PDA

View Full Version : ASMR videos

Shiny
10-02-2014, 10:11 PM
This is getting pretty big...well actually it's already really big. Comedians are starting to talk about it now: http://youtu.be/J9VXJPB3Eq0 Warning: video contains some profanity.

When I started getting in to whispering videos after watching Big Brother 8 or 10 After Dark (can't remember but it was the one with Evil Dick) where most of the dialogue was them whispering. Then I realized it was very comforting and de-stressing so I sought out to watch more of these types of YouTube and I listen to people like WhisperingLife and WhisperingVoice back when it wasn't very big.They have really pleasant and calming voices. Now there's other types of relaxation videos becoming popular that are very that have everything from rain noises to brushing noises. A lot of people find me weird and think it's a fetish, which it isn't for me. Total non-sexual, and totally for comfort and to help me sleep, but they have roleplaying relaxation videos for people in to that too. xD

What do you do to de-stress or sleep? Are you in to asmr or whispering videos?

Vyk
10-02-2014, 11:17 PM
I remember Rhett and Link talking about this once, and they suggested everyone watch this one video that went through a variety of sounds and ranges of hertz and whatnot so that anyone watching could figure out what triggers the goosebumps. ASMR I believe covers more than just whispering, but its not quite white noise either. And white noise has become quite popular along side it. I listen to Star Trek TNG engine noise as white noise to sleep to when my girlfriend isn't around (even though she falls asleep to netflix, youtube, and a variety of fans and machines in the room, she has some weird issue with me listening to music and specific white noise while we try to sleep). I've yet to figure out if any type of whispering or hair brushing noises do anything for me

The videos you watch, are they just calming, or have you found the particular frequency that sets your body off? Indeed it isn't really a sexual thing, though it can be arousing. But that's just because it's a physical response. Goosebumps is the most frequent response. I need to go give myself goosebumps

Shiny
10-03-2014, 01:49 AM
I usually watch videos that have typing, whispering, or eating particular foods as those set off the tingling sensation in my head and it usually makes me sleepy so I fall asleep quite often with my headphones still on. Ironically, it has to be certain foods, because the sound of people eating things like apples or chewing gum actually does the exact opposite of relaxing me.

Night Fury
10-03-2014, 05:57 AM
I like ASMR videos.

I actually like the roleplay ones, it's not a sexual thing for me either I just like the overall calming sensation I get. I usually only watch the haircut roleplay and make up roleplay because the sound of scissors cutting hair. Omg... so much tingling! And I also like the sound of make up brushes and stuff. There is this one video that I love, I think it's UnicornWhispers Spa roleplay? Or something and it knocks me out everytime. She has the most adorable little russian accent, and she's just playing with water and putting on a face mask but it sounds so nice. It freaks me out, like how much I enjoy the sounds and how it calms me.

I also have misophonia and the sound of people eating will send me into an angry mood and I don't understand it it just does. So how I have the complete opposite reaction to other sounds is weird to me.

Araciel
10-03-2014, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycgSzc4Grdo

edit - also vulgarity.

Psychotic
10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
I tried it because of this thread but god damn all this whispering is fucking gross with all that lip smacking.

Freya
10-03-2014, 06:23 PM
I tried it because of this thread but god damn all this whispering is smurfing gross with all that lip smacking.
that

escobert
10-03-2014, 06:51 PM
I just have my fish tank water making ambient noise for me in my room :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-03-2014, 09:44 PM
You know me. I could go on all day about ASMR videos. Well, I could go on for a partial day because then I'd fall asleep due to insane relaxation. Here are some good ones. I watch ASMR videos almost every night.

