PDA

View Full Version : Healing at save points

Pumpkin
09-25-2014, 03:41 PM
All games should do this thing. I love this

Do you like games that heal you when you hit a save point?

Loony BoB
09-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Depends on the game. I think FFXIII worked well with it's "instant heal upon battle completion" system, while I feel some games would be a disaster with this system. I think it comes down to how badly you can expect to be hurt during a standard fight.

Momiji
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
They should, yes. You're just gonna blow through a bunch of items at the save point to recover anyway, the game may as well expedite the process.

Bubba
09-25-2014, 04:40 PM
It depends entirely on the game, I think. Some games I don't think would suit it. For example, the original Resident Evil game had typewriters as save points which I rather liked. It wouldn't make sense for a typewriter to heal you... unless it was made by Steve Jobs. Then again, Resident Evil is survival horror so healing save points would make it far too easy.

I'm not a huge fan of save points anyway. They had their place back in the day but I'm more a fan of auto-saving these days. I suppose it depends on the game though.

Wolf Kanno
09-25-2014, 08:50 PM
No, I actually prefer letting items have more weight to them.

Pumpkin
09-25-2014, 08:50 PM
No, I actually prefer letting items have more weight to them.s.

loser

Wolf Kanno
09-25-2014, 08:52 PM
No, I actually prefer letting items have more weight to them.s.

loser

I just prefer my games to actually have something at stake and having every factor matter.

Pumpkin
09-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm teasing you :P

I like easy games so it isn't that surprising I like healing at save points (Bravely Default :argh:)

Wolf Kanno
09-25-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm teasing you :P

I like easy games so it isn't that surprising I like healing at save points (Bravely Default :argh:)

I know that! :kaoclove:

TrollHunter
09-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Part of me hates save points that dont heal me, but then theres a part of me that freaks out about saving over my previous file because who knows if I'll have enough items for whats coming up next and oh my god what if I screwed myself by using so and so healing items earlier and I love that anxiety. Thats me playing survival horror games in a nutshell.

Healing save points are awesome and convenient, but they also make grinding/farming way too easy to do without consequence and I dont think thats a good thing.

Then you have games like the metroid prime series that strike this weird balance based around different levels of save points. Most healed you but a select few (like your ship) would heal you and give you all your missiles back and stuff. It made rationing your ammunition important while not screwing you over if you understood quick routes back to your ship. I'm not sure how much I like the system as when you get really far away from the good save points a lot of the game turns into farming for ammo... but I digress.

In the end it's all about the developers understanding of what their game is setting out to do and working around that. Some games work well with healing/ammo refilling save points, others simply do not. It's tricky.

Ayen
09-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Yes. Healing HP at save crystals on Final Fantasy XII saved my life on more than one occasion.

Masamunemaster
09-27-2014, 06:12 AM
It depends entirely on the game, I think. Some games I don't think would suit it. For example, the original Resident Evil game had typewriters as save points which I rather liked. It wouldn't make sense for a typewriter to heal you... unless it was made by Steve Jobs. Then again, Resident Evil is survival horror so healing save points would make it far too easy.

I'm not a huge fan of save points anyway. They had their place back in the day but I'm more a fan of auto-saving these days. I suppose it depends on the game though.

Why not sit down for a minute and catch their breath? Would be ok as healing.

I think what we all want is something like grandia.

blackmage_nuke
09-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Solution: Save points should heal you once, So you cant abuse grind them but at the same time theyre a welcome relief at the end of a dungeon just before the boss.

Pete for President
09-27-2014, 07:17 AM
In the end it's all about the developers understanding of what their game is setting out to do and working around that. Some games work well with healing/ammo refilling save points, others simply do not. It's tricky.

Quoted for truth. It all depends on the type of game.

Spuuky
09-27-2014, 07:42 AM
It seems like there should be multiple kinds of save points in games and some should heal you and some shouldn't.

Mirage
09-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Seiken Densetsu 3 says hi :p.

In either case, I think it depends on the game. Some game makes item and resource management and integral part of the gameplay, others focus on other things to make the game challenging.

Tales of Xillia 2 restores up to 50% of max hp at save points, but no more, and no tp. I'm fine with that.

Karifean
09-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Really depends on the game. The tent item more or less makes most FF games have this feature, until X, X-2 and XII had it naturally, although I might have preferred it if XII didn't have it. You already recover so much just by running around in that game that it seems a bit overboard. But for most games in the series it worked out pretty well.

There are some advantages and disadvantages to having those from a game design perspective as well. If you wanted to make a dungeon that has the player managing their resources to stay alive, and save points recover you completely, well then you basically need to have no save point in that dungeon which in turn can make the dungeon frustrating. Omega Ruins and Henne Mines Depths come to mind. On the other hand it can make sure that players aren't beat to hell when you don't want them to be (like right before a boss) just because they try to save their items as much as possible.