PDA

View Full Version : Would you name your kid after a game/fictional Character?

Colonel Angus
09-28-2014, 04:17 PM
The real-life FFVII name thread got me thinking, would/have you ever name one of your offspring after a character from a video game or any other fictional character? What do you think of others who've done it, like Kevin Smith naming his daughter Harley Quinn?

krissy
09-28-2014, 04:20 PM
"Want your house sold quickly and for a fair price! Call Sephiroth Baranowicz!"

Madame Adequate
09-28-2014, 04:22 PM
If it's good enough for Robin Williams it's good enough for me. Zelda Hobbes sounds p. good.

Chibi Youkai
09-28-2014, 04:39 PM
To be honest, it's almost unfair to the child to be stuck with an obvious name that links back to a game; it's almost putting a target on their heads that they really don't need sometimes. However, some names are generic enough that it wouldn't be too bad. I've always been fond of Oliver as a boy's name, or Natasha for a girl.

krissy
09-28-2014, 04:45 PM
zelda as a name has been around since before her legend

sephiroth is fairly new unfort. however, jenova is an ancient name, so that'd be fair game.

"Up next in our recital, please put your hands together for Jenova Swanderfurfer playing 'My Fair Lady' on the Ukelele!"

krissy
09-28-2014, 04:52 PM
i mean if a kid doesnt like being made fun of for being named after loz
they can be like 'actually you should google zelda fitzgerald mr. grade school bully"

"Want a deal on that used car? Call Solid Snake Jones, at 1-800-555-SOLID!"

Colonel Angus
09-28-2014, 05:46 PM
My kid won't have to worry about bullies, because they'll Jujitsu the trout out of them.

If I ever have twin boys, I'd most definitely name them Mario & Luigi. You don't waste an opportunity like that.

Dat Matt
09-28-2014, 06:12 PM
I would like to name my first Daughter Elie. Take a guess where I get the name from.

PS - It's not Last of Us.

~*~Celes~*~
09-28-2014, 06:16 PM
son #1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man
son #2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Reilly

My husband picked these names out. If I have a daughter her name will be Rosalie because it's a pretty name. Thankfully my sons' names are good names anyway!

Depression Moon
09-28-2014, 06:17 PM
yeah, cause she has two l's in her name.

For me/ That's the plan.

Shorty
09-28-2014, 07:39 PM
I've never played Zelda, but I freaking love the name Zelda. Will try to impose on the father of my children.

After watching Death Proof and falling in love with Rosario Dawson, I was super fixated on naming a daughter of mine Abernathy, but have kindof grown out of it. Also, I've always wanted to name a daughter of mine Valentine after Valentine Wiggin but was told I'm not allowed. Other than that, I can't think of too many fictional characters or famous people I'd want to name my kids after.

Ayen
09-29-2014, 01:46 AM
Probably. I've gone through a lot of names in my fictional stories and would probably recycle one of them. Most of them are regular names so no one would be the wiser. I like Zora too, and once named a character of mine that without realizing where it came from o.o

Yamaneko
09-29-2014, 04:55 AM
Seymour Butz will be very fashionable by the time I have kids.

Del Murder
09-29-2014, 04:57 AM
General Leo. :D

chionos
09-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Haven't named any kids after vidya game characters, but I did name my son after the titular character in George Eliot's Silas Marner with the hope that someday he would have a daughter and name her Eppie.

Bubba
09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
I would like to name my first Daughter Elie. Take a guess where I get the name from.

PS - It's not Last of Us.

MissH has already ruled out Joel for a boy and Ellie for a girl :(

Also, I love all of krissy's responses in this thread.

"Have you had an accident in the workplace? For a no win-no fee claim call Cid Hojo Gogo Zozo Highwind on 1-800-555-SITDOWNANDDRINKYOURGODDAMNTEA"

Pheesh
09-29-2014, 10:20 AM
I think Kairi is a really nice name for a girl, but I dunno that I would ever actually name my daughter that. Mostly because there's other names that I prefer more, and partially because I don't want them to have a weird first name to go along with their impossible to pronounce (outside of Italy at least) last name.

Loony BoB
09-29-2014, 10:39 AM
I both really want to have kids named after a video game characters, and really don't. xD I know the names we'll give to our first son/daughter, everything after that is up for grabs (although I suspect if we have two daughters I know the name for the second one already, too, and it's not from a video game).

Shauna
09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
partially because I don't want them to have a weird first name to go along with their impossible to pronounce (outside of Italy at least) last name.

You're talking crazy Mr Baffle, we can all totally pronounce your last name.

I probably won't name my kids after fictional characters, but that is not to say some fictional characters have nice names that I wouldn't add to the list of potential babby names. Nothing completely out there and bizarre though.

