PDA

View Full Version : SE to host FFXV & Type-0 talk show

Hannibal_Khan
09-25-2014, 05:47 PM
http://gematsu.com/2014/09/square-enix-host-extended-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-xv-talk-show-next-week

Thursday, October 2 at 20:00 Japan time. I hope they answer some questions I have about the battle system.

Freya
09-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Ooo exciting! I'll try to catch it! Maybe make Yars translate for me or something.

fat_moogle
09-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing more of XV. Hopefully they'll explain more about the "one touch" battle system.

Uchu
09-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Cool, won't be able to watch it though. What is with these strange times? I mean, the Sony TGS was 3 in the afternoon of something. But it will definitely be good to have a show based solely on these FF titles.

Hannibal_Khan
09-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Cool, won't be able to watch it though. What is with these strange times? I mean, the Sony TGS was 3 in the afternoon of something. But it will definitely be good to have a show based solely on these FF titles.

Yea i don't understand japanese anywayz. But after a day or so there will be a subtitled video. And not only this, FFXV is also supposed to appear at Jump Festa in December. With all this new info and the demo, i hope SE doesn't make us wait to long for this game. Hopefully they can put this game out next year.

Uchu
09-28-2014, 10:43 AM
I think they should try to aim for next year, but 55% complete still leaves a long way to go. If nothing else, 15 is definitely turning out to be an interesting title in terms of development.

Fox
09-28-2014, 10:57 AM
55% isn't really 55% though, that's 55% from when Tabata took over in July 2012. It also probably includes a lot of big changes to the game engine and design; a big chunk of that first 50% is time consuming stuff that puts a lot of the framework in place. The rest should just be content, which will hopefully be a faster process.

Late 2015 or early '16 is still a pretty safe bet I think. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from this show - I'm assuming it'll all be an extended look at what we've already seen rather than anything particularly new.

Uchu
09-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Has it really already been two years since he took over? :eek: I was under the impression it was a more recent thing.

Fox
09-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Has it really already been two years since he took over? :eek: I was under the impression it was a more recent thing.

Yup, it was mentioned in one of the interviews he gave (http://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-development-open-world-combat-demo).

Hannibal_Khan
09-28-2014, 07:35 PM
So what were they doing for the 6 YEARS befor tabata came on? Being a Final Fantasy fan has been like being in an abusive relationship since the XIII series was announced.

fat_moogle
09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Square Enix were too ambitious. What happened in 2006 should never have happened. Announcing not one, not two, but three games? One of which was barely in development and the other just a concept?

Not that it was a bad concept. Just very poorly executed. Starting off as Fabula Nova Crystallis: FFXIII. Then it dropped the XIII and became FNC on its own. Now the mythos spreads across 5 games; XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 and FFXV.

If XIII, Versus and Type-0 got announced a year or so apart from each other and there were no sequels then things could have been so different.

Prompto Argentum
09-28-2014, 08:07 PM
so will they show off some more gameplay ? i want to see luna :3

Hannibal_Khan
09-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Square Enix were too ambitious. What happened in 2006 should never have happened. Announcing not one, not two, but three games? One of which was barely in development and the other just a concept?

Not that it was a bad concept. Just very poorly executed. Starting off as Fabula Nova Crystallis: FFXIII. Then it dropped the XIII and became FNC on its own. Now the mythos spreads across 5 games; XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 and FFXV.

If XIII, Versus and Type-0 got announced a year or so apart from each other and there were no sequels then things could have been so different.

So where does the FF franchise stand if this game doesn't sell well? What if sold worse than LR?!! lol I think this game will sell really well in japan but idk about western markets. I think this because all there characters look way too Kdrama or w/e you wanna call it. Didn't they do an actual fashion show runway?? thats not what Final Fantasy's supposed to be...

Fox
09-28-2014, 09:09 PM
So where does the FF franchise stand if this game doesn't sell well? What if sold worse than LR?!! lol I think this game will sell really well in japan but idk about western markets. I think this because all there characters look way too Kdrama or w/e you wanna call it. Didn't they do an actual fashion show runway?? thats not what Final Fantasy's supposed to be...

What exactly is Final Fantasy 'supposed' to be?

