Stella Nox Fleuret = Star of the Night
Luna = Moon
Noctis Lucis Caelum = Night Luminous sky

Ignis Stupeo Scientia = Fire Science
Prompto Argentum = Silver Ready
(Cor) Leonis = Lion
Gladiolus Amicitia = Knife friends...

Interesting stuff

So if Noctis is Night, Luna and Stella are the moon and the stars, who is the Sun? Is it far to reach and say maybe the Sun is the antagonist?

Almost all their names are latin. YOU'RE TRYING TO BE SNEAKY WITH NIGHT RELATED STUFF SE, I can see what you're doing.

Thoughts about the names? Theories?

FFFFsephychibi
09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Personally now that they've mention there is a day night cycle, and you bringing up a good point about the names.

I feel like the core concept of this game heavily, is dealing with duality in every way possible. Wether it be in the character designs Black vs White, the character names, the game's day and night cycle mechanics, fantasy vs reality, or the word versus in general XD I can't wait for more info so we can form more duality connections. It's really interesting!!!!

Also, I like the names. And that they have some significant meaning. Like they weren't given names because someone thought they sounded cool, they might actually be tied to the story :)

metagloria
09-26-2014, 04:24 PM
I hate that the names are all Latin and themed. That's the kind of thing I would do when naming my characters during a playthrough of an older FF (although I'd use ancient Greek), but not what I expect from Square.

Shorty
09-26-2014, 04:41 PM
I hate that the names are all Latin and themed. That's the kind of thing I would do when naming my characters during a playthrough of an older FF (although I'd use ancient Greek), but not what I expect from Square.

I also hate them. The few I don't hate are Stella (just Stella - the rest of her name sucks), Luna, and Leonis. All the rest of the names and the culture of it makes me cringe. Especially Prompto.

Fynn
09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Stella Nox Fleuret = Star of the Night
Luna = Moon
Noctis Lucis Caelum = Night Luminous sky

(Cor) Leonis = Lion
Those are actually entire latin phrases, so you can translate them entirely instead of going word for word. Too bad neither English not Japanese have cases, and thus most of those are botched. Thanks SE, for getting to know that the third declension is usually listed in the genitive form, not the nominative when you look them up in the dictionary, so night should be "Nox", while "Noctis" means "Night's" :monster:

Nevertheless, I like the names and the themes and think those fit well. Here are the phrases and their full meanings, from what I remember:

Stella Nox means Night Star, while Fleuret is a Fleuret, a fencing foil
Noctis Lucis Caelum - this one is really botched. I'm guessing they meant something like "Light in the Night Sky"
Ignis Stupeo Scientia probably was supposed to mean "Magnificent Fire (flame?) of Knowledge"
Prompto Argentum - Quicksilver (this one would be fine, I think. Cases might be off but it's been a couple years since I had Latin so I can't remember XP I know the order is wrong and the gender may be wrong)
Cor Leonis - Lion Heart (now THIS is done correctly)
Gladiolus Amicitia - Little Sword of Friendship

Freya
09-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Yeah some would fully translate but not all so I did it by pieces that would. Google translate even haha. So that works better! Thank you!

Fynn
09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
No prob :) As I said, my Latin's a bit dusty and those names are mostly grammatically incorrect, so I can't vouch for my translations either, but I still think they're a bit more reliable than google :p

Also, I think we may have a Yin Yang theme. Stella is the star in the night sky, so she's the white dot on black. Depending on the translation, Noctis may be the back that surrounds it or the black dot on white. Reminds me of "Only Lovers Left Alive" XD

Prompto Argentum
09-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Idola Aldercapt = spectre
Regis Lucis Caelum = Sky of the King's Light or Sky of the Light's King

^^

Fynn
09-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Idola Aldercapt = spectre
Regis Lucis Caelum = Sky of the King's Light or Sky of the Light's King

^^

YES, IT'S HARD TO TELL BECAUSE NOMURA DOESBT UNDERSTAND THAT IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IF YOU MAKE THE NOUN A GENITIVE OR A NOMINATIVE!

:mad2:

I'm guessing he wanted it to be sth like "king of the light's Sky", but that should be more like "Lucis Caeli Rex". Sigh...

Freya
09-26-2014, 07:22 PM
So we're going for a light and darkness, yin and yang theme it seems.

Oh nomura, you and your love of light and darkness.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Just remember, you are the one who will open the door to the light.

FFFFsephychibi
09-26-2014, 08:41 PM
So we're going for a light and darkness, yin and yang theme it seems.

Oh nomura, you and your love of light and darkness.

I actually really like how much he uses that theme. It's so simple, but so diverse and can be applied to anything.

Ayen
10-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who don't care for the names (Stella being the obvious exception). I'm okay with the day/night theme they seem to have going on.

fat_moogle
10-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I like the names of...

- Noctis
- Stella
- Luna
- Cor Leonis
- Ignis

Not so keen on...

- Prompto
- Gladiolus

Depression Moon
10-04-2014, 03:31 PM
They all ugly except for Stella, Luna, and Leonis

Edge7
10-05-2014, 03:14 AM
I like the names of...

- Noctis
- Stella
- Luna
- Cor Leonis
- Ignis

Not so keen on...