BRSH8oUU8qg

wzd8wddkxwg

Vyk
10-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Should be noted:

Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)

Is not strictly whispering. It covers a wide range of sounds that are relaxing and give a characteristic tingle sensation in your brain-case. Usually coupled with goosebumps

I admit the whispering kinda gets to me too. But once in a while you find someone who does it just your style as well. So whatever. Not many people are going to have the same response to the same videos. It's a wide range of responses to all sorts of stimuli. And sometimes whispers just aren't it. Brushes, bristles, scratching, tapping, turning of book pages, soft breathing, chewing of certain types of foods. There's a whole world to explore. Though I imagine there are people who have no response to ASMR stimuli. Which would be sad, but since I've never experienced one I guess I have no reason to feel sympathy for them. But then again, I kinda want that. I've just never been driven to go out and look for it. Sorry if I'm repeating some things from my other post. Didn't feel like going back and re-reading it to make sure :3

Shiny
10-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Okay, close-minded people, there are plenty of other types of ASMR videos that don't have whispering or people talking in them. There's a wide variety to choose from and I think most people would be surprised that something is able to relax them and give them a tingling sensation in their spine, neck, and head. Just have to find the right thing.

Psychotic
10-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I came in with an open mind! I tried it out and didn't get it. I'm willing to give it another shot - which videos would you recommend that doesn't have a blonde girl whispering at me?

Shiny
10-05-2014, 04:47 AM
There's such a large variety. I had no idea where to begin. Recently I found a video of a cat purring for 8 minutes. There's a video of a guy putting legos together, typewriter noises, sweeping, vacuuming, opening a box xD I mean there's a lot. There's a lot of videos out there that don't give me a relaxing response, but triggers for other people. Definitely a good alternative to taking sleeping pills.

chionos
10-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Almost all of it annoys the piss out of me. I can't take it. It actually causes a lot of tension. All of it except a cat purring. That's my sound. Best sound in the whole world.

Ayen
10-05-2014, 06:37 AM
This ordeal is entirely new to me so I haven't experimented with it much. I know from some digging that there are people who can't experience ASMR.

Some damn good videos on YouTube, though.

Miriel
10-05-2014, 11:29 AM
I tried it because of this thread but god damn all this whispering is fucking gross with all that lip smacking.

I fucking HATE the whispering and lip smacking. Ughghghg.

For me, a huge chunk of the ASMR stuff that works for some people, borders on triggering my misophonia, which is kind of the opposite of what you want. It makes my skin crawl. The stuff that works best for me and gives me that amazingly relaxed sensation are the unintentional stuff. Where people aren't deliberately trying to whisper and make unnatural sounds/movements. Like, why is that person tapping on a hairbrush for no god damn reason? It's so distracting.

But people like Bob Ross and Mr. Rogers for sure relax me. Because while I think they are trying to be calming, they're not doing it in a forced sort of way. My absolute favorite videos which trigger my asmr I won't ever share because I don't want anyone else discovering it and then get the person creeped out so that she deletes her videos. They're totally unintentional, they're tutorials, and I've been watching them to put myself to sleep for like 5 years, before I knew this was a thing, or that anyone else even experienced it.

People doing my hair or makeup in real life always give me the best asmr tingles. Relaxes the fuck out of me and I'll usually end up falling asleep. Oh and weirdly enough, getting my eyebrows done. But that's mostly because the girl I go to has the most relaxing voice ever, and she just sort of drones on while she meticulously does my brows.

That meticulous, deliberate movement is also part of ASMR for me. Which is why I tend to like the videos where things are being made. Like this Leica video: http://vimeo.com/41869140

After I discovered ASMR, I realized this was the reason why I probably like boring ass movies where people soothing voices chat to each other and do things like make cake, or write letters. Boring but relaxing. I think this is part of the reason why I loved the Downtown Abbey scenes where they're just cleaning shit up or setting the table.

Shiny
10-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I love Bob Ross and his happy little trees. He was actually some of the first videos I looked for when I was having trouble sleeping. That Leica was great until ripping started. I can't deal with ripping sound, but it reminds me of a doc we had to watch in middle school about painting eggs and it was super close up. Watching the person draw, paint, and carve on the egg that smurfing sound omg. I must find that doc.