support role.
Balthier: Fran, please.

Don't let Ned hear you.

Final Fantasy XII becomes the third Final Fantasy I completed. I should probably get started on writing this review now.