If the game sells poorly enough this could be the last one, or maybe one more that tries to be much more traditional. Square Enix do not exactly have infinite money and these are very expensive games. I'm actually more optimistic about America and Europe for this game than I am for Japan; western markets have adopted the new generation of consoles much more readily, where Japan is focussing much more on handhelds and mobile these days. Also over there series like Persona have a much bigger share of the RPG fans than they do over here.

Hannibal_Khan
09-28-2014, 09:21 PM

Final Fantasy is supposed to be about a compelling story and challenging gameplay, not zippers.

Fox
09-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Final Fantasy is supposed to be about a compelling story and challenging gameplay, not zippers.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Freya
09-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Right now, Americans are all about the "graphics" that PS4 and Xbone can do so I think it'll do well just for that alone.

fat_moogle
09-29-2014, 01:18 AM
Right now, Americans are all about the "graphics" that PS4 and Xbone can do so I think it'll do well just for that alone
And the fact that we've been waiting for the game for almost a decade! That may play a part in sales more so than graphics :)

Mirage
09-29-2014, 02:41 AM

Challenging gameplay... Are we playing the same games?

Hannibal_Khan
09-29-2014, 04:19 AM

Challenging gameplay... Are we playing the same games?

I just mean that the game is actually a challenge to complete. I really miss the time when there were games that not everyone was expected to beat. Zelda, for example....or Mario, and FF 1-9. But tabata recently said the game will "appeal to 'casual gamers'". This statement has worried me the most about this game.

Fynn
09-29-2014, 06:55 AM
FFVI and onwards can be beaten with one hand. There hasn't been a genuinely challenging FF since V. Excluding XII.

Just sayin'.

FFFFsephychibi
09-29-2014, 01:26 PM
wow, I'm dumb, whoops, made a post in the wrong thread !!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THURSDAY MORE DETAILS!!!

Loony BoB
09-29-2014, 02:51 PM
FFVI and onwards can be beaten with one hand. There hasn't been a genuinely challenging FF since V. Excluding XII.

Just sayin'.
Depends on your definition of challenging. If you're a fan of overpowering your characters via leveling notably ahead of the difficulty curve at the point of the game, I believe FFXIII is the only game that will stop you from being able to do so.

DMKA
09-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Looking forward to this. I really wish there was some sort of English stream though, because releasing a subtitled version at a later date is kind of moot since all the big reveals will have already been spread all over the internet by that point.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i am always surprised to hear someone liked this game.
I loved FFXIII, it's pure, under-appreciated brilliance in my opinion. I've replayed it more than any of the others besides VII and X, and I've been playing FF games for over 16 years now.

It's silly to be surprised that someone happens to like something you don't. :p

Shauna
09-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Come on guys, if you want to debate the pros and cons about the FF13 saga, you will find 90% of the relevant forum is dedicated to tearing it to shreds. So yes, feel free to continue your discussion there!

Get back to discussing the talk show thingamabob. :)

Scotty_ffgamer
09-30-2014, 07:00 PM
For those of you still wanting to debate the XIII saga, I've split your discussion into this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/159510-Pros-and-Cons-of-the-XIII-Saga). Please do not continue that discussion here, as was already stated by Shauna.

As for the topic on hand, I'm interested to see what comes of the talk show. Hopefully it will help ease the concerns of some of the people who are on the fence about these games.

Fox
09-30-2014, 08:31 PM
The term 'Talk show' makes me imagine Richard and Judy on a sofa asking Tabata how Noctis likes to deal with the traffic on the M25.

Ayen
09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
The term 'Talk show' makes me imagine Richard and Judy on a sofa asking Tabata how Noctis likes to deal with the traffic on the M25.

This better be EXACTLY how it goes.

Hannibal_Khan
10-02-2014, 12:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CneDd6yyRf8 Less than 12 hrs to go. If i start drinking now i should be good'n peppered by the time this thing starts :D

fat_moogle
10-02-2014, 12:26 AM
I start work in about 12 hours. I'll have to keep an eye on this throughout the day :D I'll read about it and then watch it when I get back.

FFFFsephychibi
10-02-2014, 12:54 AM
ooo this is super exciting!!! I will make sure I'm up for this *u*

Hannibal_Khan
10-02-2014, 01:01 AM
i'll be up. I wouldn't miss a chance to see my Bros!

Kozmos
10-02-2014, 03:24 AM
Does the video usually go up right after the broadcast? I can't watch it live, but am going to wake up a bit early to watch before I leave in the morning. Can't wait!!!!

