PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the Summoned Beast?

Wolf Kanno
09-27-2014, 06:12 AM
One of the elements I like about FFIV is that it's world is filled with hints to bigger things but never really goes into it, leaving it to the player's imagination to fill the void. So what is up with the Summoned Beasts in this game? They live in what appears to be a pocket dimension at the center of the world, their god lives on the false moon, humans can join their ranks if their souls are strong enough, and their is a mysterious race of people that possess some physical/psychic link with the creatures that allow them to summon them but also die with them if defeated. So what are your thoughts on FFIV's wacky interpretation of everyone's favorite summons?

chionos
09-27-2014, 07:26 AM
I love the games that make them personal, as opposed to brainless elemental deities, so FFIV has one of the better interpretations (FFVI being the best, of course). And yes, the mystique, everything that's left unsaid in the story, does add to the fantasy value and opens up the game a bit. I think maybe that's a problem with modern fantasy game storytellers. It sounds contradictory, but they try to say too much, and end up saying too little. FFIV is the baby bear of Final Fantasy and the Three BearsTM metaphors. (FFVI would therefore be the Big Bad Wolf of Final Fantasy and the Three BearsTM metaphors, who upon visiting his good friends, the bears, and finding them away for the evening helped himself to some leftover porridge and a cutelittleblondegirl sandwich.