PDA

View Full Version : Article: Camping is actually a thing in Final Fantasy XV

Freya
09-22-2014, 10:56 PM

So that pretty picture you keep seeing as the promotional artwork for Final Fantasy XV? It's not just artwork, it's showing off an important aspect of the game. CAMPING! This brofest adventure (http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php/3284-XV-is-an-All-Male-Road-Trip) just keeps getting more adventurous!

After a rough day of adventuring, monster killing, and general exploring you'll need to rest. If you're out and about you can camp or if you're in a city setting you can rest at a hotel. Now this isn't just a gimmick. It is an actual crucial part of the game. If you don't get rest it'll affect your characters negatively, making them weaker in battle if they are sleep deprived. Some stronger monsters only come out in the evening time anyway but you'll need to be rested to be at full strength to take them on.

So yeah, you actually have to camp or rest at an inn as part of the game now. Before in the Final Fantasy Series it was just to progress the story or to save your game but now it'll actually have affects on your characters from not resting. If you want to be in tip top fighting shape you'll have to go to the inn.

What do you think about this new sleeping mechanic?

Psychotic
09-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Seems to imply something of an open world with a day-night schedule, which I'm all in favour of.

Fynn
09-22-2014, 10:58 PM
SO

MUCH

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Del Murder
09-22-2014, 11:29 PM
This actually sounds pretty cool. I hope you get a variety of camping gear from sleeping bags to tents to cabins. If they bring back the Cabin as an item then I will love them for that.

Also great job with the coverage Frekana!

Freya
09-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Heh I could technically have like 3 more up but I'm trying to not be too spam my with it. Thank you though!

I really like this aspect. Gives you a reason to tent. That road trip feels more road trippy

Depression Moon
09-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Well it wasn't just for saving or progressing the game in the series, in IX it was used to recover health. It'll be interesting to see it used in a 3-D more realistic looking game and that it'll be important than just restoring HP and MP. Where'd you get the info from btw?

Ayen
09-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Basically a revamped tent. I like it.

Vyk
09-23-2014, 01:08 AM
I approve of the realistic Baldur's Gate aspect of it

fat_moogle
09-23-2014, 01:12 AM
So yeah, you actually have to camp or rest at an inn as part of the game now. Before in the Final Fantasy Series it was just to progress the story or to save your game but now it'll actually have affects on your characters from not resting. If you want to be in tip top fighting shape you'll have to go to the inn.

It's not new at all. Tents and inns were present in pre-PS1 FF's as well, and in FFVII, VIII and IX you have to pay to sleep at an inn or tent to regain health. In VII and VIII you just used them to regain health on the field, but no tent animation was shown (as far as I remember). However using a Tent in IX you physically see the tent and day turn to night. After XIII I'm glad to see this make a return, as I didn't like regaining full health after battle. FF is heading back in the right direction* :D

*depending if you're willing to accept that it's an action RPG

Freya
09-23-2014, 01:16 AM
What is new is your character gets weaker if you DON'T rest. Sleep deprivation.

fat_moogle
09-23-2014, 01:25 AM
Oh, I get you.

If that's the case, then that's pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see how each character acts when they're fatigued. Maybe Prompto loses accuracy, Noctis speed is cut etc.

Edge7
09-23-2014, 01:28 AM

It's not new at all. Tents and inns were present in pre-PS1 FF's as well, and in FFVII, VIII and IX you have to pay to sleep at an inn or tent to regain health. In VII and VIII you just used them to regain health on the field, but no tent animation was shown (as far as I remember). However using a Tent in IX you physically see the tent and day turn to night. After XIII I'm glad to see this make a return, as I didn't like regaining full health after battle. FF is heading back in the right direction* :D

*depending if you're willing to accept that it's an action RPG
He might've been hinting at a stamina system, akin to Metal Gear Solid 3. One in which your overall battle performance, not just your health and MP, are affected.

Omni-Odin
09-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Haven't signed in or posted in a while, but yay!!!!!:D

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2014, 05:13 AM
This actually sounds pretty cool.

Spooniest
09-23-2014, 05:59 AM
I like what I'm hearing about the open world, day-night cycle thing. Hearkens back to the SNES days of glory.

Color me cautiously optimistic.

Laddy
09-23-2014, 09:42 AM
I can get behind this. It humanizes the characters and seems like a cool mechanic.

FFFFsephychibi
09-23-2014, 02:56 PM
I wonder if they will do what games like ass creed and skyrim did, after killing a creature you skin them and sell their pelts for money, cook their meat, and then maybe make armor/weapons???? HGGHHH

Pumpkin
09-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Could be fun. The landscape looks pretty!

Sephiroth
09-23-2014, 04:05 PM
If making reasonable physical conditions is in, changing clothes should be as well.

Jessweeee♪
09-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Yay!

I always hoard the tents thinking I'll use them "later"

I don't use them later