PDA

View Full Version : Chasm alpha/early access available

Vyk
09-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Not sure if anyone is interested in metroidvanias anymore, but it does have extremely well done pixel art as a bonus. Anyway, I had helped Kickstart this game, so I was given alpha-testing access. But I believe you can also be a "slacker-backer" and dig in now and gain alpha access as well. I've already chugged in 3 hours, visited 3 areas, and beat 2 bosses. So it's a pretty fleshed out alpha. Hell I'm not positive they haven't tried to put in the whole game in glitchy alpha access (I only came across a couple glitches, notable, but nothing I'd write home about)

http://www.chasmgame.com/

If anyone is interested, as a backer and a fan, I think I'd like to see the game get more love. Also the world needs more metroidvanias. And anyone whose a fan of that style is probably on the look-out for them anyway. So here you go. Do with it what you will :3

Dr Unne
09-22-2014, 05:53 AM
I kickstarted this the second I saw it. It was the easiest kickstart decision ever. I've been playing the alpha for a couple days too, and it's awesome. I love the genre, and I love what they're doing with it. It's Metroid x Symphony of the Night x Dark Souls, all procedurally generated. Pretty much a dream come true. This game is what I was hoping for from Rogue Legacy. Not that RL wasn't a fun game too, it was, but for Chasm they figured out how to keep the randomly-generated levels while making it feel hand-crafted and well-paced. Also no grinding, that's nice.

The full game isn't going to be out for a while. I think they still have a few levels to complete. But you can tell the meat of the game is already there. They're also pushing out patches like crazy for the alpha.

Here's an hour-long interview with the devs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvdr3voZlsc They talk about how the game has evolved since the kickstarter, which I thought was interesting.

Nicolas
09-22-2014, 06:09 AM
Nice. I completely forgot the alpha was released. Thank you for the reminder. Definitely a fan of the genre and looking forward to finally getting a chance to play some of this.

Vyk
09-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Ah sweet, I'm not alone. Hurrah. Apparently I just got one of the patches last night or today, 'cause mine went from 0.4 to 0.41 and my progress was gone. Which is fine, I can tell some of the changes already. It loads up a lot better for me now, the sword swing animation seems faster, and they moved the first bottle you can get. Might wait a day or so now though to put another few hours in restarting as I do kinda miss the abilities I'd built up lol But even if I decided to just wait until the release now, the 3 hours I put in were fantastic. The bosses seemed just hard enough to be intimidating, almost dreading rematches when I'd die. But certainly not impossible. The rest of the difficulty is perfect so far

Dr Unne
09-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Patch 0.41 also added more campfires, which was a welcome change. I think they're still balancing all of the weapons. The faster sword animation is nice. Kickstarter email #16 had instructions on how to gain access to the Alpha forums, if you haven't already. There's a full changelog posted there, and you can report bugs and give feedback.

This game is meant to be replayed over and over, so I don't mind save files being eaten. The 2nd playthrough is about as fun as the 1st. I'm on my 4th. And I still suck.

Del Murder
09-23-2014, 06:59 PM
I kickstarted it too and I may have even paid enough for the alpha but I don't really have the time to play it. It looks great and I hope I can find some time for it when it gets the full release (also that it becomes available on a handheld system or PS3).

Vyk
09-24-2014, 01:25 AM
No worries. Outside of the big guns that I was too late to ever Kickstart (Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 [which is also now officially under public release!] and the new Planescape) this is the posterchild to me on why I love Kickstarter. Probably one of the best financial gaming decisions I've made. And as such I've followed it fairly closely. I haven't spent a lot of time on their official forum, but they obviously didn't need my input on anything. Either way. I tried to give it exposure when it was being campaigned. I gave it a tad of exposure here, and when it's officially released (if nobody beats me to it) I'll most likely let everyone know that too. So you won't be left in the dark when it's really time for the game to shine

Ayen
09-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Looks interesting. I always been a fan of Metroid and Castlevania so the style is definitely appealing to me. I don't have the money to buy or pre-order at that price, but I'll be keeping an eye on it since it's been a while since I played an independent game. I'll be busy with my reviews for this month and Xander's Tales. Coincidentally enough I'm playing a metroidvania game right now :jess:

Dr Unne
09-28-2014, 01:50 AM
I'm going to stream this game on Twitch in a few minutes. http://twitch.tv/cdaddr

chionos
09-28-2014, 02:37 AM
I watched your stream for a while. It looks good. Tempted to go throw money at it. Graphics certainly look smooth (jumpclippingbug aside) and the art is eye-catching. The only thing I noticed is that the AI, apart from the little wolf guys, isn't so great. Especially the goblinoid mobs. They just let you stab them in the back and don't turn around. If that's intentional, I don't know why. The platforming looked a bit repetitive at times, but that may just be because I'm watching and not playing. Overall, you nearly sold me. I'm going to be following for a while, will probably jump on board in the end.

Vyk
09-28-2014, 05:07 AM
It's advertised as $29.99 on most places, but I believe on their site you can get it for $14.99, I think the 29.99 one comes with music and extras and stuff. But yeah, it's still just pre-ordering, and if you get anything, it'd just be an alpha game. Probably worth waiting it out for most people

Dr Unne
09-28-2014, 05:50 AM
I watched your stream for a while. It looks good. Tempted to go throw money at it. Graphics certainly look smooth (jumpclippingbug aside) and the art is eye-catching. The only thing I noticed is that the AI, apart from the little wolf guys, isn't so great. Especially the goblinoid mobs. They just let you stab them in the back and don't turn around. If that's intentional, I don't know why. The platforming looked a bit repetitive at times, but that may just be because I'm watching and not playing. Overall, you nearly sold me. I'm going to be following for a while, will probably jump on board in the end.

There's an enemy with a knife and one with a spear, who lunge at you. In the second area there are mages who shoot a laser and a big skinless-looking dude who charges you. Keep in mind these are only the first two areas of at least six planned, and the game is still in alpha. There are enemies that they temporarily removed from the game last week because they were too buggy.