PDA

View Full Version : You're Making a Game. Yay!

Laddy
09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
You have millions of dollars and a dev team that will follow your ever whim and faithful adapt your vision as you will it. What do you make?

I would make a role-playing game with a stylized, neon-colored aesthetic complete alternative electro-rock soundtrack. The game would be well-written and be in a Cyberpunk setting with characters color-coded and based in anthropomorphic animals.

You assemble a party of three from a group of 8-9 characters. Each one has their own defined stats and skills but are open enough to develop their stats and choose their abilities to a degree. You can swap control of them on the fly in a non-linear urbanscape setting with limited adventure elements. Each character has their own unique out-of-combat skill (lockpicking, persuasion, stealth, etc) that allows you access to sidequests, more places to explore, and branching storylines. Characters are defined in personality and background but dialogue choices fleshes them out as you choose with a morally gray conflict.

Combat is turn-based and is seamless when engaged in battle. Characters have 5 action points that fill up like the ATB system, and your speed stat, your equipped weapon and skill in it, and your abilities each had an AP cost between 1-5allowing extra strategy. Combat is difficult but is fair. Attack and elemental properties as well as initiative when starting combat can potentially give an edge.

The plot is semi-nonlinear and there are several endings based on your own morally grey choices. Characters can die and romances exist. The main character is established in motive and role in the story but can be either gender and is somewhat more open-ended when it comes to character advancement. The writing can be darkly humorous and deals with themes of bigotry, order vs chaos, the greater good, and redemption or falling from grace.

You go.

Ayen
09-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Already answered this in another thread so I'll just copy paste.

Name: Tori's Investigations
Genre: Survival Horror
Mode: Single Player
Platforms: Microsoft Windows
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
Xbox 360
Xbox One
ESRB Rating: M
Engine: Ovega Game Engine
Developer: Ovega Gaming
Publisher: Ovega Gaming
Distribution: Optical disc, download

Description: Tori's Investigations stars a private investigator who deals in paranormal activity in the small mountain town of Moon Valley. Use your wits to battle against ghosts, zombies, vampires, werewolves, and demons. Solve the mysteries surrounding these strange supernatural occurrences before the city is plunged into chaos.

There would be five mysteries overall, each mystery dedicated to the supernatural entity I listed above. The first stage would take place in your traditional haunted house scenario. Since Tori is an investigator she would use gadgets, scanners, and cameras to track the ghost. There will be absolutely no weapons or means to fight any of the enemies in the game, hence having to use your wits. The ghost in the first stage would be able to manipulate the house to his will. Meaning that he could change the entire layout of the room to trap you, each trap acting like a puzzle you have to solve before the ghost gets to you. If the ghost manages to possess you the game is over. In order to defeat the ghost you need to discover who he is and where he was buried then dig up his bones and destroy them Supernatural style.

The second stage would be about a necromancer (which is revealed later) who raised the dead from the local cemetery to attack the town. They're bent entirely to the will of the necromancer, so in order to defeat them you have to take out the necromancer. Stealth elements would come into play this time around because you're not going to be able to take on a herd of zombies on your own. You can also set up booby traps in order to capture them. I admit I got that idea from Skyblade in one of the threads here. Once again, cleverly using your resources is how you're going to overcome this obstacle.

The third stage will cover vampires. I'm thinking of doing the old school “Kill the original vampire and the rest will turn back to normal” format for them. So you have to find out who the original vampire is. Many of the vampires who will be hunting you are townspeople recently turned, so you want to AVOID killing them at all cost. Vampires are natural born (or dead in this case) hunters. I'm not sure how I would implement it yet, but you'd need a way to mask your scent, otherwise sneaking by them isn't going to mean a damn. They'd just sniff you out, and once they identify your scent they'd be able to track you down with ease. Vampires are strong, fast, and have a high pain tolerance, they catch you, you're dead.

The fourth stage may be tricky because I don't want to be accused of ripping off The Wolf Among Us, but it's basically set in the premise of a werewolf being in town attacking people in the forest so you need to find out who it is and stop them. The best way to track him is doing the day, because once the full moon is up and the werewolf gets you he's going to tear you apart. This may be the only stage with a time limit, since the full moon last three days in a row, if you don't solve the mystery by the time the full moon cycle you're going to lose him and it will be game over. By day you track him down and by night you fortify yourself to keep the werewolf out.

The fifth and final stage will be when the demon comes in. It will be discovered that the city is connected to a hell dimension, which is the reason so many paranormal beings are attracted to it. Cue me paying Joss Whedon royalties. In the last stage someone opens the seal releasing a fire demon into the city. The objective would be to find the seal and close it before the demon kills you. All throughout the stage the demon is going to try to corner you and touch you. If he manages to touch you even once you'll instantly light up and burn you to death.

