PDA

View Full Version : Suggest Some Horror Films

Pheesh
09-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Pretty self explanatory thread really. Lockharted and I love to watch horror flicks together but we're always having to wade through mountains of garbage before we can find a good one. I no longer trust IMDB, I've given too many of their 5 to 7's out of 10 a shot only for them to be the actual worst, so suggest some of your favourites.

Also, just so you know, I'm not really looking for anything 'classic', per se. I've seen older horror films and there's some that are great and personal favourites of mine, but I never actually find them scary. By all means you can suggest them, but they may not be what we're looking for necessarily. Sometimes it's great to watch a 'horror' film and admire it as a well made movie, and other times it's good to watch a film and just completely shit yourself, we're looking for the latter.

I think my favourite is probably 1408, I love psychological horrors like that and it had a few jump scares dotted throughout it for good measure. Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out.

Madame Adequate
09-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Alien is the greatest horror movie ever made. Except for The Thing. You want to be paranoid, watch either of those.
Night of the Living Dead (either)
Dawn of the Dead (either)
Day of the Dead
[Rec] (The Spanish original; One of the only movies that tore a legitimate scream of terror from me)
The Shining
28 Days Later
The Descent
Ringu

Slothy
09-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Good list from MA. I'll add Evil Dead. Originals and the remake actually. Psychological horror they are not, but they're damn good.

Pheesh
09-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Seen most of those, I'll add [Rec] to the list of foreign horror films I have to get around to watching at some point. On that topic, can anyone vouch for the French horror film Martyrs and the original version of The Eye? I've heard both are good and legitimately scary.

Also, Tara is not into zombie flicks, and I'm the same to a lesser extent, Dawn of the Dead was pretty good though. Evil Dead (the remake) was really enjoyable, grossed me the hell out though.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Here's a list of horror movies I've watched recently that I really enjoyed:

Frankenstein's Army
The Innkeepers

Eh... there are a bunch more, but I just realized I need to leave for work and I'm having trouble of thinking about them at the moment. I'll get back to this list later.

Psychotic
09-27-2014, 04:14 PM
The Crazies came up on my Netflix so I thought I'd give it a go. Watching it right now. It's alright. Characters are pointless and I don't even know any of their names but I like the technical aspects - the concept, design, shock moments etc.

Shauna
09-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I never found Martyrs scary (nor did I find it particularly enjoyable in any sense), so I wouldn't recommend, personally.

Night Fury
09-27-2014, 04:32 PM
The Eye is great, bit daft at the end like but the elevator scene is nightmare inducing. Oh my god.

Also if we're gonna watch The Eye we'll do Tale of Two Sisters as well.

chionos
09-27-2014, 05:42 PM
I liked The Eye. It has a few moments that should get to you if you let it.

Was rather disappointed with The Crazies.

The original [REC] is worth watching, but tbh it disappointed me in the end, too. One of those horror movies that starts off well but then just doesn't know where to go with itself once it's gone through the reveal. Also "found footage" just annoys me. Way past tired of it.

If you like psychological non-supernatural horror, then Wolf Creek is pretty good. The main character is evil as smurf.

If atmosphere/darkness is what gets you, The Descent wasn't terrible. Very claustrophobic. So if darkness and tight spaces make you sweat, it might be something to try. Outside that, it's not the greatest movie, though, so look elsewhere if you can be in tight places without panicking.

Wolf Kanno
09-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Eh... while I love horror, I never find many horror movies to be scary and I never cared for "jump-out scare/gore" type films so I do find it hard to find something in film that is legitimately scary, probably why I get more enjoyment out of games of the genre.

Films I might add to your list:

In the Mouth of Madness - No real jump scares, more psychological though it's pretty tame by today's standards but I love the fact someone tried to really recreate a Lovecraftian Horror story in the modern age.

