PDA

View Full Version : Blonde-haired Hispanics and Latinas: have you ever seen or met any?

SuperMillionaire
10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
As with my other Hispanic and Latino-themed thread in the Eyes on Each Other section of this forum, the period from September 15 to October 15 is known as Hispanic Heritage Month in the United States, so I figured that I'd ask this question too.

Have you ever seen or met a blonde-haired Hispanic or Latina? The reason why I'm asking this is because I previously never thought they existed, because all of the Hispanics and Latinas that I've ever seen had either black or brown hair. But that all changed one day when I went to my church, where I met a blonde-haired woman who hails from the South American country of Argentina. I told her that I had never seen or met a blonde-haired Hispanic before, and that if I had seen her just walking down the street, I would have never thought that she was Hispanic, because she certainly didn't look like it; it was only when she spoke to me that it was revealed that she is an immigrant from Latin America, because when she speaks English, she has a thick Spanish accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blond

But then, I did the research, and I found out that unlike all of the other countries in Latin America, Argentina has a lot of blondes. Their culture is more European in nature than the rest of Latin America, and they received a lot of immigrants from countries such as Germany, which has a lot of blondes. Argentinians are indistinguishable from white Americans, because they both descend from Europeans; the only difference is that Argentinians speak Spanish.

So I wonder: have any of you ever seen or met a blonde-haired Hispanic or Latina? Or if not, did you know that they exist?

CAST VOX
10-01-2014, 07:09 PM
The reason Argentinians have so many blonde haired blue eyed people is due to the immigration of Germans to Argentina directly after WWII.
I would think that for the most part the number of Hispanic blondes a country has is correlated to how close it is to the U.S. or Brazil.

And yes, I've met some Hispanics with blonde hair and blue eyes. The combined traits of darker-than-peach skin and blonde hair is rather exotic-looking and their blue eyes clash with their skin color, which creates a very striking look. The few I've met are quite attractive.

Shorty
10-01-2014, 07:10 PM
It can be a surprise meeting someone from a Latin Hispanic country with blonde hair and blue eyes, yeah. Obviously when you hear that someone is hispanic, you subconsciously expect them to probably have tan or olive skin and brown or black eyes and hair, just like you would expect a person of asian heritage to have specific features and hair/eye colors.

Families and colonies probably moved to those areas and have since grown and developed there and as such, they have integrated with the indigenous people there. It's all about the melting pot of cultures, I guess!

noxious.sunshine
10-01-2014, 11:28 PM
I watched this show called "Tequila Sisters" - about a family who's father is a tequila importer.

They're very much Mexican, but the girls and their mother are all blonde. I can't remember what part of Mexico the mom is from though.. I believe Veracruz.

But it also depends on their heritage. A girl or guy can be 100% Mexican, for example, but if they have blonde or red hair, then most likely have -some- type of European in their bloodline and the gene just stayed dormant for so many years.

Not saying that's always the case, but yeah.

Shiny
10-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Blond-haired Latinos are not shocking to me. What is shocking to me, is that people are shocked when anyone who isn't white has anything other than brown skin, brown eyes, or brown hair. This really isn't that amazing or uncommon. And to answer your question, yes. I've seen many naturally blond Latinos/Latinas. It's very common for people to have blond hair who are of Colombian descent.

Vasher
10-02-2014, 07:18 AM
I dated a girl/cheated on my hs gf with a girl from Argentina. Blonde hair and green eyes.

Latinos come in a wide variety. Some are closer to their European ancestors, while others are more/completely "Indio".

My wife is from Central America, but her family background has a heavy European influence, so many of them have blue/green eyes and some have blonde/light brown hair. They are also lighter skinned than most Latinos.

My wife has dark hair and brown eyes. Our first son has dirty-blonde hair with very light highlights (some people still think we have it done at a salon), but our baby boy is so light blonde that people ask my wife silly questions. After being asked "oh, you're his mom?", some have been so bold as to follow up with "so you GAVE BIRTH to him?" and one lady even said "there is no way that baby came out of your vag ina". Curly blonde hair, baby blue eyes, I have to remind my wife that those are her blue eyes and her blonde hair also (not possible otherwise).