- Prompto
- Gladiolus
Yeah, basically my sentiments, although the rest of Ignis's name is super dumb. I'm warming up to the name Prompto though.

chionos
10-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Stella Nox means Night Star, while Fleuret is a Fleuret, a fencing foil
Noctis Lucis Caelum - this one is really botched. I'm guessing they meant something like "Light in the Night Sky"
Ignis Stupeo Scientia probably was supposed to mean "Magnificent Fire (flame?) of Knowledge"
Prompto Argentum - Quicksilver (this one would be fine, I think. Cases might be off but it's been a couple years since I had Latin so I can't remember XP I know the order is wrong and the gender may be wrong)
Cor Leonis - Lion Heart (now THIS is done correctly)

Night Star Foil would be one way to translate it, which could mean that it's an extended bilingual pun implying that they plan to use the Stella character as a literary foil. She would probably be the foil to Noctis but it could be a thing with Luna (though: see below). While I think all this Latin is pretentious in a Final Fantasy, I do think this pun is pretty cool. I hope it's meaningful and not just some random pretentious crap.

(though Nox is nominative, it could very well be working as a predicate, meaning it's leaning on Stella. I don't know why it wouldn't be in the genitive, other than the fact that there's already a Noctis, and well now that I mention it, that's probably a good enough reason. If Stella is really meant as a foil to Noctis, then it would make sense for her to be a Nox to his Noctis. It's perfect.)

Noctis's name works as it is. Why are you thinking that Night's Luminous Sky doesn't work? The luminous sky of the night. It makes sense to me. Noctis and Lucis are both genitive, with Noctis being possessive and Lucis being a describing or defining adjectival case (hence "luminous," the adjective, in place of "light," the noun. "Lit" would be more accurate, but doesn't sound as nice).

Ignis Stupeo Scientia is interesting because Ignis is a bit ambiguous, and because Scientia is either nominative, which means it's the subject, which would put the whole thing in a very different light, or it's ablative, which would both make for a very difficult translation and be very intriguing. If it is ablative, the phrase would mean something like: Fire Knowingly Astounds/Stuns/Stupefies. There's no preposition, but it could also mean something like: Fire Astounds [with/by/awayfrom] Knowledge, which amounts to the same thing as the other. If Ignis is genitive, then Scientia would be nominative and the phrase would be: Fire's Knowledge Astounds.

Zerobot
03-11-2015, 08:15 AM
I like these meaningful name's concept. Brilliant idea.

Mirage
03-11-2015, 12:18 PM
i can't help but think that meaningful names are a bit tryhard

maybe it could have worked if they were at least a bit subtle.

Sephiroth
03-11-2015, 03:12 PM
There are so many meaningful names in Final Fantasy.

Princess Sarah -> Sarah means princess
King Regis -> Regis means King
Noctis, Stella, Luna, Igni, et cetera for a natural based theme just like Terra, Cloud, Aerith, Squall, Laguna, Raine, Tidus, Yuna, Lightning, Snow, et cetera.

So basically I have no problem with it. Latin origin is pretty new though. Pretty, not totally.

The main villain being called Dies like Day or Heliosm like sun makes sense, yes.

metagloria
03-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Worth pointing out that Helios is Greek, not Latin. Latin equivalent is Sol.

By "worth pointing out", I mean I'm a pretentious ancient Greek lover. :cool:

Fynn
03-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Worth pointing out that Helios is Greek, not Latin. Latin equivalent is Sol.

By "worth pointing out", I mean I'm a pretentious ancient Greek lover. :cool:

As a mythology geek, i'd like to point out it was also the name of the sun god. :cool:

Sephiroth
03-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I did not say it was Latin. The other names are. About Helios I was not totally sure.

Shiny
03-11-2015, 07:22 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/787/356/d6f.jpg

Freya
03-11-2015, 07:57 PM
I guess is how it actually is supposed to be, Shiny. I just translated what I could with Google Translate.

fat_moogle
03-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Wait, Prompto Stupeo? That just makes me think of stupid.

Mirage
03-11-2015, 11:44 PM
I know meaningful names aren't exactly a new thing, but I still think the ones found in FF15 are not very good. Meaningful names work when the words are actually used as names in the real world, or at least sound like they could have been real names. Such as Sarah or Stella.

Vyk
03-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Agreed. Prompto and Gladiolus still sound ridiculous. Prompto sounds like a rejected Hobbit name. I didn't have this problem so much with names in the past, except with weird pronunciations. Tifa pronounced Teefa is fine. Tiffa sounds dumb to me. Same with Tittus as Tidus. And Yoofie as Yuffie. So maybe I'm reading this names wrong and they're pronounced differently than they look? Is there a way to pronounce Gladiolus that doesn't make it sound ridiculous and that it could be a real name for someone?

fat_moogle
03-15-2015, 02:05 AM
Is there a way to pronounce Gladiolus that doesn't make it sound ridiculous and that it could be a real name for someone?
Maybe he's really a Gladdis.

#plottwist

Mirage
03-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Maybe he is really GladOS

Lawr
03-15-2015, 10:01 PM
You guys by the way, "Sol" is already a Final Fantasy character in another game so I doubt they would reuse it. That means they will have to try extra hard for the Sun name!

i can't help but think that meaningful names are a bit tryhard

maybe it could have worked if they were at least a bit subtle.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/787/356/d6f.jpg

Every time I get a chance, I'm pretty vocal about how fucking stupid I think the names are in this game, and I thought I was crazy cause it seemed like I was the only one that disliked them until this thread! It's just like that L'Cie crap in FFXIII and it makes me cringe every time I read it or see it.

FFX was fine, "Sephiroth" was on the tryhard borderline, but here they're trying waaay too hard, like this is somebody's life's work in RPG Maker, kind of tryhard.