PDA

View Full Version : Simple but complicated question

metagloria
09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
In all the times I've played this game, I've always been a card hoarder, NEVER refining my rares until endgame – maybe once I've turned Minotaur into Adamantines for an early Lionheart, but usually I wait until you can get them from Adamantoises instead. However, this time, I want to go ahead and refine Siren for 3 St-Atk-J's. My questions are:

All GFs learn a full slate of 22 abilities. If I use an item to add a 23rd ability, what happens when their usual 22nd ability is supposed to be learned? Does it never show up? If I go back later and delete an ability with Amnesia Greens, will the blocked one reappear?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-23-2014, 09:18 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/55355327/610397766

All credit goes to the Gamefaqs user in the above link. I had no idea but figured I would find a good answer anyway.

You can only have 22 abilities on a GF. Every GF also has exactly 22 abilities that they learn naturally. When you use an item to teach a GF an ability, something will eventually get pushed off of their list before you can learn it. That said, abilities don't vanish forever when they get pushed off the list. You'll just have to delete something else to get those abilities to reappear on the list.

You can delete abilities using Amnesia Greens available from Pet Shops, with the first opportunity to get them being the Pet Shop in Timber. If a GF had an ability to get pushed off the list, the unlearned ability will reappear if you use an Amnesia Greens to delete another ability from that same GF. Just note that deleting prerequisite abilities like HP+20% will prevent abilities unlocked by learning those, like HP+40%, from appearing even if you make space on the list. To get those unlearned abilities to reappear, you have to use an item to reteach the ability to the GF. In this case, you would have to reteach HP+20% to the GF in order to get HP+40% to appear on the GF's list as learnable.

You also don't want to delete any unique abilities that can't be retaught with items, or else those and any of the abilities unlocked by learning them are gone forever. A general rule of thumb you can follow is that if you don't see an item reteaching that ability in a shops list or you don't already have one in your inventory, you shouldn't delete that ability. The safest things to delete are Item, Magic, Draw, and GF since every GF has these and you only need as many of these abilities for as many party members as you plan on having junctioned. The scrolls teaching these abilities are also relatively cheap, so it isn't a problem to reteach those if you mess up.

metagloria
09-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Awesome, thanks for putting in the energy for me. :) 100 Deaths for everyone!