PDA

View Full Version : Touhou

Karifean
09-24-2014, 10:17 PM
So recently I've gotten my hands on Touhou 6 - The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

Damn. It's been a while since I've played something this punishing and unforgiving. And yet it's so much fun. The music is awesome and the difficulty level... well I wouldn't have it any other way. As tough as it is, I always feel it's my own fault when I die. A good kind of insanely hard.

So far I've been playing on Normal all the time. I played through Easy once, and since then I've been doing Normal without continuing. I think I like Marisa A best, although Reimu B is nice. I don't really care for Reimu A. I dunno why, I just don't. Never made it to Stage 6 without continuing yet, but I'll keep trying.

Any other Touhou appreciators around? Which games in the series are your favorites?

Ayen
09-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Easy is kind of a cheat since you don't get the final stage.

I downloaded it for a review request I filled back in May (http://torijreviews.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-embodiment-of-scarlet-devil.html) (shameless plug). For a series that was designed by just one person it's pretty good.

Scarlet Devil is the only one I played, though. I haven't gotten around to checking out the other games in the series.

Markus. D
09-25-2014, 05:34 AM
My favourite in the series is a close call between Subterranean Animism and Lotus Land Story. I adore Touhou. Also ZUN is a VG music god! To have studios and composers all around that adore you enough to recreate any and every piece of music he makes in all forms of genres is something special (A personal favourite (http://youtu.be/3ncq5XvTFPU) and another (http://youtu.be/vqGir87lU8g)). If it wasn't clear from those two links: Yuuka and Hina are my favourites.

Momiji
09-25-2014, 05:53 AM
Any other Touhou appreciators around? Which games in the series are your favorites?

Enough of one that I've been an admin/mod at one of the biggest English-speaking Touhou communities for quite some time now. <___<;

In all actuality I used to be huge into Touhou but nowadays I've kind of moved on from that.

My favorite games were Perfect Cherry Blossom and Subterranean Animism by far though. Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream and Mystic Square are stellar games as well. Hard is my standard difficulty nowadays. Never really worked my way up to Lunatic with much success.

Ayen
09-25-2014, 05:56 AM
For some stupid reason the version I downloaded didn't have any music so all I had to listen to was the sound effects T_T

Momiji
09-25-2014, 06:20 AM
For some stupid reason the version I downloaded didn't have any music so all I had to listen to was the sound effects T_T

That's why you buy the games, you silly pirate! Sorry, force of habit (the place I mod at is very much against piracy even though we all fucking do it).

For real though you should be able to find them fairly decent priced even if you have to import them. There has been word from ZUN that he'd like to start digital distribution at some point in the future, so look out for that as well.

Ayen
09-25-2014, 06:24 AM
I was under the impression it wasn't available in the states when I was talking with my friend. I feel silly now.

Momiji
09-25-2014, 06:33 AM
It's available through importing; you just have to use the right sites for it.

...that said, I no longer remember what those sites are. There's someone at the Touhou forum I mod at who lives in Japan and basically runs a courier service for people, so I've been using his service for stuff like that over the past while.

blackmage_nuke
09-25-2014, 06:43 AM
I have yet to finish a Touhou on Normals without Continues.

I've played 1-12.3 and the first I played and personal favourite was 7. I also very much like 11 and 9. Of the spinoffs my favourite was 9.5

Ultima Shadow
09-30-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm a huge Touhou fan. In fact, I spent last weekend at a Touhou-fan meetup. :greenie:

I usually finish each game on normal, then beat the extra stage (or die a billion times trying) and then move on, though I know some real "lunatics". One even does "pacifist runs" through some of the extra stages, which is absolutely crazy.

My favorite games were Perfect Cherry Blossom and Subterranean Animism by far though.Same as mine then. Well, as far as the 2D-shooters go anyway. Counting the fighting games, 12.3 aka Hisoutensoku has to be slapped on there as well. It's my second favourite fighting game after SSBM.

Also, there are a lot of great Touhou doujin games out there. Touhouvania/Koumajou Densetsu 1 and 2 are great Castlevania spinoffs (especially the second one) and "Detonate on Sound" is miles more fun than any official bomberman game. As long as you can get your hands on 4 PC-controllers (preferably SNES-like ones), then Detonate on Sound is easily on par with Super Smash Bros and Kirby's Air Ride's city mode when it comes to sheer multiplayer fun. In fact, Detonate on Sound might even top both of those at times. It's probably the most underrated Touhou doujin game.

Then there's "Age of Ethanols" (age of empiries), "Megamari" (megaman), Super Marisa Land (super mario land) and many more, as well as some pretty awesome non-spinoffs like Suppression by Celestial.

Ayen
09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
I just die, and die, and die some more.