Fox
10-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Uurrgh I'm watching the video with comments on in the hope to catch some translations. But it's comments, so people are dicks.

Loony BoB
10-02-2014, 01:48 PM
http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/square-enix-presents-type0-xv-stream/

Hmm. Looked okay, I suppose, but the battle footage didn't excite me. Seemed very hack'n'slash, but we'll see how things develop. I'm sure there will be much more to it than a muted YouTube video showed to me. :p

Freya
10-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I think it shows you once again how out of touch general SE upper management is about the fans. The producer is grumpy about the car meme, the fans and Tabata love it.

fat_moogle
10-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I can't watch this yet as I'm at work.

If someone can find a link that I can come back and watch later tonight I'd appreciate it :)

Fox
10-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Have you seen the translation of this? Take a looksee: http://gematsu.com/2014/10/final-fantasy-xv-director-addresses-fan-concerns-new-gameplay

I made a note of a few points in particular...

Q: So after all, the E3 2013 trailer was a lie? You can’t actually play like that?

A:You can fight like that. I think in the recent play demonstration we showed several techniques and functions, but at E3 last year the game was running on a prototype environment (Ebony). At TGS 2014 we showed the game running in the actual environment (Luminous). Right now we are in the process of migrating functions from the prototype into it. It will take time to migrate it all. I wanted to show footage in the actual environment as soon as possible, so I ended up showing something that is in the midst of migrating. The video shows actual footage, not an idealized version. It will become more and more advanced from here on out.

So, what we've seen so far is not a complete representation of the final product, but you will be able to play like we saw in the E3 demo. Interactions will get more complex as we see more. Probably something they should have made much clearer earlier on....

Q: Can you go into detail about the “holding down the button” issue? Is it really okay to just hold the button down?

A:It’s not that simple! (Laughs.) Yes, when you continue to hold down the guard button, you can basically auto-guard and evade, but it consumes MP. You can’t infinitely evade. You have to think about timing, when it’s a good idea to attack or evade. Also, you aren’t invincible. There are attacks you can’t avoid. In those cases, there are also essential technical evasion methods.

Q: What about attacks?

A:When you push the attack button, you invoke the standard combo. You can change the actions by using it in coordination with the directional buttons. The actions change depending on your circumstances—things like whether you’re guarding and whether the timing is right, (imagine in this circumstance: when you’re guarding, you might get a chance to counterattack or something), or if your companions are nearby.

So hold to auto-attack, but adjust the attacks with directions (and possibly timed taps? He does suggest the timing is important). Later in the interview he also mentions you can invoke weapon 'techniques':

Q: What about weapon selection?

A: You set them yourself before battle. You set each weapon considering what actions you can use with which weapons. You can only determine one weapon from the ones equipped to be your main one, but that weapon will come with techniques which can be invoked at your discretion in battle. Besides the basic assault button (attack), you can invoke techniques with the technique button.

fat_moogle
10-03-2014, 01:34 AM
A:When you push the attack button, you invoke the standard combo. You can change the actions by using it in coordination with the directional buttons.
Tales of Noctis. Maybe Tabata has picked up on the more recent popularity of Tales of in the West and created a battle system based on some of those foundations.

Tabata mentions about levelling, and that if you level up and get good weapons then you'll have no problem beating the game. Now I really want to know how levelling works. Will we see a return to to traditional levels? Will characters follow a set path like FFX and FFXIII? Or will you be able to customise like XII and choose how to develop each individual party member.

I've got a feeling it will be more like X and XIII.

Hannibal_Khan
10-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Well they said they wanted to do another streaming event in November. What do you expect them to talk about then?

Taiga
10-03-2014, 10:31 AM
That's a good question.
Didn't Tabata say something like "We want to do another show like this if we have enough material"? To me it sounded like they weren't sure if they'd actually do another stream that early, but I might have misunderstood that part.

I wonder if the stream will be all about XV then, since they showed only about 10 minutes of Type-0 & Agito and then focused on XV, anyway. They might answer some more questions if there are any new, and maybe they'll show a few more seconds of further improved gameplay. I think the other guy also said something like "We're gonna let you know more about the characters and the story at a later point", but I think he was rather referring to Jump Festa. I wouldn't mind some new info during the stream though. ;)

They might also completely focus on Type-0 next time, who knows.