Pan's Labyrinth - Not actual true horror, more like a dark fantasy but it has some legitimately dark moments and I feel it's a film that will certainly put you through the emotional wringer before it lets go of you.

The Omen - A nice classic and a tale that legitimizes my general distrust of children. Again, it is pretty tame now compared to the gore fest of other films today but I felt it was well acted and still comes across feeling unsettling.

I am actually going to try and watch a list of horror movies I created a week ago but since many of them are new to me I can't really suggest any of them.

blackmage_nuke
09-28-2014, 05:16 AM
Not a movie but I really enjoyed the series Siberia. It was a fresh concept and well executed. it ends on a cliff hanger and it doesnt look like theres going to be a season 2. It's still worth watching though despite that

I also enjoyed Wolf Creek but wasnt all that scared.

Wolf Kanno
09-28-2014, 06:18 AM
I just remembered two other films.

Sessions #9 and Jacob's Ladder. Team Silent used references from both films for the Silent Hill games.

Night Fury
09-28-2014, 08:32 AM
My favourite horror/ghost movie I saw recently was The Conjuring, actually. I just really thought it was very well done and interesting to watch. I also really enjoyed Insidious up until the point where it started getting very bizzare towards the end.

It's not really a horror movie either, but Cabin in the Woods is just tremendous.

I do like the 'haunting where they have to figure out who the ghost is and the backstory of the ghost to get rid of the ghost' type movies. They're usually predictable but still good fun to watch!

Vyk
09-28-2014, 03:18 PM
My favorite ones that I keep coming back to year after year are the remake of Dawn of the Dead and The Mist. They both cover the same concept, of how people react and are sometimes the real monsters sometimes in tragic situations no matter what form the enemy takes. They're both really well done in my opinion. But it probably helps that there are likable characters. Most movies like that make everyone so irritating and stupid

Cabin in the Woods is pretty good. I loved it. But my girlfriend absolutely hated it. So just a heads up, it's not universally adored, it's just got louder fans than haters. Same goes for Drag me to Hell. I enjoyed it. But most of the people I watched it with didn't. And like mentioned in another thread, I loved Cloverfield. Probably the best found-footage/shaky-cam horror movie. But if you're not into either of those, it may not interest you

And if you're into movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or House of 1000 Corpses where they have a bunch of psychotic gore just for the sake of having psychotic gore, y'know, just to make you feel uneasy. I can't stand those types of movies. They seem extremely gimmicky and lack adequate story or draw. So I would never suggest anything like that personally. Though I do hear the sequel to 1000 Corpses was good. I was too disenchanted with the first to give the sequel a second thought. I can't remember what it's called. Devil's Rejects or something like that?

Madame Adequate
09-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah, Cabin in the Woods is fairly good. Drag me to Hell is very divisive but probably worth a shot.

Also yeah, I left them out because I wouldn't particularly class them as horror movies, but the Evil Dead series is mandatory watching for all human beings.

e; Oh also one of my all-time favorites in the genre looks like a typical "dumb teens get murdered" flick, but is actually superb: Jeepers Creepers. The sequel isn't as strong but probably still worth it if you like the original.

Jinx
09-28-2014, 04:33 PM
The Ring and Thirteen Ghosts!

Pheesh
09-28-2014, 04:40 PM
I tried watching The Ring when I was too young I think and it just freaked me the hell out. I didn't get through it all and I haven't tried again since. I should give it another shot.

Jinx
09-28-2014, 04:42 PM
You definitely should! It's been awhile since I watched it, but it's one of the few movies that legitimately scared me and freaked me out. It's very...weird.

krissy
09-28-2014, 04:49 PM
GINGER SNAPS

the An American Werewolf In series isn't bad either

oh

also

EVENT HORIZON

Arc_Master_14
09-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Well most horror movies I watch are cheesy B-Horror movies so I doubt you'd be into them unless you want a laugh. Two of my personal favorites are Teeth and Maximum Overdrive.

chionos
09-28-2014, 07:52 PM
GINGER SNAPS

the An American Werewolf In series isn't bad either

oh

also

EVENT HORIZON

I've always thought Ginger Snaps was overrated, even though it has some interesting non-cliche werewolf moments.

