PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spells will be affected by Final Fantasy XV's Dynamic Weather System

Freya
09-23-2014, 10:34 PM
In the recent live footage of Final Fantasy XV, Square Enix showed off the Dynamic Weather System. Down pours and sunny days will be part of the adventure. Better find your rainboots!

a_nTAQtoy7g

The Dynamic Weather System will allow the weather to naturally and organically throughout the day and night phases (http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php/3286-Day-and-Night-Cycles-in-Final-Fantasy-XV). This means that when it rains, characters and environments will get wet. If the ground is uneven, puddles will form. When the sun comes out, the water will dry up both on your characters and the environment.

That's not all though. The weather will impact Noctis' magic abilities. Akin to the story Rikku tells of her brother zapping her as she swam in the ocean in Final Fantasy X, spells will be affected by the environment, including weather. So if it is wet outside you'll need to be more careful when using lightning abilities as you may hurt your own characters. Alternatively, if the sun is out, you fire spells will be more powerful albeit more likely to catch then environment on fire.

So the Dynamic Weather System isn't just for the aesthetic looks of the game but it also affects how you play it. What do you think about this weather addition? Will it change your magic play style? No more spamming Firaga. Sorry.

Spooniest
09-23-2014, 10:45 PM
(Raised eyebrow) Fascinating.

Del Murder
09-23-2014, 10:56 PM
What do I think? I think that this is awesome. I loved how weather affected things in FFXI and the Tactics games and I'm glad they are bringing it back.

Ayen
09-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Get lost rain, I'm trying to cast magic over here!

Karifean
09-23-2014, 11:51 PM
FF XII had something like that but I barely noticed it. This sounds like it warrants more attention. I like it, shakes things up.

Sephiroth
09-23-2014, 11:57 PM
So apparently the moon affects waterbending and sunlight firebending.

Rostum
09-24-2014, 12:11 AM
That... is really cool. Super excited!

Colonel Angus
09-24-2014, 12:53 AM
FF XII had something like that but I barely noticed it. This sounds like it warrants more attention. I like it, shakes things up.
I was going to mention that. I think it was only in a few areas, & rain would noticeably affect Fire & strengthen Thunder. This seems to be kicking it up a notch.

Vyk
09-24-2014, 01:12 AM
Wow, I don't know if I ever realized old FF games had done this. Or perhaps I had just forgotten. I actually came in here to compare it to Divinity: Original Sin, an awesome new CRPG that does this that everyone should play. But that point it moot if the thing has been available in previous FF games. I am all for this though. Other than them being all dudes, pretty much every new thing I hear about this game makes me more interested. Good on them

Flaming Ice
09-24-2014, 02:21 AM
5th member Frogger :)

Depression Moon
09-24-2014, 03:54 AM
I never noticed this in XII, but this sounds great to me. Info's getting me excited.

Mirage
09-24-2014, 04:29 AM
Hey, it's just like in FFXI (released in 2001)! Super progressive!

Pumpkin
09-24-2014, 05:50 AM
Gosh darn it having to think and plan now because of fake weather *grumblegrumble*

Rostum
09-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Hey, it's just like in FFXI (released in 2001)! Super progressive!

To be fair, the way FFXI implemented it was utter bullshit. There's so much room for better implementation, especially with newer technology.

Psychotic
09-25-2014, 07:57 AM
"Have some FIRE!"
*tsssss*
"...oh god damnit".

Scotty_ffgamer
09-25-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm just imagining during a dry spell while you're chilling in the forest, an enemy pops out to attack you. You use firaga, and this results in a massive forest fire and your characters just become hated by everyone throughout the rest of the game.