PDA

View Full Version : Wasteland 2 anyone?

Vyk
09-29-2014, 04:10 PM
I know beta and early access has been open for an extremely long time. But the game is officially "done" and available for purchase at a more reasonable price. I picked it up on GOG so I wouldn't have to buy an extra copy off Steam for my girlfriend. Actually why I buy most games off GOG, and extremely glad DRM-Free is becoming an in thing these days

Anyway, I haven't seen a thread about it here, is anyone digging into this game, or had played early access or beta or anything? There are still quite a few technical issues being ironed out. One or two quest bugs I've heard about but not experienced, and a rather troublesome overheating issue that seems to be greatly affecting my girlfriend's computer, but not mine. Which is odd, since they're almost identical

Anyway, I'm probably a good 10 - 15 hours in, and greatly enjoying it. Lots of reading and choices and tactical combat. A very in depth and immersive world. I'm honestly surprised they managed to bend the Unity engine to accommodate such a game. But playing this right after enjoying dozens of hours of Divinity: Original Sin (everyone into Baldur's Gate style games needs to check that out, btw) it feels like Christmas has come early this year ^_^

And the fact that Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera are so close to being done, I feel deep and genuine anticipation that I haven't felt since childhood

I doubt I'm the only one enjoying Wasteland around here though. Anyone else?

Bolivar
09-30-2014, 02:11 PM
I want to, it looks great. Is the combat turn-based, real time with pause, or a combination of the two? Also, you mentioned having an extra copy for your girl, does this game have multiplayer? I'm thinking about grabbing this and Divinity on GOG for the same reason once they have a good deal on them.

Laddy
09-30-2014, 04:25 PM
It's turn-based like the early Fallouts.

I want it like mad but I'm so fucking poor right now I haven't played itvyet.

Vyk
09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Divinity has multi-player, which is pretty simple and painless. This one does not. They play extremely similar. I'm not sure if there is a pause, or if you can use it during an enemy turn. It's all about action points and initiative. I got it on GOG so it was DRM free, that made it possible to give my girlfriend one. But its from my account, so it's not really a spare or anything. If you're looking for good tactical multiplayer, definitely go with Divinity first. Sadly I can't compare this one to the original Fallout games as I got the Steam versions of those and they're broken, so I haven't really played the originals. I can compare this to XCOM or Shadowrun. The grid combat, with cover, and being able to either attack or go into a watch mode, which in here is called ambush. And I think XCOM and Shadowrun had player turn / enemy turn. This and divinity is all about initiative, so it goes back and forth, and shows you at the top what the turn order is. But in that regard you don't really need a pause button, you can hold off on your turn as long as you like. I think the realtime with pause are more like Baldur's Gate, and I know Pillars of Eternity is using that method when it comes out, but not this recent batch of games. Hopefully this helps clarify everything better

escobert
09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I want it, I see it everyday when I log into ArcheAge. I will have it someday.

Spuuky
10-01-2014, 02:27 AM
Waiting for the price to drop, although obviously I will love it when I play it.

Vyk
10-01-2014, 03:58 AM
I hear ya. Its hard to swallow $40 these days. Especially compared to Steam Sales and whatnot. But it could easily be $60. Both this and Divinity: OS are worth it. Fortunately the girlfriend has been helping me acquire the good stuff. So it doesn't hurt as badly lol