~*~Celes~*~
09-29-2014, 10:47 AM
inb4 Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca

Psychotic
09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm naming it Daniel (Fallout: New Vegas) or Steve (Minecraft) if it's a boy, and Ashley (Mass Effect), King Robert (A Game of Thrones) or Sarah (Final Fantasy I) if it's a girl.

blackmage_nuke
09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
No my kids are going to get a slightly uncommon but regular name to increase the chances that they grow up to be normal.

Maybe I'd pick something from fiction for a middle name but even then I'd choose a character that has a normal name.

escobert
09-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Nah.

Taiga
09-29-2014, 06:26 PM
I think naming your kid after a fictional character is a pretty nice idea. Why not connect your love for your favorite video game/movie/whatever with your love for your kid?

Of course, one should be considerate of one's kid's future and not name it... I don't know, Sephiroth or Lightning. But what's wrong with calling your daughter Yuna, for example? It's even a real Japanese name, as far as I know. Apart from that, there are tons of games and movies with characters that have totally common names.

It's still better than naming your kid after a brand (e.g. Apple) or after a city (e.g. Paris) in my opinion. ;)

noxious.sunshine
09-29-2014, 06:34 PM
If it's something moderately normal like Garnet then yeah.

Robin Williams is Robin Williams. He could do whateverthefuck He wanted as far as naming his daughter Zelda.

Anywho.. If I loved a fictional character enough, I'd consider naming my child after him or her.

Anything I come up with can't be worse than fucking "Khaleesi"

Ergroilnin
09-29-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't see any reason why not. Of course naming them with something very unique or foreign wouldn't be that good idea but some names are really nice and there is no reason why you should miss a name you love just because it's also in a video game.

Sephiroth
09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Sarah
Cecelia
Lydia
Tina
Terra
Celes
Vincent
Yuna
Ashley
Claire

Colonel Angus
09-29-2014, 11:27 PM
If I have a daugther, I want to name her Penelo B'nargin Bunansa. I kid you not.

For a boy, I'd name him either Charles or Franklin for the Peanuts characters.

Laddy
09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I've strongly considered it, to be honest. Naturally I'd want a name that doesn't stand out as especially offensive, though.

As Final Fantasy names go, Terra, Freya, Fran for girls and Vincent, Cecil, and Locke for boys are strong contenders. Otherwise I considered Annah from Planescape: Torment, Edwin from Baldur's Gate I and II, and Revan from KOTOR were names I fancied as well.

Let's be real though, these names are going to corgis because I don't want children. :p

metagloria
09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
If my wife and I have a son, his first name will be from a certain awesome television show (although it is a "normal" name) and his middle name will be from a certain guy who doesn't want to enter the Farplane with everyone else.

LadyJuxtaposition
10-03-2014, 10:16 PM
I actually know someone who named her kids after Zack and Cloud (because she commissioned me a drawing of them as their Christmas present, it was so sweet and heart warming!)

I would definitely named my kids after fictional characters as long they are good names and hold a sweet sound in them. For example, Zelda, Marth, Luigi, Midna, Cecil, Firion, Bartz, Terra...

I just realized I need to adopt a lot of cats and named them after my favorite characters! XD

Markus. D
10-05-2014, 12:19 PM
i literally got a legal name change and my last name is the same of that as character in a crappy series vampire/werewolf movies.

Pumpkin
10-05-2014, 02:16 PM
If its a name I like then yeah sure. Especially from like the Suikoden series there's a good number of normal names. Millie is a good one.

Also, a character from Fire Emblem is named Cherche. I looked up the pronunciation because I had no idea how it was pronounced, but I think we were wrong. Anyways, the way he pronounced it was like "Church" which I thought would be a stupid name for a child but it has since grown on me leaps and bounds and I especially love the spelling. But then I realized that if I do have a girl and name her that, she'll always have people not knowing how to pronounce her name and I know from experience that that can get really annoying, really fast.

Shiny
10-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Why would I want my child to live in the shadow of something else? I'd rather name him or her something so that people can remember them not the fictional character that came before them.

Old Manus
10-05-2014, 08:59 PM
I can't imagine anything cringier.

fire_of_avalon
10-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Yeah, but all names are derived from something else unless you just invent a name.out of the blue. I can't imagine I would ever name any kid I had after a Final Fantasy character, but I have always liked the name Roland which I had first exposure to in Browning ' poem and later in The Dark Tower series. The name Orlando derives from there as well. I don't think that's particularly cringe-worthy.

Also Auron is a cool name. :zombert:

Shiny
10-07-2014, 02:09 AM
I would invent a name. The name I'm thinking of most likely already exists, but I know it's not the name of any well-known fictional character so that's fine.

