PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Shaming

Agent Proto
09-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Apparently Passenger Shaming (https://twitter.com/PassengerShame) has become a thing online. Basically it's reporting the shameful things of your fellow passengers that would make us shake our heads at them for doing them. Have you had any experiences with passengers that made you want to add them as contribution to passenger shame?

I'm sure many of us do, so please share!

Shorty
09-22-2014, 10:39 PM
People Of Walmart In The Air.

I kindof hate this stuff, really, though. It's just fodder for us to gawk at humanity, and I don't love it. Waste of energy.

Del Murder
09-23-2014, 12:01 AM
This is a thing? What exactly is shameful about laying on an empty seat? I guess if these people are doing something bad and are the type to pay attention to these twitter things then maybe they'll realize it and stop but that's a lot of ifs.

Anyway, as soon as I take my twins on a plane anywhere I'm sure I'll be passenger shamed at some point.

Vyk
09-23-2014, 01:17 AM
These are way more normal than People of Walmart. At least with People of Walmart you legitimately got "What the...." sometimes. With this it more like eh... I don't see the problem. It feels a lot more judgemental. At least with People of Walmart its like ... I dunno. Enlightening? You see a side of humanity you may not normally be exposed to, and it can be fascinating for its own right. Not necessarily for judgement or ridicule. It's just weird and interesting. This is just... whatever. Like really, what is wrong with kicking your feet up if you're in the front row in a window seat? You're not obstructing anything for anyone. The lady even had shoes on, so its not even unhygienic. I don't get these people

Sephex
09-23-2014, 01:26 AM
So who is the bigger asshole in most of these situations? The person trying to relax or the person taking an unsolicited photo of someone in order to e-high five each other in a huge circlejerk?

Shiny
09-23-2014, 03:18 AM
In other news, humans continue to be disappointing and find ways to be highly intrusive on the internet. In the words of Louis C.K., you're in the air, you're flying. That's amazing, so stop fucking complaining.

noxious.sunshine
09-23-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm sure other passengers have done things to irritate me, but it's actually pretty rare. In fact, it's really the opposite when my daughter is with me. When we take the train together and it's crowded, people will almost always give up their seats so that she and I can sit down together (even though she started to actually like standing towards the end of her trip lol)..

Ayen
09-23-2014, 01:36 PM
You'll have to ask the people who drive me.

Shiny
09-24-2014, 08:02 AM
The passenger shaming Instagram seems to have worse pictures instead of just shoeless passengers which I really don't think is that bad even though I always keep my shoes on in the plane in case it crashes, you know gotta be prepared to have shoes on...I dunno. :3

I saw a bunch of diapers in the middle of the aisle in one pic and a dirty condom in another. And someone urinated in the sink instead of the toilet that's right there. Granted they were probably plastered, but still. That's incredibly gross.

Night Fury
09-24-2014, 08:41 AM
I think when you're flying you're probably gonna get a bad passenger. On long haul flights it can be unavoidable really.

On my way from Doha to London, the guy behind me kept putting his sockless feet on my arm rest and like, scratching my arms with his LONG ASS TOENAILS. I also had my hair up in a ponytail and everytime he stood up (which was a lot :( ) he would hoist himself up using the back of my seat and he kept yanking on my ponytail really fucking hard!

I also overheard another passenger shouting at him because he was staring at him while he slept... Creeeeppppyyyy. He got taken off the plane by the police when we landed. :/ That's probably the worst one I have.

Honestly, on a long haul flight I'm probably a pretty horrible person too. If I fall asleep I'm likely to sprawl out and end up touching the person next to me by accident or something. I try and be as considerate as possible on a long haul flight but little annoying things can be unavoidable. There's no need to invade people's privacy in this way though, it's ridiculous. Can't go anywhere now without fear that someone will snap your picture for something you do just as you're going about your daily life...

Pumpkin
09-24-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm terrified of flying so my position on a plane is literally sit straight up and DO NOT MOVE FOR ANY REASON OR THE PLANE WILL CRASH AND WE WILL ALL DIE

Which is a horrible thing for someone with a tiny bladder like mine. But I did bring my son on a plane and I felt bad because he kicked someone's seat once and they shot me a dirty look

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-30-2014, 09:04 AM
I don't shame anyone, but especially not friends or family members, which you are if i'm in a vehicle with you. I've never had an experience where I look back on a car ride and say "I've got to shame someone for *thing here*".

Funny things happen in cars. Such as someone farting and then having the driver put the kiddie locks on so that everyone else gets hot boxed. I'm cool with sharing that story with people who will get a laugh out of it.

Laddy
09-30-2014, 01:29 PM
I sat next to a creepy guy who looked like Kevin Spacey on a Memphis-to-London trip. I did not sleep well that flight.

Nate
10-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I think this site has popped up as a response to the lack of civility in air travel. What was once a dress up affair is now as low-brow as it gets.

I don't approve of the website because I find it a bit rude, but when dealing with total strangers, respect their personal space as best you can. I don't think feet up on an airplane is ever appropriate, or cutting your nails, or disposing of human waste in the aisle. I've never actually seen any of this behavior, despite frequent travel, but I'm sure it happens.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I heard the idea of this shaming site and thought it was pretty mean spirited, but I followed the link to it from the thread out of curiosity.

I have to admit some of the things I saw pictures of weren't something I would ever consider doing on a flight. :onoes:

It would have never of occurred to me to make a snarky web page dedicated to it, but I probably would have regaled my friends with a descriptive story of the events.

Nate
10-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I heard the idea of this shaming site and thought it was pretty mean spirited, but I followed the link to it from the thread out of curiosity.

I have to admit some of the things I saw pictures of weren't something I would ever consider doing on a flight. :onoes:

It would have never of occurred to me to make a snarky web page dedicated to it, but I probably would have regaled my friends with a descriptive story of the events.

Yeah, but it's a step up to tell your friends about it. These pictures might actually ID a person. I don't think I'm okay with that.