Depression Moon
10-02-2014, 08:21 AM
You know Latino/ Hispanic isn't a race right? All it means is that they have cultural roots that tie back to Spain and Portugal. I'm also surprised that you've never seen Shakira before, because that's a blonde Latina right there.

noxious.sunshine
10-02-2014, 11:39 PM
So much what Depression Moon said. You're supposed to call them what they are- Mexican, Salvadoreño, Cubano, etc. I meant to say that before, but I didn't know how to word it.

Vasher: When my girl was a baby, people questioned me allllll the time cuz she was so tan, brown hair, Brown eyes
... We looked nothing alike when she was a baby. We look more alike now that she's grown a lot more, but there are still big differences. I'm mega jelly of her amazing year-round tan. And she has the cutest 2 front teeth- like a little bunny rabbit with the tiniest gap. Our eyes scrunched up the same when we smile, though. And her hair is still Brown where mine is auburn, but her head of hair is awesome just like mine. Lol

Del Murder
10-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Eventually we're all just going to blend together and no one will be able to tell the difference.

Shiny
10-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Eventually we're all just going to blend together and no one will be able to tell the difference.

This is the ideal and also the inevitable as it's already happening.

Shorty
10-03-2014, 01:56 AM
You know Latino/ Hispanic isn't a race right? All it means is that they have cultural roots that tie back to Spain and Portugal. I'm also surprised that you've never seen Shakira before, because that's a blonde Latina right there.

So much what Depression Moon said. You're supposed to call them what they are- Mexican, Salvadoreño, Cubano, etc. I meant to say that before, but I didn't know how to word it.

In this case, we're referring to what could possibly be a vast group of people that are not limited to Mexicans, Cubans, Venezuelans, etc.

This is the definitive definition of "hispanic":

His·pan·ic
hiˈspanik/
adjective
1. of or relating to Spain or to Spanish-speaking countries, especially those of Latin America.
noun
noun: Hispanic; plural noun: Hispanics
1.a Spanish-speaking person living in the US, especially one of Latin American descent.

I've never heard of a single person being unhappy at being called hispanic. It's a legitimate term of reference.

Depression Moon
10-03-2014, 02:06 AM
I heard in Brazil they prefer the term Latino over Hispanic because Hispanic suggests that they speak Spanish.

Shiny
10-03-2014, 02:17 AM
A few Dominicans I know get really annoyed by people calling them Hispanic because they believe it infers that they're Spanish. *shrug* I just say Latino or Dominican. It's not like anyone who looks at a person is going to be able to know if they're are Dominican, Venezuelan,a etc. This is the same thing I think when Jamaicans are annoyed when they're called African. No one knows what anyone is by looking at them so best just not label them as any assume race or culture, or keep it as general as possible. :monster:

Yamaneko
10-03-2014, 06:35 AM
I haven't seen or met them, but I've read that the Mediterranean had its share of blond Latins some 1,600 years ago. Although admittedly most were probably dark-haired.

Psychotic
10-03-2014, 07:29 AM

This is the ideal and also the inevitable as it's already happening.But...but...what about the gingers?!

Old Manus
10-03-2014, 09:28 AM
The preferred term is 'people of rouge hair'. Check your privilege.

Psychotic
10-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I have people of rouge hair friends so I can't be gingerist.

Ayen
10-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I could have walked past one on the street and never know. I don't keep a look out for such things.

SuperMillionaire
10-08-2014, 06:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that she dyed her hair, because I've seen previous album covers that depicted her as a brunette.

Shiny
10-08-2014, 10:07 PM

I'm pretty sure that she dyed her hair, because I've seen previous album covers that depicted her as a brunette.
Couldn't it be just as plausible to believe that she dyed her hair brown? Side note though, people's hair changes color naturally too in the sunlight. Sometimes people with lighter blond hair get more of a dirty blond during months with less sunlight. It happens to my hair too. I actually have blond parts in my hair during the summer and it's much lighter.

krissy
10-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Ya sun change s my hair color to o
It's pretty cool
Going super saffian
Sayian

Colonel Angus
10-15-2014, 05:01 AM
This thread is pointless w/o pics.

Bolivar
10-15-2014, 05:31 PM
The image of a Latino which most people have in their heads is because its the poorer ones who emigrate to other countries and they're unfortunately usually darker. Next time you go past the Spanish Channel look around for a minute and you'll probably see a lot of white people.