Markus. D
09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
i would buy out arena net and redo 97% of guild wars 2's campaign and "living story" flow, writing, dialogue and events. starting with the complete untimely disappearance of any treahearne assets/rough drafts/concept art. i would also completely redo the loot/gear system (in hopes to emulate the abstract concept of ... having fun!) and completely revamp the progression system and skill functionality across all professions.

Vyk
09-30-2014, 07:41 PM
A cyberpunk Red Wall. Not a bad idea. Not very true to form either. Which I like. Mine would be in the same vein. I'd probably make one of those isometric CRPGs set in a completely alien world. Probably similar to Planescape, but without all the complicated mysticism of other dimensions and whatnot. I want something that is just simply an alien planet. No alternate earth. No human rule. Just aliens. Possibly humanoids. But not actual humans

Alien locals. Alien weapons. Alien powers and abilities. Lots of different cultures and regional differences so there isn't any stigma of all Zerg are like this, or all Protheon are like that etc. Might even allow for space faring. But not beyond the solar system. I don't want mass effect. I just want to deeply explore alien cultures and save a civilization or two that isn't dependent on a human population

Now I am absolutely enamored with combat systems like XCOM: EU/EW and Divinity: OS, and now Wasteland 2. So I'd probably do combat like that, it really gives me my tactical rpg fix that games like Final Fantasy Tactics just doesn't scratch for me

Fox
10-01-2014, 01:15 AM
I have ambitions for a big PS1 Final Fantasy-esque RPG. I did some prototyping in Unreal Engine a while back, got as far as testing 3D navigation in a pre-rendered environment. Results were mixed and over time it has become clear that making the damn thing is not feasible - I'm actually going to have to get successful in games before​ I try and make my big successful game. It's still an ambition though, I have a whole intricate world and story planned out, I got some incredible concept art from some incredible artists, and huge chunks of game design has been done. One of the biggest areas I want to explore in terms of game mechanics is the way we do turn based combat. How many Final Fantasy games devolve into boosting your STR stat so you can just sit there mashing 'Attack'? Why do magic users always seem to have so many more options? Do you ever notice how you never ever use Ethers because they're just a bit too rare and you always save them for when you really need them, but then finish the game with a full supply?

Stuff like that is what I tackle in my designs. I don't like to reinvent the wheel, but instead fix the imbalances that we already see and create better solutions to problems that exist or have been tackled in other games.

I have 3 small games in development at the moment. One is a light RPG that will be taking some of those grand designs from my big ambitious game and dilute them into something more interesting and manageable for a smaller 2D game with management elements. Think Final Fantasy combat with XCOM base building.

Then I have a 2D Space game which is nearly finished and I'll let you guys play it if I can, and then a semi-real time semi turn based cyberpunk thing which I haven't really fleshed out much yet.

escobert
10-01-2014, 08:49 PM
DayZ on a better engine ;)

Denmark
10-01-2014, 09:33 PM
obviously a MOBA based on a military-themed fps

call of dota: $earch for ca$h $$$$

Dat Matt
10-06-2014, 11:18 AM
I posted an idea that I had for a game in the "Misogyny in video games" thread. I king of lied in there, the below idea is a game idea I've had for years, but never actually done anything about.

Set in "Generic Anime themed fantasy setting C" a our 15 year old female protagonist is walking through the woods and stumbles across a rusty sword. She takes it home with her to sell and is attacked by goblins in the road. She uses the rusty sword tor defense, it shines and turns into a katana like blade with 8 indents in the hilt, one of the holes is filled with a red gemstone which sets the blade ablaze. She uses this firebrand to fend off the goblins.

She learns shortly afterwards that this is a legendary sword and each of the holes, 4 on each side of the hilt which rotate and relate to different elements each with weaknesses. On the left side is Fire, Water, Wind and Earth. On the right is Light, Dark, Lightning and Ice. Each side can be combined leading to a total of 16 different elemental combination of weapons for super damage. Some enemies are are weak to specific attacks depending on which color they wear, so a red coloured goblin would be weak to water. You can combine the right elements to deal extra damage, like attacking with Water/Light creates holy water dealing huge damage to the undead.

Anyways, It's a side scrolling brawler and you advance through the game in order to collect different gemstones and save the world from "Evil dangerous situation 27".

That's about it, I always liked the idea of elemental manipulation so I thought up a game surrounding it.

