PDA

View Full Version : ABC's #Selfie

Freya
10-01-2014, 06:35 PM
dQqozmwlE00

This aired last night. I was kinda worried from the name and what not but I watched it cause it has Doctor Who's Karen Gillian in it. And I love it! It's amusing and very tongue in cheek about the instant gratification culture.

I also like that they are presenting John Cho as the Love interest. It's not often you see someone of Asian, Korean in this case, descent as your main romantic interest. So that's great too. You know, diversity. Plus I just love John Cho in anything.

It was amusing and I needed a good sitcom as nothing's really caught my eye of late since so many have ended after long seasons or only had a short run. But #Selfie is funny and has enough self depreciating humor that I enjoy it.

Anyone else watch it? Thoughts?

Jinx
10-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I didn't watch it, but intend to. Maybe tomorrow!

Ayen
10-01-2014, 08:56 PM
I forgot it was on and I doubt I'll have time to catch up on the computer :eep: With my line of work it's easier just to have the TV running behind me when I'm not using it for something else. Ever since Buffy was cancelled I'm not used to Tuesday having anything on that I want to watch.

Freya
10-01-2014, 09:23 PM
It's on hulu for freeeeee. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/675805)

Shauna
10-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't know how I feel about it. I do kind of hate MC, because I do genuinely dislike when people are unable to not be on their phone/connected at any point. Hey we're out to hang out, glad you can detach yourself from the internet for two seconds! But I think that is the point at this stage. I didn't find it particularly funny either, but I think that stems from my immediate revulsion at the MC. Maybe it will ease up as she slowly becomes more tolerable.

I will maybe watch another episode or two (three episode rule!) and decide where to go from there.

Freya
10-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Maybe I just identified with it because I once worked with a girl who when introducing herself, she was a holiday hire, she told me she was "kinda efamous so...."

So i'm like "LOL it's chelsea!"

Jinx
10-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Yeah, with sitcoms you kind of have to give it 3-5 episodes to really find its stride. The only show I've encountered where it hit the ground running in the pilot was Raising Hope.

Downloading it now!

Jinx
10-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Alright, just finished the first episode!

I liked it. I thought it moved kind of fast, but it had some good moments. I think it has a lot of potential. HOWEVER, I'm betting it'll be lucky to not get a mid-season cancellation. If it does get picked up for the full season, I wouldn't bank on a second season. I could be wrong, but it's got CANCELLATION written all over it.

One other thought: things I'm reading seem to imply Karen Gillan was using an American accent? What? She definitely sounds full-blown Scottish. I like her a lot, but between this and Guardians of the Galaxy, it's become pretty obvious she has a hard time dropping the accent.

Shauna
10-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Nope she was definitely working hard to remove that accent. Didn't sound like a Scottish person, just... Just sounded a bit weird, really. Like there were points when she had certain inflection on words, and I was like "Well done getting that American on lolnope", but overall she did not so bad. I guess.

EDIT: Watched part of it again... she definitely has dropped her Scottish accent. It is quite a pronounced difference.

Jinx
10-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I was curious how you thought she sounded, being Scottish yourself. I guess I speak for myself here, but as an American, her accent sounds very blatant (especially in comparison to the rest of the cast). I'm not sure why she needed to get rid of it anyways, since the show is set in NYC.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy, I can't say if she was trying to get rid of her accent or not. Just that it was still pretty clear.

Again: I like Karen Gillan a lot, but I think she'd benefit from working very seriously with a voice coach. And for all I know, she probably does.

Shorty
10-01-2014, 11:16 PM
She sounded totally American in Guardians of the Galaxy to me.

I have nothing to add about the show. Will probably not watch it because there are a billion other things on my backlog that interest me more, and I can always just go watch My Fair Lady instead.

Shauna
10-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Aye, as I put in my edit, I watched a few clips there and she is definitely far removed from a Scottish accent (in those clips, at least). As you said, maybe you can hear it more because she's putting on a fake American accent, and I am just hearing "not the accent she should have".

Jinx
10-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Well, Shorty says that she thinks she sounds very American in GotG...I dunno, I definitely didn't even think she was trying to get rid of her accent in GotG.

However, all the reviews I'm reading for #Selfie are implying her accent was awful though. So it seems like she hasn't really found her footing with the accent thing, but doesn't sound like her Scottish self to Scots, either.

I'm willing to admit that part of it could be that I'm just so used to hearing her, I hear her accent always. And it also could be the tonal quality of her voice as well.

Ayen
10-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Just finished watching the pilot. I ranged from liking it, to annoyed, to not liking it, to it giving me feels, to liking it again. Oh, God, I said feels.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-02-2014, 04:46 AM
https://twitter.com/The_Doolio

I like when shows and games go above and beyond with promotion and give their characters real twitters.

Jessweeee♪
10-02-2014, 05:34 AM
I haven't watched it yet, I'm going to wait until at least halfway through the season probably before I give it a shot :p

Freya
10-06-2014, 09:14 PM
The official account based from the show just followed me. I'm fangirl squealing. also funny one liners for some reason. Probably because I retweet sephex's puns.

Ayen
10-07-2014, 12:52 AM
The official account based from the show just followed me. I'm fangirl squealing. also funny one liners for some reason. Probably because I retweet sephex's puns.

I'm like totally jealous.

Freya
10-08-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm amused by this show after she goes to goodwill, "i know I smell like old people" I giggled.

Shauna
10-09-2014, 06:50 PM
I enjoyed this episode more. Even got a chuckle or two from me!

Ayen
10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I forgot it was on again. This time I have a good excuse, I haven't slept since Saturday.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-14-2014, 10:02 AM
"You're hotter than the bottom of my laptop".

Also, I like how creating a Facebook page takes approximately 2 seconds :grover:

Freya
10-15-2014, 03:17 PM
This goes to show you that if you look hard enough you can find someone online somewhere.

Jinx
11-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Welp. Selfie's cancelled. Called it.

Shlup
11-08-2014, 03:58 AM
I confess that I got into this show for John Cho. I have a total thing for him, and I liked the character he played. The main character was obnoxious, but that was kind of the point of her and I was looking forward to seeing her develop...

My TV calendar said the show was "certain to be cancelled" though so no surprise there. A sitcom presented on the basis of the main character being an obnoxious woman didn't really stand a chance.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-08-2014, 04:24 AM
No, this is not acceptable :colbert:

Freya
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
It made it further than the others. It was being said to get cancelled first but A to Z and then Manhattan Love Story. Among a bunch of others. I dunno, 4.7 million averages views to me is a good but not for network tv. Which is funny because that's awesome for some HBO shows.

This is almost as upsetting as the B in apt 23 cancellation :(

Shauna
11-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I am unsurprised by this revelation.

Jinx
11-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Actually Manhattan Love Story was the first cancellation of the season.

Freya
11-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Ahh I had them backward, I know they were cancelled very close to each other. Which I liked all of them :(

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-09-2014, 06:50 PM
This was a funny and endearing show about someone who spends too much time on social media, fashion and celebrity buzz and someone who's a workaholic, and what they can learn from each other to improve themselves. Henry and Eliza are good examples of opposites attracting.

And they better kiss in the season finale. Assuming it airs :argh:

Jinx
11-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I guess that the people the show was trying to target were too busy on Instagram to notice...

Sephex
11-10-2014, 04:24 AM
The show seemed alright.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-13-2014, 05:57 AM
Urineversity of Bladderfornia.

Welp. Selfie's cancelled. Called it.

Congratulations