Most of us have dark hair due to mixed heritage, not just from the conquest of the New World but also from when the Moore's occupied Spain. My sister-in-law's mother is dirty blonde but I guess that's close enough to brunette anyhow.

SuperMillionaire
10-18-2014, 09:46 PM

Couldn't it be just as plausible to believe that she dyed her hair brown? Side note though, people's hair changes color naturally too in the sunlight. Sometimes people with lighter blond hair get more of a dirty blond during months with less sunlight. It happens to my hair too. I actually have blond parts in my hair during the summer and it's much lighter.

How exactly does that process work?

DMKA
10-18-2014, 10:01 PM
I have two Mexican cousins (as in, they were born, raised, and still live in Mexico) who are natural blondes, and they have a sister who's a redhead. They all have green eyes. Contrary to popular belief there's a pretty large number of fair skinned, blonde Mexicans. They just don't fit the common stereotypical image the average American has of Mexicans. You've probably seen a good share of them, you just had no idea they were of Mexican descent.

There's a pretty good number of latino celebrities who most people have no idea are latino because of this too. Cameron Diaz is Mexican, for example.

Shlup
10-19-2014, 12:40 AM
I haven't really taken note of it. I do know a couple of Ginger Mexican guys though. They are so damn gorgeous it makes me melt a little.

rubah
10-19-2014, 09:34 PM
How exactly does that process work?

You stay in the sun

Your hair is bleached by the sun.

From the late 1960s to the 1980s in particular, especially at the time of the hippy, the surfer style was characterized by thick, long, bleached, often curly blond hair, bleached intensively by the sun and the saltwater.[4] The hair of surfers is often damaged and bleached, brought about by frequent exposure to sunlight, humidity and salty water.[5] Blonder or red headed individuals tend to be more affected, given that their pheomelanin is more sensitive.[5]

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=17341.0

Basically the solar radiation destroys the melanin-compounds in hair which are not replaced, unlike skin, which produces more melanin-containing skin cells constantly. Hair also produces more, but it grows much much more slowly than skin, and isn't sloughed off in copious amounts daily, so you see it stick around.

Loony BoB
10-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Cameron Diaz is Mexican, for example.
American of Cuban/European descent. :) But yeah, Hispanic.

Shorty
10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Another example of a blonde-haired, blue-eyed hispanic person: Guillermo del Toro.

http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/guillermo-del-toro.jpeg

This dude looks white as trout but was born in Guadalajara.

Colonel Angus
10-22-2014, 01:41 AM
I think his hair is more light brown than blond.

Loony BoB
10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Definitely not blonde. People are very liberal with their use of 'blonde' these days though, I'm not really sure why.

escobert
10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
yeah that is most definitely not blond hair.

But yeah hair can get darker over age. When I was a child I had platinum blond hair. It's a very light brown to very dirty blond now. Also summer time if I'm outside a lot it will lighten up.

Shiny
10-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Cameron Diaz is Mexican, for example.
American of Cuban/European descent. :) But yeah, Hispanic.
Red-haired, freckled face Louis C.K. is of Mexican decent -- he has a Mexican daddy. Appearance means very little when fully determining someone's cultural background or ethnicity. I look Hispanic and I have 0 percent Hispanic blood. Louis C.K. looks Scottish and Irish and is 50 percent Hispanic.

Hannibal_Khan
10-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Europeans are not the only people who have blonde hair you know!

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/black-and-blond-the-origin-of-blond-afros-in-melanesia.html

About a quarter of the Melanesian population in the Solomon Islands archipelago has an extremely unusual trait – dark skin with blond hair

Blond (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blond) hair is exceptionally rare outside Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe), but evolved independently in Melanesia[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanesians#cite_note-8) where Melanesians of some islands (along with someAustralian aborigines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_aborigines)) are the non-white people to have brown and blond hair. This has been traced to an allele of TYRP1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TYRP1) unique to these people, and is not the same gene that causes blond hair in Europe.

(Fun Fact: Genghis Khan had red-hair, freckles, and green eyes)

Also, whats with this guys threads?? their all about white ppl and mexicans lol. He's clearly very eurocentric in his thinking.

Shiny
10-23-2014, 04:47 AM
A black person that is Eurocentric. Interesting concept.