CAST VOX
10-07-2014, 03:00 AM
Sure, why not? I know an old lady named Zora. XD

There's nothing wrong with naming a kid after a fictional character. They're just as likely to live in the shadow of a real person they were named after; Muhammad, Jesus, and Alexander are a few good examples, I doubt most people can live up to those names.

I wouldn't give my kid a Japanese name though, if only because I'm not Japanese, and also because I don't live in a Japanese community. That's just my personal taste however. Something like Yuna is fine, but Kasumi is so obviously Japanese, that if you aren't, it's going to turn heads. On the other hand, a name like Bakura has several origins and meanings, and could easily be given to any boy; it's unique enough to stand out, yet doesn't sound too much like any one foreign culture.

Besides, lots of people are already named after fictional characters. Friedrich and Arthur are (largely) fictional characters that many people are named after. Naming your kid Sephiroth however, is absolutely retarded. It would be like naming your kid Mjølnir. I imagine many Orthodox Jews wouldn't appreciate it, especially considering the meaning of the word and it's significance in their beliefs.

Sephex
10-07-2014, 03:18 AM
I can't imagine anything cringier.

Says the man who has twins named Leon and Claire.

Source: My Old Manus fanfiction.

krissy
10-07-2014, 03:53 AM
"Leon! Claire! Stop making baby Jill into a sandwich!"

Pheesh
10-07-2014, 04:09 AM
I would invent a name. The name I'm thinking of most likely already exists, but I know it's not the name of any well-known fictional character so that's fine.

This is the thinking that gives us babies with names like North.

Arc_Master_14
10-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I having an odd name, Brady(okay not incredibly odd, but easily made fun of, god damn I hate the Brady Bunch), got made fun of a lot as a kid. So I think I'd be very conscious about my kids' names. Nothing unique and weird, but I would want to give them something meaningful. I could see me naming them something more normal, but still game inspired, Lulu, Leon, but I could never name a kid Cloud or Sora, etc.

And especially no weird names like North West, like come on if that kid wasn't rich as heck they'd get humiliated.

Vasher
10-09-2014, 08:18 AM
We toyed with the idea. Our first son was nearly Vash (or Vasher), his name is Ashton. Our second boy was nearly Odin (FF tie in, but mostly because of my ancestry), his name is Owen. I'm looking forward to number 3.

A friend of mine "stole" Alexander from me. It was the name I used (when it fit, Alex when it didn't) for all of my RPG characters (starting as far back as FFI, Dragon Warrior, Zelda, etc.). In FFI, my Fighter/Knight was always "Alex". We were in elementary school when those games came out. After playing at my house he started using Alexander (Alex) too. He named his boy Alexander.

I know someone that named their son Raistlin.

Pumpkin
10-09-2014, 03:23 PM
My name is Ashton

I'm a girl though. And there is an Ashton in a Star Ocean game

Psychotic
10-09-2014, 05:27 PM
I know someone that named their son Raistlin.You know them? I would've thought Raistlin's parents would have to be at least 150 by now.

Colonel Angus
10-10-2014, 12:31 AM
My name is Ashton

Sometimes names that aren't commonly unisexual are used in that manner.

There's this evil woman who writes for one of the local papers here who's name is Michael.

The other way, my cousin's wife has a male cousin named Hillary, which runs in her family. Also, Beverly used to be a popular name for boys in the South.

Masamunemaster
10-10-2014, 01:51 AM
My best friend is naming his next born soon Sylar.

Vasher
10-11-2014, 01:39 AM
:thumb::thumb:
My name is Ashton

:thumb:

Vasher
10-11-2014, 01:40 AM
I know someone that named their son Raistlin.You know them? I would've thought Raistlin's parents would have to be at least 150 by now.

A little older than that. I fart dust and piss rust, so...

DMKA
10-11-2014, 02:22 AM
No. Not because I have anything against the practice, but because I want to give my kids as little reasons as possible to be relentlessly mocked by their peers.

Jowy
10-12-2014, 05:34 AM
A little girl at a table I served one day was named "Aeris". Her parents had to scold her a lot, which is the only reason I knew her name.

DMKA
10-12-2014, 05:39 AM
A little girl at a table I served one day was named "Aeris". Her parents had to scold her a lot, which is the only reason I knew her name.

Well to be fair, her name could have been "Eris" which is pronounced exactly the same way, from Greek mythology.

Aulayna
10-12-2014, 04:17 PM
I've considered changing my own name to Aerith from time to time.

Arc_Master_14
10-13-2014, 06:10 PM
I've actually just been informed I actually am not allowed to name anything anymore since I name things based on physical traits. My gf fears I'd name a kid Lizafolos if they come out looking like a lizard.

Leesin
10-14-2014, 02:45 AM
Have you ever heard about Arabela? I love her and I will name my kid Arabela :)