PDA

View Full Version : laptop to ps3

Masamunemaster
09-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Recently I have been playing games on my ps3 more and more, and I have bought Destiny(which is a huge file). When I installed it I had less than 5G left. I have an old hard drive from my laptop I bought forever ago and wondered if it would work in it. it is a WD Scorpio blue 250G, it has WD2500BEVT at the top. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CimminyCricket
09-29-2014, 10:29 PM
It most likely will. Just make sure you don't have anything that you need and you can install it into your PS3 (I did this with the model I bought in 2008). If I remember correctly, all the PS3 does is format the drive and then (with an internet connection) installs the OS onto the drive. Easy peezy.

Mirage
09-29-2014, 11:36 PM
You'll lose your saved games if you don't do a system backup first. Or if you don't have PSN plus to save them online. Saving individual game save files to an usb drive won't work for most of your games.

Masamunemaster
09-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Ok, when I can do this I'll just get a month psn so I don't lose my demon souls....again.

Now something I thought of today, what if I put my old hard drive back in after taking it out?

Mirage
09-30-2014, 11:35 AM
It'll work, as long as you didn't do a system update in the mean time. If you did, the PS3's firmware will be of a different version than the operating system stored on the HDD, and the PS3 will force you to reformat the drive.

Masamunemaster
10-01-2014, 01:51 AM
I got the most recent on the 20g so it should be ok. I'm just wondering in case I messed something up(I usually do).

Mirage
10-01-2014, 02:02 AM
If both are the most recent, it will work to just change it back. The mistake that there was an update waiting to be downloaded when I changed it, but I hadn't installed it yet. I did that after changing hard disks, and then the old HDD was left with the old version, while the actual PS3 system and new HDD had the new version. Changing back at that point wasn't possible without erasing everything on the old drive because the two pieces of hardware weren't of the same version anymore.

Oh yeah almost forgot. Be sure to have an USB storage stick or whatever with 500 MB free space, formatted with fat32. You'll need to download the OS to it from Sony's web site when you want to put the PS3 OS onto the ned HDD.

Masamunemaster
10-01-2014, 04:30 AM
I may need my buddies desktop then, this may take a while.

Mirage
10-01-2014, 11:06 AM
don't you have any sort of pc yourself? what are you posting from?

Masamunemaster
10-02-2014, 04:40 AM
My phone, I plan to build a laptop as soon as I get the money...