PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros 3DS & WiiU

Endless
10-03-2014, 02:04 PM
So, as of today/yesterday/tomorrow, SSB4 is released, and so far so good.

This thread is a multipurpose thread :

- find people to play with (the game allows online play with friends : FFA or team matches)
- talk about strategies for the various game modes and minigames
- help unlocking items/characters/stages/trophies...
- boasting : the game ranks you based on how many people you outperform for a number of games, but it doesn't say where you are placed. At least here we can see who's the king of the hill. ;)

So far I unlocked 4 characters, and out of my roster, my most played are Kirby (<3) and Megaman (team nostalgia). I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the controls for some reason, whereas on the GC/Wii I didn't feel I had any issue. It doesn't help that my 3DS is the old small model, too.
I'm still working on the first set of challenges, and I managed to get a nice 629.2m in home run with DK.

And my FCs: 3840 - 6225 - 6776 if it uses the old 3DS code, and Airelle if you go with Nintendo Network ID.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I haven't picked this up yet but I did download the demo. I'm super hyped for it after seeing this Fire Emblem trailer!

q_7eUkhW5k8

Nicolas
10-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Finally got to play a little last night. Probably about two matches, really. The controls do feel like they're taking a while to get used to, even on the XL. Maybe some more time will help.

Fynn
10-04-2014, 05:25 PM
I've played a bit of the demo and will be getting this for Christmas. Please don't abandon this game until then XD

Also, can't wait to play as Shulk.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-04-2014, 11:53 PM
I'll play a round or two with you when you get it, Fynn.

Skyblade
10-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Personally, quite disappointed in it so far. One of the worst Nintendo games I've played in years.

Markus. D
10-05-2014, 12:32 PM
im working through the harder half of the second panel of challenges (i only got it yesterday :{). i really like it, even the barebones feel of the 3ds version that i keep seeing people condemn. rosalina has some amazing custom variants and a cool default set too (she feels like a very refined ice climbers). i also really like how non-overkill meta knight feels this time around.

what i do think what would instantly improve this game would be being able to bring the custom movesets outside of the modes they're locked into (i mean have you seen some of sak's fave franchises? clearly there's no issues with keeping balance in mind).

Endless
10-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Personally, quite disappointed in it so far. One of the worst Nintendo games I've played in years.

You just haven't looked enough, it's far from the worst Nintendo has produced in the past years. Play-wise, it suffers a little from the way the controls on the 3DS are made compared to the way the GC controller works, and it's no surprise that Nintendo is actually bringing a GC->WiiU adapter this xmas season. Otherwise it feels and plays like a SSB game, with a wide enough roster (remember, SSB on the N64 had a roster of only 12, SSBM had 26, SSBB had 39, and this one has 49-51), a variety of play modes, challenges, and a lot to collect and personalize for the obsessive collectors and overachievers out there.

If you want actual bad Nintendo games, try Steel Diver: Sub Wars (it's a free game on the 3DS eshop), Pokemon Battle Trozei, Yoshi's New Island, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games or Game & Wario.

Markus. D
10-05-2014, 04:43 PM
we don't talk about yoshi's new island :(

Depression Moon
10-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Yoshi's New Island already came out? Damn, and it looked like it was going to be good.

Sephex
10-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm having fun with it. Then again, I actually play the game and don't want them to remake Melee over and over again.

Skyblade
10-05-2014, 09:13 PM

You just haven't looked enough, it's far from the worst Nintendo has produced in the past years. Play-wise, it suffers a little from the way the controls on the 3DS are made compared to the way the GC controller works, and it's no surprise that Nintendo is actually bringing a GC->WiiU adapter this xmas season. Otherwise it feels and plays like a SSB game, with a wide enough roster (remember, SSB on the N64 had a roster of only 12, SSBM had 26, SSBB had 39, and this one has 49-51), a variety of play modes, challenges, and a lot to collect and personalize for the obsessive collectors and overachievers out there.

If you want actual bad Nintendo games, try Steel Diver: Sub Wars (it's a free game on the 3DS eshop), Pokemon Battle Trozei, Yoshi's New Island, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games or Game & Wario.

I played Yoshi's New Island and actually found it superior to this one. Sure, it was just a rip off of the original, but it was a decent rip-off.

This game is just littered with design problems. Smash Run, one of the huge selling points, is nearly unplayable. To start with, you can't adjust the difficulty and the foes are set to what would have been the second highest difficulty on Subspace Emissary. The entire thing happens too fast, especially the challenge rooms, where you can get thrown in and die in less than a second before you can even asses the situation fully. Some MORON decided to not make the map the default bottom screen display, making you waste precious time in a game that is already very fast paced. The ending battles are too short. And you can't decide what ending battles you get.

That's just Smash Run.

Challenge Mode. Whoever designed it needs to be fired and never work in game design again. Tons of challenges! But only one screen at a time. So if there's one you can't complete, good luck, because you'll never get the chance to move on to any others. Oh, and we'll tie some of them to what RNG drops you get. Just to make it fair.

The Difficulty. Ok, I like the free scaling, but the reward system is totally broken. If you aren't playing on at least 5.0, there's a good chance you'll be getting nothing for half your matches. So if you're a mediocre player, too bad, it'll take a year to unlock all the customizations and trophies.

And Online threw up an error as soon as I tried it, so I haven't bothered since.

The gameplay itself is fantastic, but it needs more options, a ton more customization for Smash Run to make it casually viable, and some better design on the unlock systems.