But Event Horizon is great. I love that movie. Definitely a must-see.

Slothy
09-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Yeah, Event Horizon is quite good.

Colonel Angus
09-30-2014, 03:35 AM
Freaks- Technically not horror, but close enough
Poltergeist
Poltergeist II
Nightmare on Elm Street
It

Pheesh
09-30-2014, 04:14 AM
Yeah, poltergeist is one of those 'classic' films I mentioned in my first post that just wasn't scary, even though I didn't think the movie was necessarily bad. If anything I think I had a bit of a laugh when I first watched it. I was saying to Locky though that she should watch it because she's showing me Supernatural at the moment and it's amazing how many cues that show takes from Poltergeist on so many different episodes.

Last night we watched the ring, not as pants troutingly terrifying as I remember but still really well done and very unnerving. Creepy little girls in horror films man, me no likey.

Night Fury
09-30-2014, 05:17 AM

Nope. No. Nooo nooo noooooo no no no no.

Wolf Kanno
09-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Nope. No. Nooo nooo noooooo no no no no.

This reminds me, have you seen Eraserhead? :wcanoe:

Night Fury
09-30-2014, 05:51 AM
I just checked it out on imdb and I don't think I'd be able to deal with it, so no.

:lol:

Scotty_ffgamer
09-30-2014, 06:20 AM
I enjoyed Ginger Snaps. I didn't even know it could be considered overrated as I've never heard anyone talk about it outside of one of my old roommates. Not great cinema by any means, but it was enjoyable.

Now that you've watched The Ring, have you seen The Grudge? A lot of people I know who liked The Ring also enjoyed this one. I've not found a horror movie that scares me, but it seemed to scare a lot of my same friends who were scared by The Ring.

Night Fury
09-30-2014, 06:30 AM
I've seen The Grudge, I really liked it when I was 14. I'll see how it stands now.

I think I just didn't like that Buffy didn't just kill the effing ghost straight away haha

Shiny
09-30-2014, 06:36 AM
I love horror films but a lot of the ones I love are either too disturbing to share on here or b horror movies so I will stick to the vanilla stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Sinister - surprisingly good
Right at Your Door - very underrated
Psycho (original) - best psychological horror IMO Hitchcock invented psychological thrillers so just watch everything he's done
The Loved Ones - good Austrailian horror film
2001: A Space Odyssey - not all of Kubricks films are tradtionally horror but to me his movies are the stuff of nightmares and are probably intentionally so. Adding to that:
A Clockwork Orange

Oh lemme throw in something old school that's also great:

Cat People - had a very anxiety inducing moment in the swimming pool. Watch it and you'll see what I mean.

Laddy
09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Insidous and The Conjuring were cool and fresh.

i wouldn't call it a horror film exactly but Buried was very engaging and intelligent.

Madame Adequate
10-02-2014, 02:14 AM
I cannot believe I forgot about Event Horizon. If nothing else it has the best reaction to obvious Bad Things ever filmed.

>Aboard creepy abandoned ship
>Find evidence of untold horrors
>"Pack it up, we're leaving."

Shiny
10-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Here's another CONTAGION. And also a really scary movie that's a documentary about New York's nuclear power plant and how vulnerable it is to terrorist attacks. I forgot what it was called, but it was terrifying. Two very scary movies to me because it's a lot more realistic than a zombie eating my brain.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2014, 07:43 PM
A Tale of Two Sisters, just watched this last night and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's a Korean Horror film based off a famous Korean fairy tale. The film is kind of one part ghost story and one part psychological horror.

kotora
10-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Tetsuo: the Iron Man. A Japanese classic. You'll never look at drills the same way again.