Mahad
10-23-2014, 05:38 AM
I have met my fair share of white-skinned Mexicans, so it's not unusual for me to come across one. There's a region of Mexico with a sizable population of them apparently, but I have never been to it nor remember the name of the state. Anyways, I have a friend at uni who is half Mexican, half Irish; she's got white skin and her hair has a reddish tone, and some light freckles. You would never think she's partly Hispanic by looking at her. As far as blondes go, I think Colombians and Argentinians are the ones most likely to have blonde hair, but I have seen a few Venezuelan women on tv with it too. Also, Shakira's hair is not naturally blonde. Have a look at her history and beginnings, she's changed immensely through out her career (too much actually, but that's just my opinion); I think she's half Lebanese from her father's side, too.

Araciel
10-24-2014, 05:22 AM
It's too cold up here for those types.

SuperMillionaire
10-29-2014, 05:52 PM
I had a feeling that Shakira isn't a natural blonde, judging by her previous album covers. And yes, she's part Lebanese.

Also, while I don't think that Colombia has any blondes, I do know that Brazil does have at least a few blondes, because I just remembered that Brazilian supermodels Gisele Bundchen and Ana Hickmann have naturally blonde hair (I completely forgot about that earlier, but upon doing the research, I rediscovered it). Both of these supermodels are of German descent, and Brazil also received a lot of immigrants from Germany, as did Argentina. Runway fashion model Milagros Schmoll is from Argentina, and is also of German descent; she also has naturally blonde hair.

Also:

I heard in Brazil they prefer the term Latino over Hispanic because Hispanic suggests that they speak Spanish.

That's right, because in Brazil, they speak Portuguese. They are technically not "Hispanic" because they were conquered by Portugal instead of Spain, but because the Portuguese language is very similar to the Spanish language, Brazil is included in the definition of Latin America, and thus, Brazilians are still Latinos.

noxious.sunshine
10-29-2014, 06:09 PM
I have met my fair share of white-skinned Mexicans, so it's not unusual for me to come across one. There's a region of Mexico with a sizable population of them apparently, but I have never been to it nor remember the name of the state. Anyways, I have a friend at uni who is half Mexican, half Irish; she's got white skin and her hair has a reddish tone, and some light freckles. You would never think she's partly Hispanic by looking at her. As far as blondes go, I think Colombians and Argentinians are the ones most likely to have blonde hair, but I have seen a few Venezuelan women on tv with it too. Also, Shakira's hair is not naturally blonde. Have a look at her history and beginnings, she's changed immensely through out her career (too much actually, but that's just my opinion); I think she's half Lebanese from her father's side, too.

Veracruz and Jalisco come to mind in terms of where natural blondes occur more often, but I could be entirely wrong. I remember reading about it somewhere and I can't find the article.

Polnareff
11-02-2014, 03:58 PM
I've met several. I think it's funny how people deny that other people are some nationality because of their traits. I get told all the time I'm not black because my hair isn't nappy. :eep:

Shiny
11-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I've met several. I think it's funny how people deny that other people are some nationality because of their traits. I get told all the time I'm not black because my hair isn't nappy. :eep:

Word, and I get told I'm not black because my skin is light. People are just ignorant.

SuperMillionaire
11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
There are whites in the Saharan Desert part of Africa, as well as in the country of South Africa, and they have blondes there (think actress Charlize Theron).

Anyway, back to Spanish and Portuguese blondes in Argentina and Brazil.

Shauna
11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
as well as in the country of South Africa, and they have blondes there (think actress Charlize Theron).

That's because of the Dutch, I believe.

black orb
11-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Have you ever seen or met a blonde-haired Hispanic or Latina? The reason why I'm asking this is because I previously never thought they existed
>>> You are kidding right?..:luca:

Shiny
11-06-2014, 01:27 AM
Spanish and Portuguese blondes in Argentina and Brazil.
They're not just in those two countries as we've already said.

black orb
11-06-2014, 01:50 AM
>>> Argentine are more related to Italians than Spaniards..:luca:

SuperMillionaire
12-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Yes, there are a lot of Italians in Argentina, but the blondes came from Germany.

And there's a term for the typical appearance of a Latino, which is brown skin, brown eyes, and black or brown hair; it's called "mestizo." It refers to people of mixed European and indigenous heritage. In other Latin American countries, mestizos are dominant, but in Argentina, whites are the majority.