Pumpkin
10-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I apologize for how long this will be

It would be an RPG based off of a story I've been writing (forever)

General Story: Heroes go save the world from corruption, one baddie at a time. Depending on game choices, this will vary

Battles: Picture FFX-2 minus the job switching. That's essentially what the battle style would be. Characters can be switched in and out in battle. There are 8 playable characters with 4 being used in battle at a time.

Abilities: Each character would have kind of their own "job class" that would determine which abilities they learn. They can learn abilities in 3 different ways:
-Leveling. They learn certain abilities automatically as they level up.

-Ability points. Think of FFX-2 again. There will be a list of abilities that require x amount of points to learn. Points are obviously gained in battle and are manually distributed. Some abilities can not be learned before another ability is learned or before reaching a certain level.

-Transfer. Abilities can be transferred from one character to another using ability points. HOWEVER, each character has an affinity with the abilities and the more afinity they have, the less points it will cost to have it transferred to them, and the more effective it will be in battle. Character compatibility will also play a part.

Example: Character A wants to transfer Fire to Character B. Character B has a C affinity with Fire. Therefore it will cost x amount of ability points for Character B to learn it and will only be 50% as effective as when Character A uses it (at full power). Character A and B have 80% affinity which will reduce the cost x%.

Elements: A big part of the story is different elements and each character will have their main element. This will affect the abilities they can use in battle, which environments they thrive in (or are made weaker in) as well as their elemental weaknesses and strengths. They will also absorb damage from their element.

This means that its important to select characters who will use the environment to their advantage (the fire elemental character in a volcano, or the water elemental character near a lake, etc).

Stats: The main stats will be Attack, Defense, Magic, Magic Defense, Accuracy, Evasion, Speed, and Luck. Each of the 8 characters will have a stat that they are best at and one they are worst at.

As a special bonus for those who max out the characters "strong stat" they will be given a special ability. For example, Character A's strong stat is evasion. Should the player max out Character A's evasion, they will be able to unlock a skill that allows the character to evade EVERY attack with that character without fail. (Evasion counts for physical attacks and not magical)

Missions: This game will play out through missions. Optional missions can be picked up by speaking to certain characters or checking on a job board. Some will have time limits, and they will have rewards. There will be specially marked "story missions" that progress the game.

Certain missions will only be completable by certain characters or even discovered by certain characters

Travel: There will be various means of transportation, but once traveled to a certain area, the player can teleport back to them.

Playing Characters: The player will be able to switch between all 8 characters freely, allowing them to play the game as them which will affect missions, NPC dialogue, affinity, dialogue choices, and switch between story lines when the characters have split up.

Affinity: Affinity between characters will affect dialogue, scenes, battles (how much one character heals another, etc), and combo attacks, as well as unlocking certain missions. Affinity can be raised in the following ways:

-Benefiting the other characters in battle. Healing them, giving them a status buff, etc.
-Using combo attacks
-Dialogue choices. Siding with one character over another, etc
-Participating with characters in missions (sending 2 off to do X mission together)

Affinity can be lowered, but it will be at a much slower rate.

Outfits: Characters will be able to change outfits separate from equipment. Equipment will boost stats but not effect looks, while different outfits will change looks but will do nothing for stats. There will be separate sections for both so they don't interfere with one another.

Items: As a little something different, items will only be usable OUTSIDE of battle.

Auto-Battle: There will be an auto-battle usable if the player chooses, which will allow the player to decide a strategy for each character (heal, use magic, etc). But the default for this will be off.

Overdrive: Each character will have an overdrive mode which will unlock special abilities for the character. Each overdrive mode gauge will build up differently depending on the character. (One may need to heal x amount of times, one may need to do x amount of damage, etc)

Mini-games: I'll add some silly mini-games in there like poker, fishing, bowling, window washing, mail delivery, etc

Endings: There will be several

That's my idea. There is more but that is the gist of it. Depending on dialogue choices and mission order, the game can come out differently depending, with everything from dialogue with NPC's to scenes changing depending on affinity, which is obviously very important to the game. Because of that there will also be multiple endings.

Shiny
10-08-2014, 10:17 PM
To be honest, unless I copyright the idea there's no way I'm sharing the entire concept, but it would be a survival horror with a mystery element. The main character would be a black female. :monster:

It would also be kind of a cool to also have an Inglorious Basterds video game because killing Nazis is grand ole time.

Dat Matt
10-09-2014, 08:23 PM
It would also be kind of a cool to also have an Inglorious Basterds video game because killing Nazis is grand ole time.

It's been done before

Source - every WW2 shooter ever

Sephex
10-10-2014, 02:56 AM
http://gunshowcomic.com/comics/20140711.png