Endless
10-05-2014, 11:53 PM
I played Yoshi's New Island and actually found it superior to this one. Sure, it was just a rip off of the original, but it was a decent rip-off.

This game is just littered with design problems. Smash Run, one of the huge selling points, is nearly unplayable. To start with, you can't adjust the difficulty and the foes are set to what would have been the second highest difficulty on Subspace Emissary. The entire thing happens too fast, especially the challenge rooms, where you can get thrown in and die in less than a second before you can even asses the situation fully. Some MORON decided to not make the map the default bottom screen display, making you waste precious time in a game that is already very fast paced. The ending battles are too short. And you can't decide what ending battles you get.

That's just Smash Run.

Smash run got considerably easier once I realized that equipped powers are meant to be used during the run part of smash run. Better equipment than the base one also helps. The rest I agree with, so here's to hoping they patch in improvements.

Challenge Mode. Whoever designed it needs to be fired and never work in game design again. Tons of challenges! But only one screen at a time. So if there's one you can't complete, good luck, because you'll never get the chance to move on to any others. Oh, and we'll tie some of them to what RNG drops you get. Just to make it fair.

I haven't tried specifically to get past the first screen (I play Hyrule Warriors too, and work otherwise), but you can use hammers to break the one or two you may miss at the end of each page. Hammers don't carry over from one page to another, so use them to pass a page.

The Difficulty. Ok, I like the free scaling, but the reward system is totally broken. If you aren't playing on at least 5.0, there's a good chance you'll be getting nothing for half your matches. So if you're a mediocre player, too bad, it'll take a year to unlock all the customizations and trophies.

I've been playing at 3.5-4 so far, and I rarely get nothing, but yeah, it's a bit slow. You can cheat the game a little too to improve your odds if you use the home button (it pauses the wheel, if you see you're in a red gift you want, return to the game using A, it'll stop the wheel).

And Online threw up an error as soon as I tried it, so I haven't bothered since.

The gameplay itself is fantastic, but it needs more options, a ton more customization for Smash Run to make it casually viable, and some better design on the unlock systems.

I totally agree with online matches. I tried a few and it lagged horribly. Maybe online play with friends in the same area is better.

Dat Matt
10-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I feel that the 3DS version will be vastly inferior to the Wii U version so I'm waiting for that just now.

Skyblade
10-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Ok, so I found a way to drastically reduce the difficulty of Smash Run: Play as Robin. Nosferatu kills things and heals you. I've reduced the number of times I've died in the average match from four down to one or none.

Exposure also helps you understand how some of the rooms play out. I've gotten to actually enjoy the mode some.

Markus. D
10-07-2014, 12:46 PM
the sword form is my biggest struggle because i'm not use to the ledge or air dodge mechanics yet ><;

"OH GOD IT'S NOT ATTACKING ME" srsly it's terrifying.

Nicolas
10-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Well, it looks like there isn't much of a wait for SB on the Wii U seeing as it's out on Nov. 21st in the NA region.

Skyblade
10-07-2014, 03:54 PM
the sword form is my biggest struggle because i'm not use to the ledge or air dodge mechanics yet ><;

Sword form of Master Core?

Actually, I found the entire Master Core fight less challenging than Master Hand and Crazy Hand combined. Still a challenge, but not as hectic, therefore easier.

Markus. D
10-07-2014, 05:29 PM

Sword form of Master Core?

Actually, I found the entire Master Core fight less challenging than Master Hand and Crazy Hand combined. Still a challenge, but not as hectic, therefore easier.

s'good to know.

Dat Matt
10-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Can this thread also be used for discussion of Amiibo? Smash for Wii U is the first game to utilize Amiibo. Anyways, there was a second wave of Amiibo announced which will release around the release of Smash for Wii U

https://i.imgur.com/TzskpEq.jpg

Endless
10-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Unsurprisingly, only NA can preorder Amiibos from Nintendo. UK can sign up on the store to have more info. France can suck an egg.

Thankfully, there's Amazon who's still willing to take my money early >.> Kirby will be mine.

Dat Matt
12-29-2014, 10:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/J1nEfdL.jpg

So I bought all of Waves 1 and 2 of Amiibos. Little Mac is due in tomorrow and is the only one missing.

May have actually bought more shelves to hold these.

I don't have a problem...

Scotty_ffgamer
12-30-2014, 06:49 AM
The Luigi one looks so weird to me, haha.

Skyblade
04-02-2015, 12:47 AM
A little bit of a necro for this thread, but we have announcement of new DLC, as Lucas from Mother 3 is going to return as a playable character.

We also have a poll from Nintendo requesting which new character people would like to see in the series.

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

I'm voting for Isaac from Golden Sun, myself. After having him removed as an Assist Trophy, I've been despairing about the state of the Golden Sun franchise's future. I'd love to see some more publicity after getting him in as a playable character.

Depression Moon
04-02-2015, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure who I'll vote for yet, but I just want to say that I don't like Yoshi in these games. I feel he would be better if they gave him a different side b and if they made his egg throwing ricochet like in Yoshi's Island.

Skyblade
04-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Mewtwo is back!

Well, for those who bought both games (the rest have to wait a bit for him to open up on the shop for $5). He'll be easy for anyone who has played him before to pick up and run with. He plays much the same as he always did. Moves have been tweaked, as Confusion now properly reflects projectiles, instead of just deflecting them, and Disable seems more useful if you can land it.

But his core moveset is just so much fun.

He has also been added in to All-Star Mode with the other Gen I Pokémon, and has trophies and All-Star trophies as well.